The Student Room Group

How to succeed in OCR AS level Biology

Hi everyone,
I'm about to go in Year 12 and have chosen OCR Biology as one of my options.
I have heard many many horror storys about OCR particularly biology. We've been told that there is a huge leap between GCSE and A Level.
Can you give me tips on how to do well in Biology?
Thank you:smile:
xxxx
Reply 1
Biology has really low grade boundaries which says its hard, but if you know your stuff you'll be alright, Biology tests your knowledge and applying it the most, you might know something but they will use an unfamiliar situation and you have to apply knowledge

Past papers and marking it is the most important thing! That way you know the trick of the exams and with the low boundaries, do good! :smile:

But past papers are like what you should do near exam periods so I dont know if this helped much lmao
Reply 2
I am doing the same as you, doing OCR biology and going into Year 12! I guess, it's the same with all A Levels, and the work has to be put in! Good luck :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
I did OCR biology and never heard any horror stories until I saw on here a few weeks ago.
Just treat it like your other A levels and don't worry too much about it.
Stay focussed in lessons and you should be find.
Biology is difficult because there will never be a stage where you know 'everything' - there will always be an opportunity to go into more detail. This however does not make the exams more difficult.

There are some interesting exam questions, fill in the gap in a paragraph or table and I even saw a crossword in one past paper.

To summarise:
It'll be fine if you work hard - advice which is relevant to all subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by journeyofeducation
Hi everyone,
I'm about to go in Year 12 and have chosen OCR Biology as one of my options.
I have heard many many horror storys about OCR particularly biology. We've been told that there is a huge leap between GCSE and A Level.
Can you give me tips on how to do well in Biology?
Thank you:smile:
xxxx

I've just finished OCR AS Bio with an A, so hopefully I can help a bit :smile: What I did was find the specification online and make revision notes based on each spec point. If you do these on little note cards, they're great for revision!
There's no denying that OCR is a horrible exam board for biology. Talking to the head of biology at my school, he seems to think that OCR have changed their exam style so the questions are more application of knowledge. This means that it is SO important that you fully understand the concepts in class and are able to apply them to unfamiliar situations. Our papers this year were very different to past papers, so if you can get hold of our year's papers then that will give you a realistic view as to what you will face. You seriously have to put in hard work for this. People in my class who did the bare minimum came out with Us which is seriously not good!
It's actually quite interesting, especially the human side, so you really should enjoy it!
One last tip...OCR are known for their irrational love of ecology questions. If anything, you need to know the ecology chapters back to front!
Good luck! I really hope you enjoy it! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Girl.
There are some interesting exam questions

This is very true! In our June exam, OCR kindly included an irrelevant folk song about farmers in the 18th Century. Had to try so hard not to laugh XD
Reply 6
OCR is hit or miss for biology, the chemistry is much better.
Reply 7
what book(s) did you guys use to revise biology ocr?
OCR AS biology textbook
ISBN: 978-0-435691-80-6

Currently studying AS OCR Biology

Tips?
-Make sure you don't muck about in class, even at the beginning of the year

-Make sure you understand all of what is discussed in class

-Consolidate what you learn in class

-Do exam questions for practise.
^Important because even if you know your stuff its vital you know how to answer questions.
I bought that and its great
..if you want to aim for a C, borderline B..

Its actually not too bad for some summarising information but most of the time it really just is too vague and doesn't give enough detail..
I can live with a borderline B :biggrin:
Reply 13
For those of you wanting OCR biology notes for either AS and A2.

Have a look for my post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2632967

your welcome, please if you want to give feedback, complement my teacher, NOT ME.

Quick Reply

Latest