The Student Room Group

BSMS Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by llessur123

Original post by llessur123
Don't know if this is appropriate to this thread, but I can't seem to find anywhere else to put it. Sorry if it isn't in the right place.

Is the medical school in Brighton or Sussex? Probably a ridiculous question but I can't seem to figure it out.
Do the medical students stay in the same accommodation as the other students? I know some universities have separate accommodation but I'm not sure.

Lol, hope this doesn't make me look too simple.

There is a rather new medical building on the Sussex campus, but then there are buildings on the Brighton campus which are used by medical students a lot too. It's more or less equally split on terms of delivery, as far as I know, because different parts of medicine are accessible on the different campuses.

As for accommodation, yeah, you go either on the Brighton or Sussex campuses along with the other students, although on my admissions day, medics were generally based on the same courts.
Reply 861
New series of junior doctors guys ! The show that is very well timed to spur us anxious medicine applicants on :biggrin:
Original post by Kevlar R
New series of junior doctors guys ! The show that is very well timed to spur us anxious medicine applicants on :biggrin:

ooh :biggrin: when does it start?
Reply 863
Original post by sachinisgod
ooh :biggrin: when does it start?

Tomorrow at 9 :biggrin:
Reply 864
International Interview!!!

Original post by .eXe
International Interview!!!

Haa, since you've been asking every other person about internationals, I imagine you're rather pleased! Well done and good luck :biggrin:
Reply 866
Original post by CraigKirk
Haa, since you've been asking every other person about internationals, I imagine you're rather pleased! Well done and good luck :biggrin:

haha you betcha! Super excited since BSMS is my 1st choice!! Looking forward to joining you in September mate (I assume you have already firmed BSMS?)
No interview yet... :frown:

Original post by .eXe
haha you betcha! Super excited since BSMS is my 1st choice!! Looking forward to joining you in September mate (I assume you have already firmed BSMS?)

I haven't - Nottingham is my first choice but they're the only ones who haven't offered me an interview yet :colonhash: Highly grateful for my current offers though! :biggrin: If I don't get into Nottingham though, I'm currently without preference on my three other choices (Manchester, St Andrews and obvs BSMS). Difficult decision to come, unless Notts take me!
Interview invite for 18th feb.
Im sooo happy.
Original post by racer_dude
Im sooo happy.

well done!! when did you find out? :smile:
Reply 871
Original post by CraigKirk
I haven't - Nottingham is my first choice but they're the only ones who haven't offered me an interview yet :colonhash: Highly grateful for my current offers though! :biggrin: If I don't get into Nottingham though, I'm currently without preference on my three other choices (Manchester, St Andrews and obvs BSMS). Difficult decision to come, unless Notts take me!

just out of curiosity, what makes notts more attractive to you? I havent applied there but I just want an idea of what sort of qualities it has that other schools (like BSMS) may not.
Reply 872
Original post by racer_dude
Im sooo happy.

Me too!! I just got mine today :smile: See you on the 18th then (:

Original post by .eXe
just out of curiosity, what makes notts more attractive to you? I havent applied there but I just want an idea of what sort of qualities it has that other schools (like BSMS) may not.

One of the big selling points is the BMedSci taken alongside the BMBS - that's two degrees in the time taken for one! AFAIK, Notts is the only UK Medical School that offers this! It'll put me at a great advantage for academic medicine, which I'm quite interested in. :smile:

Otherwise, the course at Nottingham is rather similar - it's integrated there also. Also, I've been there a million times on summer schools/masterclasses/courses etc. and I just love it there, especially for it's campus if nothing else! Oh, they have a baby grand piano in the foyer too who anyone can just go and play. :ahee: Little touches!

EDIT: OH, I forgot to mention teh full body dissection! :awesome:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by nickhunt1993
Letter rejection 19/01/2012.. Damn! :s-smilie:

Mind telling us your stats?
Reply 875
Have any graduates been invited for an interview yet?
Reply 876
Nope, just been asked for transcripts ..
Unsuccessful! I guess a first class degree and volunteering during x-mas and summer vacations doesn't cut it, I believe they had even more students apply this year than last year, talk about competitive, got an interview from Keele, best prepare from that, haven't yet heard back from Aberdeen and Leeds. Good luck to the rest of you, and congrats to those who got in. Am trying to get through them on phone right now to get more exact feedback on my rejection. As mentioned in these forums they don't give e-mails or letters of rejection, they just update UCAS.
Reply 878
Original post by Thanatos833
Unsuccessful! I guess a first class degree and volunteering during x-mas and summer vacations doesn't cut it, I believe they had even more students apply this year than last year, talk about competitive, got an interview from Keele, best prepare from that, haven't yet heard back from Aberdeen and Leeds. Good luck to the rest of you, and congrats to those who got in. Am trying to get through them on phone right now to get more exact feedback on my rejection. As mentioned in these forums they don't give e-mails or letters of rejection, they just update UCAS.

sorry to hear about your rejection, I assume you are international? Since you have a first class degree you should have automatically received 15/15 on academics. you needed a 10.5/15 on non-academics score to get interview. I think you may have just missed it. Either that or they increased score required for interview perhaps. good luck on your other choices
Yeah I am an international, congrats on your getting one of the six international places.

EDIT: I wonder if the fact that I put down my GCSE grade B as "pending" had something to do with it. Another factor that might have worked against me is that due to illness I had to repeat my 3rd year on the basis of extenuating circumstances (got uncapped resits). Apparently they have a thing against resit grades, although when I phoned them last year (while I was preparing my UCAS application and finalizing my choices) one lady there told me that it didn't matter, and for a short while they also removed the "resit grades not accepted" thing from their website, some time after it was put up again. Apparently one the key guys in their medical faculty had decided to put it up initially, I don't know why they took it down and then put it up again after I had applied, it seems their policy wasn't very clear on that, odd thing that. Anyway I've sent a e-mail to admissions feedback.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending