The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kevinbarry
Thanks Re Atheistwithfaith,

I'll give it some thought. I used traditional Japanese music as it seemed appropriate and I found some that is in the public domain. I'll look for other Japanese music and see what I can find.

Do you think a lower volume would help, kind of like quiet muzak and much more in the background?

I think it was just the type of muzak itself. If it's done with better samples then it's not so distracting but the 'MIDIness' of it made it seem very Windows 95. At least, that is how I felt.
I have now put Part 2 in the series "Japanese Culture" up online. It is at http://vimeo.com/35520751

I reduced the volume of the background music considerably and altered a few music items. If anyone has a view about the background music and whether it is a distraction, please post! I am still trying to improve and maybe even get it right - and there are more Parts to come.
I was walking back from uni today and bumped into a guy I'd met on a field trip and we talked the entire 30 min walk home in Japanese. It sounds like a small thing, but seriously it's the longest sustained conversation I've had in Japanese and it was brilliant :biggrin:

Also why haven't we had a TSR tokyo meet yet?
Reply 1823
Original post by screenager2004
I was walking back from uni today and bumped into a guy I'd met on a field trip and we talked the entire 30 min walk home in Japanese. It sounds like a small thing, but seriously it's the longest sustained conversation I've had in Japanese and it was brilliant :biggrin:

Also why haven't we had a TSR tokyo meet yet?

How many of us are there? :P
Original post by Azimuth
How many of us are there? :P

I thought there were maybe three or four of us out here at the moment. Maybe that was just my imagination?

ROLL CALL!!!

Also as a side note, earlier this month I was being a bit of a misery-guts on this thread, happy to say I have got over the worst of my culture shock now I think :smile: So thanks to supportive people who encouraged me to 我慢する!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks to Ashe for the language comments; and a question to Atheist - does #2 sound any better?
Back again! The third video in the series about Japanese culture went online today. I decided to stay with music behind the photographs, but reduced the volume quite a bit. If anyone finds it distracting I figure the solution is to freeze the video and examine the photograph at leisure in silence, then move on when ready. It’s a bit of a kludge but it would work.

The issues dealt with in the series so far are:

First video - Introduction http://vimeo.com/35059494
The consciousness of being Japanese is part of a powerful nationalism
The desire to conform is strongly built into the national psyche
There is no strong class system in Japan
Japan took the lead in the industrialisation of Asia

Second video - Society and Social Change http://vimeo.com/35520751
Attitudes towards failure and the Second World War
Youth versus age the generation gap
The work ethic is strong

Third video - Society and Social Change http://vimeo.com/35764716
Appearance versus reality
Memory can beat the actual event
Symbolism spirits and demons

I shall be taking a short break from video making as I have other things to do in life and I find a video takes a long time to finish. I expect to get back to working on the next in the series in a few weeks time. It will continue the theme of “symbolism in the culture” as I feel that I have more to say here.

I'll post again when number four goes up.
Reply 1827
JLPT results are out for those that took it in Japan. I passed N1! No more JLPT :biggrin:
Reply 1828
Original post by Azimuth
JLPT results are out for those that took it in Japan. I passed N1! No more JLPT :biggrin:

おめでとおおお!!
俺も今年1級受けよう と思ってる^^
Does anyone know of any airlines that do quite cheap flights to tokyo? For April for 3 weeks and i'm getting prices around 600 which isn't bad but if there was any 'bargins' people knew of it'd be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1830
Original post by pongalo
Does anyone know of any airlines that do quite cheap flights to tokyo? For April for 3 weeks and i'm getting prices around 600 which isn't bad but if there was any 'bargins' people knew of it'd be much appreciated :smile:

Haha damn you, I was planning to do the same thing but problems getting passport XD

Hmm, the cheapest I found when I was looking around various sites was around 530 ^^;

Have fun for me too :biggrin:
Original post by Ash S
Haha damn you, I was planning to do the same thing but problems getting passport XD

Hmm, the cheapest I found when I was looking around various sites was around 530 ^^;

Have fun for me too :biggrin:

Its getting time off work thats the difficult part for me! do you know what the site was? i've tried pretty much everywhere with travel supermarket being the best at 550. I'm pretty sure i'll have enough fun for 2 so thats not a problem! :smile:
Reply 1832
Original post by pongalo
Its getting time off work thats the difficult part for me! do you know what the site was? i've tried pretty much everywhere with travel supermarket being the best at 550. I'm pretty sure i'll have enough fun for 2 so thats not a problem! :smile:

It was japantravel.co.uk I was using mostly :smile:
Sorry I can't be more help but good luck! Have you been to Japan before?^^
Original post by Ash S
It was japantravel.co.uk I was using mostly :smile:
Sorry I can't be more help but good luck! Have you been to Japan before?^^

I'll look there, thank you!
No, I'm a japanovirgin :wink: I've been obsessed with the place since i got into anime (studio ghibli mainly) so the ghibli museum is somewhere i MUST go! Have you been?
Hi again, does anyone know where's best to stay in tokyo? the hostel we're thinking of is in the Saitama Prefecture becuase it's cheap (not sure how good the location is) and all the hostels seem to say 'great location' which doesnt help :s So basically, does it make a huge difference if we're going to be getting the train most places (into the city centre etc), and are there areas to avoid staying in? And in which prefecture would you say the 'centre' of the city is?
Original post by pongalo
Hi again, does anyone know where's best to stay in tokyo? the hostel we're thinking of is in the Saitama Prefecture becuase it's cheap (not sure how good the location is) and all the hostels seem to say 'great location' which doesnt help :s So basically, does it make a huge difference if we're going to be getting the train most places (into the city centre etc), and are there areas to avoid staying in? And in which prefecture would you say the 'centre' of the city is?

I'm living in Saitama, so if you tell me where you are looking at staying I can tell you how easy the access is and how long it will take you (+first/last trains) and also the cost.

Saying where the 'centre' of Tokyo is, is sortof difficult - depends what criteria you are using. Most people would probably say Shinjuku or Shibuya I guess. It really depends what you want to see. Having to get a train into 'Tokyo' in the morning is not gonna be a big deal because you will need to get trains between all the different 'wards'/areas of Tokyo anyway. It's a biiiiig ass place Tokyo and it feels like it never ends.

The first time I came to Japan I stayed in Tokyo for a month on the east side of the city near Hammamatsu-cho. Despite being technically fairly central to the city, it still took ~20minutes on the underground at least to get to any attractions I wanted to see.
Original post by atheistwithfaith
I'm living in Saitama, so if you tell me where you are looking at staying I can tell you how easy the access is and how long it will take you (+first/last trains) and also the cost.

Saying where the 'centre' of Tokyo is, is sortof difficult - depends what criteria you are using. Most people would probably say Shinjuku or Shibuya I guess. It really depends what you want to see. Having to get a train into 'Tokyo' in the morning is not gonna be a big deal because you will need to get trains between all the different 'wards'/areas of Tokyo anyway. It's a biiiiig ass place Tokyo and it feels like it never ends.

The first time I came to Japan I stayed in Tokyo for a month on the east side of the city near Hammamatsu-cho. Despite being technically fairly central to the city, it still took ~20minutes on the underground at least to get to any attractions I wanted to see.

You're just legendary! :biggrin: I don't know if i'm allowed to put the link but the address is
2-11-11 Nishi-Kawaguchi,kawaguchi-shi, Saitama Prefecture.
and by the look of the map it looks close to a train line. I'm going with two others and for me (at least) 20 minutes isn't bad on the train. I got the impression it was a big place, but it's size is still going to baffle me when i get there! Any tips on getting train tickets? is it worth buying a week ticket do you think?
Reply 1837
I wouldn't stay in Saitama. Getting into Tokyo every day would just be a pain. There are plenty of places in Tokyo you can stay.
Original post by pongalo
You're just legendary! :biggrin: I don't know if i'm allowed to put the link but the address is
2-11-11 Nishi-Kawaguchi,kawaguchi-shi, Saitama Prefecture.
and by the look of the map it looks close to a train line. I'm going with two others and for me (at least) 20 minutes isn't bad on the train. I got the impression it was a big place, but it's size is still going to baffle me when i get there! Any tips on getting train tickets? is it worth buying a week ticket do you think?

From Kawaguchi Station it's about 20mins to Ueno, 20mins to Shinjuku (if you time the trains right), 25mins to Akihabara, and ~30mins to Shibuya. The tickets will cost ~200-300yen one way depending where you go to. Return ticket shouldn't cost too much more. Most of your transport money is gonna be spent moving about within Tokyo city itself.

I would disagree with Azimuth. If you are staying in South Saitama, then it's much quicker to reach 'central' Tokyo than many places throughout the whole of Tokyo Prefecture. The pain in the ass with being in Saitama is that you need to head back home at like 11.20-12midnight depending on where you are living, otherwise you gotta do an all nighter. I don't know how much the difference in cost is but if it is a big saving compared to being 'in' Tokyo then I'd say it's worth it.

I don't know about week ticket prices or anything like that sorry. I have an equivalent of an Oyster Card -- a Suica Card -- and I just load that up with cash and use it in that way so I don't really know about discounts on a set route across a week. When I visited for a month in 2008, I didn't bother getting a card and just bought tickets every day -- but that can be a bit of a faff/hassle sometimes. Staying here now, having a card is SO much easier. There is a 500yen deposit to get a Suica Card, but you can just load it up with cash whenever you are getting low and all you need to do is swipe it over the ticket gate as you pass through and saves you the hassle of trying to work out how much your ticket will cost by looking at the big maps (in smaller stations/outside of Tokyo there is often no romanised script to tell you its name -- only Kanji or Hiragana).
I'm back! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest