The Student Room Group

Will there be more summer riots...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by noobynoo
...because I could do with a new plasma TV. :biggrin: Just kidding. Do you think there will be more riots this year? I think last year it was triggered by the heatwave. (And the heatwave the year before that made people crazy and there were two rampaging serial killers). Or do you think the rioters will be scared off because a lot of them were captured on CCTV.

i hope so.

i was a big fan of the riots. thought rest of the uk that doesn't live in squalor and poverty got a nice wake up call.

the riots had a long time coming. theres a lot of reasons for a lot of people to be pissed.

many people with no positive future to look forward to.
our education hindered, us paying off the debt made by a bunch of wealthy bankers, politicians thieving and helping them selves to tax payers cash, austerity measures where we have to work longer for less pay and receive less of a pension.

we have a immoral government that sets immoral standards.

we have a society set up where we throw away the misfortunate into council estates on the fringe of society. out of sight out of mind.

the violence and fear that is felt daily in the forsaken places that many have to call home was felt in the homes of the rest of britain. even if it was only 3 nights.

but this wasn't what tipped the scales. what TRIGGERED the riots was a 16 year old girl who was collectively beaten by police in full riot gear for throwing a leaflet at them whilst on a peaceful protest (wanting answers for killing of Mark Duggan) outside the police station. the rest of the protesters the majority of whom were black and feeling harassed and discriminated against by police refused to stand by and watch a dozen white police in full riot gear beat up (not restrain, arrest or pin down) a 16 year old black girl. the protest erupted in anger and many of on lookers who were outraged by the sight and had similar sentiments to the state police joined in and things snowballed from there.

what i find baffling is how no one seems to draw comparisons to the 1981 riots in the uk. riots that erupted in brixton but spread to all the same places in the uk that erupted in 2011. those riots were under a conservative government like this one. many blamed the SUS laws. and Margret thatcher stopped the SUS laws.

now david cameron brought them back in as soon as he got into power.
even margret thatcher thought the sus laws were a bad idea. so i think it says a lot about what type of man we are dealing with here when we look at cameron.
he is not THAT naive.

what i thought was more fascinating was the reaction from the government and the rest of the country going on a witch hunt of the poor.

even more interesting is how the true nature of britain surfaced.
smiling, polite, but completely merciless, bigoted and having an inhumane disregard for life.

as the middle classes went strutting around in their top shop clothes doing a half arsed sweeping job of a bit of glass for a photo op. they really couldnt get enough of smelling their own divine turds that day. surveys showed that 2 thirds of the uk wanted the army brought in. and a 3rd wanted them to open fire on rioters.

just shows how sick people in the uk really are.
it reminds me of how the army killed un-armed civies regularly in northern ireland. no one in the uk really cared. in fact im sure many where happy to hear theres a few less potential IRA recruits 6 feet under, even if they are women and children.

it now seems that the poor of the uk are now viewed with the same light as the irish. subhuman and disposable.

i'd be very interested to see what would happen if the riots kick off again.

if they do i hope they are more politically directed this time.

but i imagine after the seething thirst for blood from the british capitalist middle classes the gov will prolly bring in the army. but then again they might not if the entire world has its eyes on the uk during the olympics. or perhaps for that very reason they will be willing to kill their own as to protect tourists.

it would take more than just us being pissed off though.

riots require a flash point or a trigger to initialise pro-activity.

so who knows, if the state is on its best behaviour we might have a peaceful summer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Riots are usually opportunistic. In 2011, when the police shot that guy, do you honestly think that any of the rioting was about that? It was just people who like violence and theft finally having an excuse for their behaviour. I mean, c'mon, killing a guy who put out a bin fire? Looting the shops of hardworking people who would otherwise probably share the rioter's opinions of the government? Seriously...

And I somehow find it hard to believe that people riot more in heatwaves, seeing as they'd probably get dehydrated from all the running around.
I'm pretty sure a heatwave caused 9/11
Original post by Guitarded
I'm pretty sure a heatwave caused 9/11

Damn it.
Reply 24
Original post by KasanDude
Riots are usually opportunistic. In 2011, when the police shot that guy, do you honestly think that any of the rioting was about that? It was just people who like violence and theft finally having an excuse for their behaviour. I mean, c'mon, killing a guy who put out a bin fire? Looting the shops of hardworking people who would otherwise probably share the rioter's opinions of the government? Seriously...

And I somehow find it hard to believe that people riot more in heatwaves, seeing as they'd probably get dehydrated from all the running around.

they beat him up and he died of a heart attack. thats not intending to kill sum1.

also it is about a "guy" getting shot
this "guy" was suppose to be a "gangster" yet he had no criminal record.
the "proof" of him being a "gangster" used by the media was his "gangster poses" on youtube. now the police lied. they lied about him firing a gun at them.
they shot him and the only witness was the taxi driver who is nowhere to be seen. the general rhetoric from the media was that mark duggan stood in gangster poses and was found dead with a gun. this means that it was ok to shoot him dead? while face down and hand cuffed? which is what the taxi driver first reported. the same taxi driver that can't be found...

but yea, just because the media ignored people who were rioting with an agenda doesn't mean there weren't people with an agenda rioting.

whether they felt that it was ok to rob shops since the government robbed us?

or whether they felt it was ok to "capitalise" on the opportunity since banks are "capitalising over us"

whether they were angry but uneducated and unable to appropriately target their anger.

whether they wanted to merely lash out and scar their environment to show the world they exist.

whether they wanted to break free and feel like "they own" the street rather than feeling like they are in the way.

also the shops looted were predominately places like Argos footlocker and JD sports. i wouldn't exactly call the people who sell items that are made in sweatshops over seas as hard working people. sure the vietnamese children that they exploit to make the items are hard working. but not the ones selling them.

its those stores adding to the misery of the poor overseas and exploiting child labour.

not the rioters.

to put it in perspective.
there was actually more cases of assault, anti social behaviour, arson, burglary and criminal damage in individual months leading up to and after august 2011.

compared to the monthly rate of crime august impressively was nothing special considering the riots took place then.
Reply 25
Original post by Mick.w
they beat him up and he died of a heart attack. thats not intending to kill sum1.

also it is about a "guy" getting shot
this "guy" was suppose to be a "gangster" yet he had no criminal record.
the "proof" of him being a "gangster" used by the media was his "gangster poses" on youtube. now the police lied. they lied about him firing a gun at them.
they shot him and the only witness was the taxi driver who is nowhere to be seen. the general rhetoric from the media was that mark duggan stood in gangster poses and was found dead with a gun. this means that it was ok to shoot him dead? while face down and hand cuffed? which is what the taxi driver first reported. the same taxi driver that can't be found...

but yea, just because the media ignored people who were rioting with an agenda doesn't mean there weren't people with an agenda rioting.

whether they felt that it was ok to rob shops since the government robbed us?

or whether they felt it was ok to "capitalise" on the opportunity since banks are "capitalising over us"

whether they were angry but uneducated and unable to appropriately target their anger.

whether they wanted to merely lash out and scar their environment to show the world they exist.

whether they wanted to break free and feel like "they own" the street rather than feeling like they are in the way.

also the shops looted were predominately places like Argos footlocker and JD sports. i wouldn't exactly call the people who sell items that are made in sweatshops over seas as hard working people. sure the vietnamese children that they exploit to make the items are hard working. but not the ones selling them.

its those stores adding to the misery of the poor overseas and exploiting child labour.

not the rioters.

to put it in perspective.
there was actually more cases of assault, anti social behaviour, arson, burglary and criminal damage in individual months leading up to and after august 2011.

compared to the monthly rate of crime august impressively was nothing special considering the riots took place then.

Yes, you are correct. It is ok to beat someone to a pulp, steal his wallet and leave him bleeding to die on the street so long as it is not your intent for him to completely die. All he did that day was try to put out a fire. I'm sure that he somehow opressed the guys who beat him up. He probably stole all their money and caused the riot, right?

Get real.

I mean the guy was 68. What kind of piece of an immoral person can justify that?

Whatever you think of companies like sony or argos footlocker, you can't even begin to seriously say that just because a guy works there he's automatically the guy pointing a gun to some kid's face in a sweatshop. That's unfair. So if I desperately need money and the only job I can quickly find is cleaning rooms at a hotel chain, I'm automatically like that multi-billionaire Hilton guy, right?

I mean, that's what youre saying.

And robbing the shops of an immigrant who came to england to try and better provide for his family just because you THINK the government steals from you is somehow alright?

The fact is that all the rioters were cowards. If they really had an agenda, one that was actually thought-out and meaningful, they would have done things differently. They would have protested infront of parliament or the houses of the politicians.

But no, they CHOSE to attack and hurt people who were even more defenseless than they were. They CHOSE to kill and set people's cars on fire.

Did they identify the people they attacked? Did they see who the car they were setting on fire belonged to? No, it was random. It was done on a whim. There was no agenda, nothing. Just violence finally let out.

And how were banks capitalising over them? I still dont get that. I think that establishments with money were used as scapegoats. I mean, how has the Bank of Scotland specifically affected the rioters? Seriously, did they come around to their house and steal their wallet? Did they beat them up? The answer is no.

And the rioters dont own the streets. The streets technically belong to all taxpayers collectively. And people who pay their taxes dont have to go out at night and steal a TV.

Also, why should anyone listen to the rioters more than other law-abiding citizens. Theres like 8 billion people on the planet, each with their own problems... did the rioters somehow think that they are better or more important than the rest of us?
(edited 11 years ago)
Maybe not a heatwave as such but it was pretty warm during the night and as soon as it got cold and started raining coincidentally the riots stopped.

So given the recent amounts of rain and the possibility of more then its less likely.
So what was it about the Scots the Irish and the Welsh that stopped the riots spreading there?
What ever it was maybe we could take a leaf out of their book.
While a heatwave doesn't start a riot, heavy rain can help stop it. Last summer the authorities were praying for heavy rain after the first night of rioting. It can be worth a few thousand coppers on the night.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by prog2djent
No, but hopefully there will be protests against areas where it really matters, I'm talking about the labour party, a party which essentially agrees with most of the austerity.

Why (and how) would anybody protest against a party which isn't in power?

It's like the nutters who go out and protest 'against radical Islam'... its just... what? :dontknow:
Reply 29
I don't think so. The sentences that were given out were so over the top (ie prison time for stealing a bottle of water, etc) it will probably deter people.

Though who knows. A lot of the people who rioted had nothing to lose anyway.
...because I could do with a new plasma TV. :biggrin: Just kidding. Do you think there will be more riots this year? I think last year it was triggered by the heatwave. (And the heatwave the year before that made people crazy and there were two rampaging serial killers). Or do you think the rioters will be scared off because a lot of them were captured on CCTV.

Do you ever read the news?
Reply 31
Original post by thecrimsonidol
You think a....heatwave...caused riots.

God help people working anywhere where the air conditioning breaks down.

/sarcasm

Original post by Barden
Could your link be any more tenuous?

http://www.psychology.iastate.edu/faculty/caa/abstracts/1979-1984/79ca.pdf

The artifact is eliminated, and the probability of a riot, conditional upon temperature, is estimated.
When this is done, the evidence strongly suggests that the conditional probability of a riot increases monotonically with temperature. Some general implications of such data analyses are discussed.

If it's raining and cold outside, people are definitely less likely to riot.
(edited 11 years ago)

Irrelevant.

The point I made was that the emergence of two serial killers during one heatwave hardly holds significant correlation with riots the following year.

If there were riots during every heatwave, then yes... the OP would have had a point.
Reply 33
Original post by Barden
Why (and how) would anybody protest against a party which isn't in power?:

Duh, do you dink do duhhhhhhhh

2015 elections

Vote Tory (if they carry on this path) - Austerity
Vote Labour - Austerity
Original post by johnnyavfc
Be interesting how the police would react to it if the riots kicked off the same time while the Olympics where on. Probably send in the army..

There will be more troops deployed during the Olympics than there are in Afghanistan, a thousand armed US diplomatic and FBI agents, and unmanned drones. It looks like they are prepared to kill!

For an overview of the security that will be in place during the Olympics read this. Mind blowing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/mar/12/london-olympics-security-lockdown-london
Oh I think there will be big protests. I suppose the Daily Mail and the Standard will call them 'riots'.

21st November 2012 - huge NUS demo. Taken 2 bloody years to plan!!
Reply 36
You'd think people would have more sense than to riot during the Olympics. Plus, police are going to be on high alert because of the terrorist threat, so any rioters in the capital aren't going to get away with anything as easily as they did last time.
Reply 37
Original post by Le Situazionist
Oh I think there will be big protests. I suppose the Daily Mail and the Standard will call them 'riots'.

21st November 2012 - huge NUS demo. Taken 2 bloody years to plan!!

:biggrin: I saw your post and all my brain acknowledged was "Taken 2". Sorry, but shows what a good film can do to your brain.
Original post by IndyJK9
:biggrin: I saw your post and all my brain acknowledged was "Taken 2". Sorry, but shows what a good film can do to your brain.

haha good film!

No, but hopefully there will be protests against areas where it really matters, I'm talking about the labour party, a party which essentially agrees with most of the austerity.

Duh, do you dink do duhhhhhhhh

2015 elections

Vote Tory (if they carry on this path) - Austerity
Vote Labour - Austerity

Something doesn't tally there... :borat:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending