The Student Room Group

Italy or Spain?

I'm thinking of travelling to either Italy or Spain for 2 weeks, for anyone who has travelled to both which country did you prefer and why? It can take anything into account eg weather, beaches, cities, culture, friendliness of people etc

I've heard great things about both countries so any input would be much appreciated!

(P,S by Spain I do NOT include places like Magaluf / drunken locations)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I went to Spain and Italy in the same year. Spain was okay, I went to the southern coast. Italy was fantastic, I went to Sorrento and everything was brilliant. I think it depends on which part you plan to go to, but overall, I'd suggest Italy.
Reply 2
Original post by BenWood!X
I went to Spain and Italy in the same year. Spain was okay, I went to the southern coast. Italy was fantastic, I went to Sorrento and everything was brilliant. I think it depends on which part you plan to go to, but overall, I'd suggest Italy.

Thanks for your reply! If you don't mind me asking, what did you prefer overall?

Does Italy have better weather?
Reply 3
overall I thought Italy was more enjoyable but Spain had a wider variety of things to do... but overall I liked Italy best and the weather tends to be better in Italy. Oh, and you're welcome:biggrin:
Reply 4
I prefer Italy. I'm regularly in Milan, and have travelled all my way down to Sicily (last summer).

Culturally, the cities, the people, not to mention the weather...

Lovely part of the world to travel and experience.
Been to both, lived in Spain. Both are amazing and have great weather. Spain is significantly hotter inland in midsummer.

Obviously Spain is bigger as well and you won't be able to hop around in two weeks like you could in Italy where it's slightly more compact. If you're going in summer Italy will be significantly more touristy in the big cities ie Rome, Venice, Naples, Sorrento and Florence. In Spain if you're lucky only Barcelona and Granada out of the worthwhile cities will be heaving. Beaches are good in both but have a good reputation on the Spanish Costas. Barcelona beach is one of the worst.

The Milanese have a reputation for being cold, being the Londoners or Parisians of Italy. Romans on the other hand are purportedly friendlier. The Spanish are known all over as easygoing, perhaps except in Barcelona, but many there would deny being Spanish!

Spain is also significantly cheaper on a day-to-day basis.

Now I've written this, I want to just go back to Rome and arse around, since I've seen it all :moon:
(edited 3 years ago)
As an Italian I prefer italy, but both are good either way.
Reply 7
Pasta or tapas?
Reply 8
Original post by Alpharius
I prefer Italy. I'm regularly in Milan, and have travelled all my way down to Sicily (last summer).

Culturally, the cities, the people, not to mention the weather...

Lovely part of the world to travel and experience.

Thanks! In what way is the weather better in Italy? How important is learning Italian before you go there, or the basics at least, do people there speak English or French much?

Original post by rockrunride
Been to both, lived in Spain. Both are amazing and have great weather. Spain is significantly hotter inland in midsummer.

Obviously Spain is bigger as well and you won't be able to hop around in two weeks like you could in Italy where it's slightly more compact. If you're going in summer Italy will be significantly more touristy in the big cities ie Rome, Venice, Naples, Sorrento and Florence. In Spain if you're lucky only Barcelona and Granada out of the worthwhile cities will be heaving. Beaches are good in both but have a good reputation on the Spanish Costas. Barcelona beach is one of the worst.

The Milanese have a reputation for being cold, being the Londoners or Parisians of Italy. My housemate is from Milan and it shows slightly! Romans on the other hand are purportedly friendlier. The Spanish are known all over as easygoing, perhaps except in Barcelona, but many there would deny being Spanish!

Spain is also significantly cheaper on a day-to-day basis.

Now I've written this, I want to just go back to Rome and arse around, since I've seen it all :moon:

Thanks for your response! What else can you do in the beachy areas of Spain eg Malaga? Which do you personally prefer?
Reply 9
Original post by Summering
Thanks! In what way is the weather better in Italy? How important is learning Italian before you go there, or the basics at least, do people there speak English or French much?

Many understand english, not sure about french, but it depends on how long your staying there. It is always polite to know the basics (at least look like your trying).
Thanks for your response! What else can you do in the beachy areas of Spain eg Malaga? Which do you personally prefer?

Firstly I wouldn't recommend Málaga as a city to visit as there's pretty much nothing there of interest that can't be seen elsewhere. But there are loads of resort towns on the Costa del Sol that are worth visiting even if frequented by lots of Brits. If you're asking which country I prefer, I can't really answer as I've lived in one and not the other so am biased towards Spain.

Worth noting that outside tourist areas in Spain, English levels will be pretty low. Probably slightly better for Italy.
Original post by rockrunride
Firstly I wouldn't recommend Málaga as a city to visit as there's pretty much nothing there of interest that can't be seen elsewhere. But there are loads of resort towns on the Costa del Sol that are worth visiting even if frequented by lots of Brits. If you're asking which country I prefer, I can't really answer as I've lived in one and not the other so am biased towards Spain.

Worth noting that outside tourist areas in Spain, English levels will be pretty low. Probably slightly better for Italy.

Slightly being the key word.

During the summer tourists swarm to cities like Roma, Milano, Venezia, Napoli and Firenze. Lots of ancient ruins, and great weather, so not surprising. However its nowhere near as bad as parts of Spain in that sence.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm thinking of travelling to either Italy or Spain for 2 weeks, for anyone who has travelled to both which country did you prefer and why? It can take anything into account eg weather, beaches, cities, culture, friendliness of people etc

I've heard great things about both countries so any input would be much appreciated!

(P,S by Spain I do NOT include places like Magaluf / drunken locations)

Italy, Spain was okay but Italy, there is just something about the country, the people and the culture that one cannot explain. I love Italy, the nightlife in Firenze (for example) is very good so if you were planning on going out for a night it is fun :smile:
Original post by Alpharius
During the summer tourists swarm to cities like Fiorentina.

That is a football club... in the city of Firenze.
Reply 14
Original post by tehFrance
Italy, Spain was okay but Italy, there is just something about the country, the people and the culture that one cannot explain. I love Italy, the nightlife in Firenze (for example) is very good so if you were planning on going out for a night it is fun :smile:

Thanks, I've been looking at this question on things like yahoo answers and a lot of people have said the same thing (Italy over Spain for the culture, sights, art etc). I know I keep asking this but what's the comparison of weather / beaches between Italy and Spain? Is spain hotter and has better beaches or are Italian beaches nice too (tbh I've never really heard someone go to Italy for beaches mainly the culture). What else is there to do in Spain (and Italy)?

[Also seeing as youre from France how do you think South of France vs Italy compares?]

:colondollar:
Thanks, I've been looking at this question on things like yahoo answers and a lot of people have said the same thing (Italy over Spain for the culture, sights, art etc). I know I keep asking this but what's the comparison of weather / beaches between Italy and Spain? Is spain hotter and has better beaches or are Italian beaches nice too (tbh I've never really heard someone go to Italy for beaches mainly the culture). What else is there to do in Spain (and Italy)?

[Also seeing as youre from France how do you think South of France vs Italy compares?]

:colondollar:

Personally I like the beaches more in Italy... the women are more beautiful in Italy than Spain :wink:

You can do the same in Spain as in Italy, it is just different and better in Italy, you have to go to understand I think though :smile:

The south of France is nicer... mainly because I am around natives and it is just easier to do things.
Original post by tehFrance
That is a football club... in the city of Firenze.

Thats true.

I watch far too much Serie A. :tongue:
Reply 17
You're all ignorants, I'm pretty sure Spain beats Italy in many ways that is why there are more tourist going there almost doubled up the number of those tourists in Italy. Spain is more vibrant and more relaxing country than Italy.
Reply 18
spain
Both are great countries to visit!! As many people mention it all depends on where you want to go and what you want to see. The northern part of the countries are slightly cooler in the summer and the southern parts may be unbearable to someone not used to the weather. As I personally live in Spain, I would recommend visiting here (and the northern parts of the country such as Galicia, Asturias, and the Basque Country are all great places to visit in the heat of summer). On the other hand, I do plan to personally spend a couple of weeks in the Italian country side this week.

Really it all boils down to what you want to see, eat, and how many tourist you want to deal with.

Best, Claudia
sincerelyspain.com

Quick Reply

Latest