The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
I got a offer in biomedical science at Dundee and Abertay Dundee.....now am not so sure about the universities any-more because of the IBMS and NHS credits thing cause right now am not understanding it because am starting in sept of 2012 and to whether they are good for biomedical science because I want to maybe do a graduate in medicine and do physiology or just go straight into clinical laboratory and work in a hospital.....?
confused on the universities and the getting of a job part is worrying me but I guess everyone has there own luck so that I skip.....can anyone help me?
how long are the lecture hours....? and how often do you have laboratory classes?
sorry for asking to much questions but how much content does the human biology cover in biomedical science because that's what am good at.....?
thank you very much...?
If you go for the accredited course then that will make you eligible to become a biomedical scientist after graduation whereas without accreditation you need to do top up courses. Finding a job is then down to competition.

As long as you can get a 1st or 2:1 in your predictions and degree classification then medicine will still be open to you after biomedical science.

Im at Leicester and we usually have lectures all throughout the week with half a day on wednesday for sport. Practical classes usually run for 3-6 hours but it depends on your chosen uni tbh. I had 2-3 labs a week but it changed with modules and it obviously becomes more intense as you progress through the course.

The titles of the modules should give you a clue as to how much human biology you cover
Reply 482
thank you so mch Gucci Mane2010 for clearing my doubt.... you are a saver
aniway what do you think Dundee or Abertay Dundee for biomedical science?
I don't know about those universities sorry

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
Hi Biomed-ers! I start my first year in Sept at LJMU. Very excited (after finally deciding this is the right course for me!)
Reply 485
thanks anyway
Reply 486
Had my place at Chester confirmed so excited :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 487
Hey everyone i'm thinking of applying to biomed aswell. I'm in Year12 going into Y13 in September to start A2s so this is the time i should start thinking about universities.

can i just ask you all
- what made you choose this course as opposed to medicine and surgery?
- do you think it would be advantageous to apply to this same course to multiple unis? what i mean is would it look bad/make the unis think im undecided and not dedicated if i apply to biomed and say human biology & pharmacy ?

thanks!
Reply 488
Original post by DomJay24
Hey everyone i'm thinking of applying to biomed aswell. I'm in Year12 going into Y13 in September to start A2s so this is the time i should start thinking about universities.

can i just ask you all
- do you think it would be advantageous to apply to this same course to multiple unis? what i mean is would it look bad/make the unis think im undecided and not dedicated if i apply to biomed and say human biology & pharmacy ?

thanks!

I applied for different courses. When writing my personal statement I looked at all the course contents of what I was applying for and then picked common subjects one of which was immunology so I just talked about my intrests with the subjects that were common rather than the course as a whole. This also shows that you have read about the course.

I chose this course because I want to work in labs rather than on a ward with people

Reply 489
going king's biomed this sept too!

anyone joining me??
Reply 490
Original post by Mpierce
I applied for different courses. When writing my personal statement I looked at all the course contents of what I was applying for and then picked common subjects one of which was immunology so I just talked about my intrests with the subjects that were common rather than the course as a whole. This also shows that you have read about the course.

I chose this course because I want to work in labs rather than on a ward with people

Thankyou for that insight Mpeirce
Reply 491
Original post by annony
going king's biomed this sept too!

anyone joining me??

Yep going King's to do Biomed. In GDSA accomm. See you there
Reply 492
Thankyou for that insight Mpeirce

Glad I could help :smile:

Reply 493
Hey any First Year Biomedical Student's going onto second year i will be studying biomedicine from September and was wondering if anyone has any useful links to website's that can help me or other fellow student;s in our first year and any useful notes that we could read prior to the course starting thank you in advance x appreciate your help :smile:
Reply 494
Original post by liamgaul
Yep going King's to do Biomed. In GDSA accomm. See you there

omg really! cool
i didnt get accomodation but i live in london anyways
see you

btw have you recevied any letters/emails from kings about the term dates or anything??
Biomed here I am so happy I chose it over pharmacy as I dont want to sell pills even if im getting 50k a year. Biomed is perfect to get into research which was my initial dream prior to A levels and parental influence.
Anyone has comments about East Anglia, Queen's Belfast, Sheffield or Strathclyde? I'm not from UK so it's kinda hard for me to know more about the universities. The websites all tell nearly the same stuff.. Anyone graduated from these unis or currently studying there?

can i just ask you all

thanks!

I chose biomedical science as I am more interested in the science behind disease rather than identifying and treating.

second question: I don't know sorry. They are probably more interested in what you can offer them rather than the other universities you fancy.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
Reply 498
Hi guys,

anyone else doing biomed get their plans screwed up because of the conservatives cutting NHS funds? It meant that there were only 3 possible places for the placement year (there were 160 students in year 2) even though when I came to the uni they were "accredited by IBMS" and gave an opportunity to "be eligible for working in the NHS via HPC registration".

lol sorry, moan over. I do find it very frustrating though since the year before me had the opportunity of the NHS placement.
Reply 499
hi guys,

i want to study either biomed or biochem at uni, but i am worried about the jobs available for biomed/biochem graduates.
What are the topics, lab work like? Also, i want to study further and maybe do research, so is it best if i choose a research-led uni from the start or can i go to another university to do further study?

Latest

Trending

Trending