The Student Room Group

Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bkeevin
From what I remember of Mourinho's Inter they did not develop any good football against Bayern or Barcelona in both legs. They all defended like hell proceeded by counter attack with a clinical Milito infront. Their ball possession against Bayern in the final was below 33%.
They played played a tactical but unattractive football that won them the competition so kuddos to them. But they were not the best team in europe and were in a similar situation as Chelsea is today.

At the San Siro they attacked Barcelona just as much as Barca attacked them and won 3-1.

The Nou Camp match was defensive, but to play any other way there is almost suicide.
Reply 1801
Original post by Stu Laverty
At the San Siro they attacked Barcelona just as much as Barca attacked them and won 3-1.

The Nou Camp match was defensive, but to play any other way there is almost suicide.

OK Inter's win may not have been the best example to give of a team winning when they clearly are not the best but Italy's win in the world cup 2006(Zidane and Henry's France were worthier) or even Greece in Euro 2004 really get my goat!!!
I was simply trying to illustrate that you can also find useless teams overperforming even in the CL and it is not limited to the Europa League as one guy was claiming
Reply 1802
Spurs should really be in the Champions League.

They finished 4th.

UEFA should allow 5 English teams in these situations.
Reply 1803
Original post by TRS-T
Spurs should really be in the Champions League.

They finished 4th.

UEFA should allow 5 English teams in these situations.

I think that is the team who wins the CL finishes outside of a CL qualifying place they should go in with absolutely no interruption to the standard situation as well. I think it is ridiculous that it is an either/or situation.
Original post by marcusmerehay
The EL is Europe's `League Cup' to the CL as the FA Cup.

Widely seen as the inferior trophy which is why so many sub-par teams (in European terms) have made finals in recent years.

Middlesbrough were runners-up 6 years ago, and Rangers 4 years ago - that should tell you all you need to know.

Middlesborough were a rather decent and hard team to beat 6 years ago. They had Yakubu and Downing and Hasselbaink and Mendieta in the team and I seem to recall that was the year they walloped Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd at the Riverside.

Original post by Mister Dead
If you don't realise the implications then you are a complete and utter fool

Barcelona missed out completely in 2003 as did AC Milan in 2008 and Bayern Munich in 2007. That really absolutely destroyed them, didn't it? :rolleyes:
Original post by bkeevin
the Italian veterans undeservedly winning it in 2006.

Bull****.

Veterans when most of team were just about the right age for players to peak?

Undeservedly when they had a spine of quality - Buffon, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Pirlo, Totti, Toni to name but a few - and deserved it far more than that medicore Brazillian lot four years earlier which was a true example of forgettable overachieving champions?

France deserve it more? The thought of Pascal Chimbonda with a World Cup winners medal is too laughable for words!
Original post by robocop1andahalf
Middlesborough were a rather decent and hard team to beat 6 years ago. They had Yakubu and Downing and Hasselbaink and Mendieta in the team and I seem to recall that was the year they walloped Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd at the Riverside.

Barcelona missed out completely in 2003 as did AC Milan in 2008 and Bayern Munich in 2007. That really absolutely destroyed them, didn't it? :rolleyes:

Tottenham are far from barcelona, milan and bayern in terms of being a big club. Really they're a europa league winning team who'll get to the last 16 or with a bit of luck on the side get to the quarters. But as the english sidestep the europa league and that tottenham overacheived in the CL in 2011 they have the mentality that they should be in the CL. Same thing goes for liverpool.
Bull****.

Veterans when most of team were just about the right age for players to peak?

Undeservedly when they had a spine of quality - Buffon, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Pirlo, Totti, Toni to name but a few - and deserved it far more than that medicore Brazillian lot four years earlier which was a true example of forgettable overachieving champions?

France deserve it more? The thought of Pascal Chimbonda with a World Cup winners medal is too laughable for words!

What do you mean that brazil were mediocre?
Ronaldo, juninho, lucio, cafu, dida in the spine, not to forget players like rivaldo, ronaldinho and a young kaka. Heck they were probably better than the current spain team.

Who said anything about destroying Spurs, but it will set them back years.

We don't need to have a discussion about the difference between Barca, AC, Bayern and |Tottenham Hotspur do we? Because as optomistic as you may be, it 'aint the same

edit - sorry, should have assumed someone else would have already pointed out the obvious. I don't think i'm exaggerating when I say it might take years, even under the same manager, for Spurs to recover from this. Terrible, terrible luck.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Tottenham are far from barcelona, milan and bayern in terms of being a big club. Really they're a europa league winning team who'll get to the last 16 or with a bit of luck on the side get to the quarters. But as the english sidestep the europa league and that tottenham overacheived in the CL in 2011 they have the mentality that they should be in the CL. Same thing goes for liverpool.

And so they so they should. They finished in fourth place and any other year that would have been a CL finish. They also suffered terribly from the whole England manager saga and what happened with Muamba. They had every right to believe they were good enough to be in the CL.
Original post by Mister Dead
And so they so they should. They finished in fourth place and any other year that would have been a CL finish. They also suffered terribly from the whole England manager saga and what happened with Muamba. They had every right to believe they were good enough to be in the CL.

No, I'm not saying they weren't good enough for the CL. When I meant last 16 and quarters I meant in the champions league, basically the english version of porto/marseille/valencia in the champions league who get out of their group stages and are 2nd seeds but then get whipped by the big boys before getting to the semi final. To add to the point you were making.

Juve were crippled from missing CL and so are liverpool at the moment, it can happen to any club, but it's more likely to happen to spurs due to their lack of history, the big players could just leave the club and that's it. Bale and modric are the reason they are 4th. Squad depth needs improvement and after that they can be considered as a 'big boy' team.
ah ok
This isn't necessarily so bad for Spurs - it depends on how good Levy et al are at spinning thing. If I were them I'd point out how we played for half the season and came close to challenging for the title. Stress that external factors hampered our season and that those won't be there next year. Encourage our top players to believe that if they stay and the squad is strengthened we really could challenge for the title, especially without CL distractions.

But mostly what I wanted to point out was the somewhat oddness of players like Bale, Modric etc saying "The club didn't get CL football so I want to go somewhere else". Did these players themselves have nothing to do with the club's failure to get 3rd and a definite CL spot? Don't they bear any responsibility for that? Its somewhat bizarre that players might now demand the right to leave the club because it's not good enough for them without acknowledging at all that if the club isn't good enough for the CL then maybe they aren't either?

Just a thought...
Original post by UniOfLife
This isn't necessarily so bad for Spurs - it depends on how good Levy et al are at spinning thing. If I were them I'd point out how we played for half the season and came close to challenging for the title. Stress that external factors hampered our season and that those won't be there next year. Encourage our top players to believe that if they stay and the squad is strengthened we really could challenge for the title, especially without CL distractions.

But mostly what I wanted to point out was the somewhat oddness of players like Bale, Modric etc saying "The club didn't get CL football so I want to go somewhere else". Did these players themselves have nothing to do with the club's failure to get 3rd and a definite CL spot? Don't they bear any responsibility for that? Its somewhat bizarre that players might now demand the right to leave the club because it's not good enough for them without acknowledging at all that if the club isn't good enough for the CL then maybe they aren't either?

Just a thought...

The latter always happens though. Think players' egos are far too big generally.
Reply 1814

Just a thought...

People are selfish. They don't go by what's fair, they go by what's best for them.

Seems like football players are even worse for it. There are CL clubs who want Bale/Modric, if they get an offer they won't think what's fair, they'll think what's best for them, and chances are that'll be a move.

I hope you keep them both, I think you'll keep Bale but i'm not so sure on Modric.
Reply 1815

Just a thought...

Agreed completely. What tends to make it more difficult, though, is that it's almost invariably players who play well who act like this: and the better they've done (or people think they've done), the easier it is for them (or other people) to defend their action - 'they did really well but ended up with less than expected, why shouldn't they want a move?' It's a pretty individualist misunderstanding of the game in general if you ask me. (Of course, not denying that in certain cases it's justified - le Tissier moving away from Southampton would probably have been widely understood - but I do think it happens a bit too much these days (blame the money?), also leading to the rest of the squad/other 'noticeably weaker' players and the manager being scapegoated far too easily).
Reply 1816
Don't think this has been posted: apparently Adebayor is keen to stay on even though you guys have missed out on the Champions League. :beard: What kind of wages do you think he'll be offered? What kind of wages do you want him to be offered? I remember him stating that he wouldn't take a pay-cut to move anywhere.
Original post by jam277
What do you mean that brazil were mediocre?
Ronaldo, juninho, lucio, cafu, dida in the spine, not to forget players like rivaldo, ronaldinho and a young kaka. Heck they were probably better than the current spain team.

They were nothing special, it was a ****ty freak show World Cup and they weren't even favourites or supposed to win (Argentina, France and Italy were) having been utter crap in qualifiers, they had the easiest group and only really played amazing against poor teams like China and Kaka and Juninho barely featured and Dida did not play in any case and that cheat Rivaldo and Ronaldinho were too overrated for words. The most forgettable and least deserving world champions ever.
They were nothing special, it was a ****ty freak show World Cup and they weren't even favourites or supposed to win (Argentina, France and Italy were) having been utter crap in qualifiers, they had the easiest group and only really played amazing against poor teams like China and Kaka and Juninho barely featured and Dida did not play in any case and that cheat Rivaldo and Ronaldinho were too overrated for words. The most forgettable and least deserving world champions ever.

Ronaldinho was not overrated. He destroyed england for fun, and tbh I'll be more scared facing ronaldinho than messi, ask any chelsea fan who's watched the past 6 or so barca matches. Brazil had a close game with england and kahn didn't turn up for the final but still it was a great performance from brazil.

Rivaldo is a cheat though.
Original post by Abiraleft
Don't think this has been posted: apparently Adebayor is keen to stay on even though you guys have missed out on the Champions League. :beard: What kind of wages do you think he'll be offered? What kind of wages do you want him to be offered? I remember him stating that he wouldn't take a pay-cut to move anywhere.

van der vaart asked him to take a pay cut and said he would be willing to give some of his wages for him to stay :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest