The Student Room Group

Looking for opinions on my situation

I am of UK nationality and have lived outside of the UK for the past 3 years. As a result, I have attainted 6 A*s and 4As (in CIE IGCSE) at an international English school and am nearing the completion of my AS levels and am beginning to consider where I would like to apply for University, and what your opinions may be on my chances of acceptance. I hope to study Economics.

I will be continuing the following AS Levels to A Level: Maths, Economics, Physics and History (with the exception of Thinking Skills). I expect to receive and A, A, A and A/B at AS respectively. In addition, I will be picking up AS Further Maths next year. For A level, I would foresee myself attaining the following grades: (A* Maths, A* Economics, A Physics, A/B History and a C or above in AS Further Maths). I am also a school prefect and am involved in my school music's department (however, I doubt the high caliber Universities I wish to apply you will have much regard for this).

Now that the dry facts are out of the way, I would like to ask for the following questions:

1. Would I be likely to receive and offer from Cambridge/LSE?
2. Would Cambridge unofficially 'like' the fact that I've used their exam board?
3. As I have done international qualifications and have lived outside of the UK for 3 years, would it be advantageous to apply as an international student (as the level of my qualifications would be compared students who also did international exams as opposed to the easier GCSEs and A-Levels).

I recognise that I am a very unique case; however I would highly appreciate any help which could be provided (my school is fairly useless in telling me what I need to know, as while it follows a British curriculum, most student leave to US Universities after year 12).

Thanks a lot!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Hebbamundo
I am of UK nationality and have lived outside of the UK for the past 3 years. As a result, I have attainted 6 A*s and 4As (in CIE IGCSE) at an international English school and am nearing the completion of my AS levels and am beginning to consider where I would like to apply for University, and what your opinions may be on my chances of acceptance. I hope to study Economics.A and A/B at AS respectively. In addition, I will be picking up AS Further Maths next year. For A level, I would foresee myself attaining the following grades: (A* Maths, A* Economics, A Physics, A/B History and a C or above in AS Further Maths). I am also a school prefect and am involved in my school music's department (however, I doubt the high caliber Universities I wish to apply you will have much regard for this).

I will be continuing the following AS Levels to A Level: Maths, Economics, Physics and History (with the exception of Thinking Skills). I expect to receive and A, A,*
Now that the dry facts are out of the way, I would like to ask for the following questions:

2. Would Cambridge unofficially 'like' the fact that I've used their exam board?
3. As I have done international qualifications and have lived outside of the UK for 3 years, would it be advantageous to apply as an international student (as the level of my qualifications would be compared students who also did international exams as opposed to the easier GCSEs and A-Levels).

I recognise that I am a very unique case; however I would highly appreciate any help which could be provided (my school is fairly useless in telling me what I need to know, as while it follows a British curriculum, most student leave to US Universities after year 12).

Thanks a lot!

1) no-one knows, most Cambridge and LSE applicants are predicted top grades. LSE places a big emphasis on the personal statement and Cambridge of course both the PS and the interview.
2) it wouldnt make a difference, plenty of students in British schools take OCR exams which are a part of the same department of Cambridge University as the CIE exams
3) usually the universities will decide whether you have home or international status, you don't choose- if you have been outside the EU then its likely your status will be international and you will have to pay the international fees

1. If you get good A-level results (AAA+) and write a great PS (esp. LSE) and do great in the interview (Cambridge), then yes!
2. It would make zero difference.
3. If you have been living outside the UK and EU for the past 3 years, and unless specific conditions are met (e.g. you're abroad because of military posting of a parent), you would be classified as international student, even if you hold a British passport. Either way, it would not be your choice to make - the university will assess whether you're a Home or International student for you, and that'll be that.
Reply 3
So would it be an advantage that the uni makes the choice about my fee status? ie. If they want me but have run out of home student spots, they can offer me an international spot (and vice versa)?

I think that because my parents own property in the UK (and pay council tax) I would be eligible for home student fee status; however, I believe that this is still up to the uni.
So would it be an advantage that the uni makes the choice about my fee status? ie. If they want me but have run out of home student spots, they can offer me an international spot (and vice versa)?

I think that because my parents own property in the UK (and pay council tax) I would be eligible for home student fee status; however, I believe that this is still up to the uni.

Your fee status will make negligible difference to your chances. If you're good enough, they'll take you, if not, then not.

Your fee status is based on where you are 'ordinarily resident' - this is defined quite broadly, but basically tests whether your normal home is in the UK. If you've moved with family, don't plan to return soon, got all the stuff elsewhere and don't come back to the UK all the time, you will most likely be assessed as not 'ordinarily resident', thus not UK student for fee purposes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending