The Student Room Group

The brewing of alcohol in Uni halls

I, as a hobby, brew alcohol, currently I have a 5 gallon batch of mead on the brew, I wonder if anyone knew the general policy of the fermentation of sugar within uni halls, specifically Opal1 Dundee, or would it be wise to simply phone/email them.

find attached a photo, because I can =]WP_000312.jpg
Reply 1
Original post by henrybond158
I, as a hobby, brew alcohol, currently I have a 5 gallon batch of mead on the brew, I wonder if anyone knew the general policy of the fermentation of sugar within uni halls, specifically Opal1 Dundee, or would it be wise to simply phone/email them.

find attached a photo, because I can =]WP_000312.jpg

I don't know the policy there specifically but I know people who have done homebrew in uni accomm and been fine. It's up to you whether you want to check but as long as you only have one batch at a time I can't see that they'd do more than tell you to get rid of it (and probably they won't care).

The only other thing you might have to consider is whether you'll have enough space to store it at the correct temp etc.

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app
Reply 2
Original post by kpwxx
I don't know the policy there specifically but I know people who have done homebrew in uni accomm and been fine. It's up to you whether you want to check but as long as you only have one batch at a time I can't see that they'd do more than tell you to get rid of it (and probably they won't care).

The only other thing you might have to consider is whether you'll have enough space to store it at the correct temp etc.

Xxx

posted from the TSR Android app

Room temp isn't so much of a problem, as long as it's between 16 degrees C and 23 degrees C, it's fine, as for getting rid of it, I'm not entirely sure what they'd expect me to do with 5 gallons of mead, it would do some serious damage to the drains...
Reply 3
You should be fine. Last year I was in halls (Manchester), I looked through the contract and it said nothing about home brewing. It's not dangerous or illegal, and they probably wouldn't even think to put anything in about it.

Hope your mead turns out good - did you put any extra spices or anything in? Next time I'm planning on making it cardamom flavoured. :drool:

Suggest you check out the cider society (in my sig) - has a number of people who do a bit of brewing, although I think at the moment I'm the only one who makes mead.
Reply 4
Original post by superwolf
You should be fine. Last year I was in halls (Manchester), I looked through the contract and it said nothing about home brewing. It's not dangerous or illegal, and they probably wouldn't even think to put anything in about it.

Hope your mead turns out good - did you put any extra spices or anything in? Next time I'm planning on making it cardamom flavoured. :drool:

Suggest you check out the cider society (in my sig) - has a number of people who do a bit of brewing, although I think at the moment I'm the only one who makes mead.

Hey, good man on the mead brewing =]

Currently that brew is a show mead (no nutrients, just honey, water, and yeast) however, I intend on spicing a few bottles when I bottle them for ageing, you need to be careful that your spices don't damage the yeasties cardamom, its like ginger isn't it? I'd do some research, assuming you have already, my next batch is going to be elderflower and pomegranate =]
Reply 5
Original post by henrybond158
Hey, good man on the mead brewing =]

Currently that brew is a show mead (no nutrients, just honey, water, and yeast) however, I intend on spicing a few bottles when I bottle them for ageing, you need to be careful that your spices don't damage the yeasties cardamom, its like ginger isn't it? I'd do some research, assuming you have already, my next batch is going to be elderflower and pomegranate =]

Hmm, good point about the spices maybe damaging the yeast, :holmes: hadn't thought of that (I'm still very much at the experimental stage of home brewing). I hadn't decided yet whether to put the cardamom in at the start, or just infuse it in water and add it in at the end, so I'll do a bit of research first before deciding. :yy:

Elderflower and pomegranate sounds awesome - I'd love to get my hands on some elderflowers (want to try out making wine sometime) but I haven't come across anywhere where they grow near me.
Reply 6
Original post by superwolf
Hmm, good point about the spices maybe damaging the yeast, :holmes: hadn't thought of that (I'm still very much at the experimental stage of home brewing). I hadn't decided yet whether to put the cardamom in at the start, or just infuse it in water and add it in at the end, so I'll do a bit of research first before deciding. :yy:

Elderflower and pomegranate sounds awesome - I'd love to get my hands on some elderflowers (want to try out making wine sometime) but I haven't come across anywhere where they grow near me.

well with mead, you can experiment all you like, I'd suggest also heating it, with the spices when serving, fills your kitchen with an awesome smell, and also no issue with damaging any of your critters =]

cinnamon might go well with cardamon, also a good reason why you should add them when you are serving it

1) add a bit try it, add a bit more, try it. without drinking must, must doesn't taste good :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest