The Student Room Group

Tottenham Hotspur Society II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1960
Original post by Glennith
Let's be honest here, when has any rumoured part exchange deal actually gone through?

Be surprised if Levy lets Modric go to utd if madrid are interested.

I'd say Siggurdson definitely isn't a modric (aka Gail Platt) replacement, be sad to see VDV go, but can't see where Sig fits in otherwise. :confused:

Ibra-Eto'o. :coma:

I agree that it looks unlikely, at least on paper. Not least because you'd have to think Madrid probably don't need another central midfielder of Modric's quality. (On the other hand, when has that ever stopped them from signing players? :lol:)
Original post by Abiraleft
Is there any substance behind the Modric for 8 mil + Sahin rumours? That would be a ridiculously good deal.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12691/7846905/Sahin-wants-Real-stay

Very doubtful.
His Wikipedia page has been updated saying he's at ours, but the language in the update is poor and it just looks like an unsourced rumour that has yet to be reverted.
Reply 1963
Original post by Da_hopeful_1
Would've thought he'd more likely be a replacement for VDV tbh, they play in similar positions behind the striker.

Whilst I agree the deal looks more likely to be a replacement for VDV, I don't think you guys are giving Siggers the credit he deserves for his all round game.

Original post by Da_hopeful_1
Modric's game doesn't really revolve around scoring goals anyway.

Any creative Midfielder should be bagging at least 5-6 goals a season IMHO, something Modric simply doesn't have in his locker.
If we do sign Sigurdsson, hopefully the deal will be done by the time we play Stevenage (just before the team goes on the US tour).
Is there any substance behind the Modric for 8 mil + Sahin rumours? That would be a ridiculously good deal.

Plus Real have Ozil in their creative midfield position, modric wouldn't get a look in... :/ Chelsea's looking most likely...
Is it true Levy broke the £100,000 a week wage limit to keep Bale? I read he's now pocketing £115,000 a week, which means with that limit gone we could stretch for Ade surely?
Reply 1967
Original post by Spencer42
Is it true Levy broke the £100,000 a week wage limit to keep Bale? I read he's now pocketing £115,000 a week, which means with that limit gone we could stretch for Ade surely?

Ade's on about 180 K/w, though, isn't he? And he said he wouldn't take a wage cut.
Ade's on about 180 K/w, though, isn't he? And he said he wouldn't take a wage cut.

He's actually on £225k. There is no way a sensible person would take him on. His wages are disgusting for what he actually contributes on the pitch. You could get much better with wages a quarter that tbh.

Adebayor is a mercenary through and through. He couldn't care less what club he plays for if the price is right.
Adebayor is a disgusting human being for getting paid all that money and then using the money for all those good causes in Africa.
Original post by Zerforax
Adebayor is a disgusting human being for getting paid all that money and then using the money for all those good causes in Africa.

Wait a second, you're telling me that he keeps the average salary for a footballer in the Premier league (£50k roughly) and gives the rest to Charity? I highly doubt it.
Original post by Darth Vader 7
Wait a second, you're telling me that he keeps the average salary for a footballer in the Premier league (£50k roughly) and gives the rest to Charity? I highly doubt it.

I don't know what percentage of his wage goes towards charity work, but it is a significant amount. So it's not a case of him just being a mercenary, he's using the money he gets for a good cause at least.
Original post by Stu Laverty
I don't know what percentage of his wage goes towards charity work, but it is a significant amount. So it's not a case of him just being a mercenary, he's using the money he gets for a good cause at least.

What is a significant amount though? £30k a week seems significant to us or to the organisations that he's donating to but that still leaves him with a monstrous £195k a week pay packet.

I'd still consider him a mercenary unless he was donating something like 50% of his wages.

Also, loads of players give to charity yet earn WAY less than Ade.

Who gives a **** what the average footballer in the premier league earns? What relevance does that have to anything?

Original post by Stu Laverty

Agree with this and I think he tries to set up long term projects and devotes time to it rather than just throwing money to make himself feel good.

What is a significant amount though? £30k a week seems significant to us or to the organisations that he's donating to but that still leaves him with a monstrous £195k a week pay packet.

I'd still consider him a mercenary unless he was donating something like 50% of his wages.

Also, loads of players give to charity yet earn WAY less than Ade.

Adebayor did what every footballer does, negotiated and tried to get the best deal he possibly could. Why is he a mercency if a club was willing to offer him the contract for that wage and for that length?

He went for money and the possibility of trophies, unfortunately the latter has not quite happened because City spent more money on other strikers. However he does not want to give up the money he is entitled to because it enables him to continue to make significant contributions to good causes.

Let's not forget how much money would go to tax too and just because he isn't donating all his money to charity now, doesn't mean he won't in the future.

If he gave away 90% of his money now, he'll retire from football before the age of 35 and then what? Can't support himself for another 30 years or can't continue to help charitable causes?

If I were him, I'd give less now and then after retiring, devote more time and money to the causes.

At least he's trying to make a difference to the world.
What Adebayor does with his money is irrelevant to his situation. No football club will pay the wages that Manchester City have signed up for so they are likely to be stuck with him (and he with them, of course) and having to find more loan deals to mitigate the problem. The alternative is to sell him on a deal by which the new club pays him normal wages and City uses the purchase proceeds to make up the difference in his pay (or some equivalent). There is only a year or so left on his contract (though he may have unreasonable expectations that he will always be able to get such an inflated income) so the difference is "only" about £8 million.
Adebayor gets overpaid full stop. So him donating a percentage of it is fabulous to be fair and good on him.

Still can't believe it looks liked AVB ahead of Rafa :frown:
With Bale's new contract, it looks to be pay cut or back to City for Ade... which is right imo. If we want this new stadium, we need to be looking at cutting dead expense. Ade is good, but not that good.

In other news, any Spurs fans within reach of Stevenage should totally come to the pre-season friendly on Weds 18 July. £20 a ticket for adults/£14 U21s. £20 I thought was a bit steep, but I suppose I'm happy to see a club like Stevenage continue to develop the way it has.
Reply 1978
Original post by rockrunride
With Bale's new contract, it looks to be pay cut or back to City for Ade... which is right imo. If we want this new stadium, we need to be looking at cutting dead expense. Ade is good, but not that good.

In other news, any Spurs fans within reach of Stevenage should totally come to the pre-season friendly on Weds 18 July. £20 a ticket for adults/£14 U21s. £20 I thought was a bit steep, but I suppose I'm happy to see a club like Stevenage continue to develop the way it has.

£20 for a friendly against a non-team is an absolute nonsense tbph. On a point of principle it should be boycotted.
Original post by Mess.
£20 for a friendly against a non-team is an absolute nonsense tbph. On a point of principle it should be boycotted.

As was the £49 we were charged for Fulham and the £59 for Chelsea, and we still sold all our allocation. Fans will be stretched, it seems :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest