The Student Room Group

Second car ideas??

Been driving a bora the past year and just looking abit of an upgrade. Any ideas?? Must be 5 doors NOT a golf fairly sporty or cheap to modify! 2500-3000 budget :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1
Seat Leon/Ibiza.
Reply 2
Hyundai coupe's are quite nice and good to mod
Reply 3
Is that second car as in the one after your first? Or, is it second car as in weekend toy in addition to the bora?
Reply 4
Original post by Maccees
Hyundai coupe's are quite nice and good to mod

They have very poor balance and the chassis sucks.
Reply 5
Original post by JC.
Is that second car as in the one after your first? Or, is it second car as in weekend toy in addition to the bora?

The one after my first lol

Reply 6
Original post by user436
The one after my first lol

Ah, gotcha.
What about a Passat TDI? You aught to be able to get an old shape highline within budget? i.e leather, climate controll etc...
It'll feel very familiar to what you have now only a bit bigger, more comfy and quicker. :wink:

For example something like this...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-VOLKSWAGEN-PASSAT-HIGHLINE-TDI-100-BLUE-1-Owner-Full-Service-History-/320921698261?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ab86c7fd5
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Herr
They have very poor balance and the chassis sucks.

As long as you don't get the 2.7 V6 version they are pretty sound cars, can't really fault the one I had (2.0l)
Reply 8
Like the passat idea.. Really like Volkswagen! Anyone know of any bmws? Around my price??
Forgot to mention diesel is a must :smile:

Reply 9
Seat Leon TDI or Toledo (Leon with a boot), Skoda Fabia vRS, Peugeot 307, Mazda 3 or Mazda 6, Passat as someone said, BMW 3 series is good but pricey to insure saw a Vreg one with leather and a full MOT go for £300 as no one wanted one that age, for your budget you could probably get a 2003 diesel which would be pretty good. Alfa Romeo 147 might also be worth a look as well as Audi A4s. A3s might be worth a look but you'd probably only get an old model 5dr for your budget.
Reply 10
Original post by user436
Like the passat idea.. Really like Volkswagen! Anyone know of any bmws? Around my price??
Forgot to mention diesel is a must :smile:

Why is diesel a must, is your annual mileage quite high?

For that money you would be looking at an E46 320d which I personally would avoid. Lots of common and expensive faults as they get older, and you have no way of knowing if it has been driven properly or not. If you want a BMW, go for the biggest straight 6 petrol you can find. I say this as the 4 pots are underpowered, and the fuel economy on the I6 engines is exactly the same across the range. A nice E46 328i or 330i would be good, but quite thirsty if you do a lot of town driving.

If you are going for the Passat, avoid the newer 2.0 TDI engine - lots of expensive things to go wrong. You could get a lovely Passat B5.5 1.9 TDI PD 130 (the one to go for) for that price. You can get them mapped to around 170 bhp with little consequence too.

Any help? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by 1992LP
Why is diesel a must, is your annual mileage quite high?

For that money you would be looking at an E46 320d which I personally would avoid. Lots of common and expensive faults as they get older, and you have no way of knowing if it has been driven properly or not. If you want a BMW, go for the biggest straight 6 petrol you can find. I say this as the 4 pots are underpowered, and the fuel economy on the I6 engines is exactly the same across the range. A nice E46 328i or 330i would be good, but quite thirsty if you do a lot of town driving.

If you are going for the Passat, avoid the newer 2.0 TDI engine - lots of expensive things to go wrong. You could get a lovely Passat B5.5 1.9 TDI PD 130 (the one to go for) for that price. You can get them mapped to around 170 bhp with little consequence too.

Any help? :smile:

Just prefer a diesel..
Yeah lots of help think its gonna be between bm and a passat just need to do some research an find a wee bargain :P thanks :smile:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by user436
Just prefer a diesel..
Yeah lots of help think its gonna be between bm and a passat just need to do some research an find a wee bargain :P thanks :smile:

You prefer diesel? If you do less than around 15k a year it will probably cost you more than a petrol in the long run, and the more modern ones are prone to throwing horrendous bills at you.

As I said - be extremely careful with an older E46 320d. Anything VAG (Volkswagon Audi Group) with the PD 130 engine would be what I would be buying if I had to have a diesel. Don't touch the 150 version, prone to big failures and the 130 can easily be mapped to be more powerful.

Think Seat Leon, Passat, Golf, Toledo, Audi A4, Audi A3 etc etc.

Actually - An Audi A4 B6. A good alternative to a Passat, might be worth a look?
Reply 13
Original post by user436
Been driving a bora the past year and just looking abit of an upgrade. Any ideas?? Must be 5 doors NOT a golf fairly sporty or cheap to modify! 2500-3000 budget :smile:

Your budget doesn't stretch far enough to get any nice recent ones especially if you are after a fast diesel.

I'm guessing you might be able to find an Alfa Romeo 147 or if you could live with a 2dr coupe you could always try for an Alfa Romeo GT with the 1.9JTD engine to it.

I've had a 147, it is a nice car, definitely an entertaining one to drive about. The JTD engine is quite easy to modify and the chassis is still fairly good, definitely better than the VW Golf Mk4/5 and also the Ford Focus.
Reply 14
Original post by maz547
hyundai coupes also are expensive fuel wise

I hope you come back so you can explain why you registered to post in a 5 year old topic. I mean, how did you even end up here?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending