The Student Room Group

No friends starting college

It’s been my first week and a bit at college and I haven’t made friends with anybody. Everyone already looks like they’ve made friends apart from a few people who I’ve spoken to and most of them are very strange.
I’ve joined a science club which starts soon but I think it will be more work focused than actually social.
I’m shy and nervous so when I speak to people I feel a bit awkward and don’t know what to do when they don’t bother making effort at conversation back. I’m worried it’s going to be just like my school experience repeated where I was always by myself.
Does anybody have any idea how to help?
Reply 1
Best advice is to be confident in yourself. Don't be afraid of of awkwardness as that can happen to a lot of people.
Communication and making new friends is a skill and some are inherently good at the skill while some need to work on it.
In this case all you need is to be more confident and find people with common interests and people who value your opinion. Let your opinion be heard at college. Keep practicing the skill of communicating and you'll get better at it each day, yes there may be times of awkward situations but that's life. I personally watch and play football and that has greatly helped me with starting conversations with random people, so have some things in your arsenal. You don't need every single person in college to know you or be your friend. You only need a handful of great friends. All the best of luck!!
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest