The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WJRA
Yes but I believe that would also already be decided.

Not necessarily; a college could interview some candidates from the pool, but then think that a candidate they themselves placed in the pool was better, and so make them an offer. This would obviously be after the interview, so it wouldn't be decided yet.
Reply 1501
Original post by JM_101
I know how you feel, being a fellow poolee, but don't lose hope! Just remember that there's still tomorrow, and also they like to send out the interview offers first. Direct offers are more likely to come later, between the 5th and 14th of January.

Good luck :smile:

I guess... I think if I still haven't heard by the 14th I may have gone crazy! Good luck to you too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1502
Original post by Confabulation
they emailed me. mine were 2.15 and 2.30. how did yours go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mine were at 3 and 4:45 so probably just missed you! Who were your interviewers? I had Dr Tim Bussey and Dr Lorraine Gelsthrope. I found them quite challenging, you?
Original post by The Polymath
Perhaps Biology and Environmental Studies aren't that irrelevant, I mean.. you know.. France has an environment :tongue:

I'm hoping they would see Economics as relevant to the political thought within MML German, where you study economists like Marx and Engels :dontknow:

You weren't the guy from Habs were you? Or perhaps you were the guy with the northern accent? I have no idea who you were, I just distinctly remember saying "let's play pool" and then two current students starting to play instead.

If you really wanted to, I guess you could relate any subject to a MFL :smile:
I'm from Shropshire, you asked me where that was (or where Telford was), and I said near Wales, which you thought was funny hahaha 'cause I guess it's a terrible description of a location. Erm... I've never been told I have a northern accent, and I really hope I don't.
Original post by nkspence1
I GOT FISHED!!!! YAYAAYAYAYAYAYA Robinson are going to make me an offer for medicine. they said i'll get my letter next week but that i might want to know before then :smile: Have faith everyone :smile: It could be you next :biggrin: xxx

congrats!!!!!!! finally ive found another robinson medic.. :biggrin:
Reply 1505
Original post by WJRA

Not necessarily - sometimes the college that pools you will fish, do re- interviews and then decide you are the best candidate for them after all. I also know of someone who was pooled because her college didnt have enough funds for her course to give her a place initially and then gave her an offer. I guess they might tell you that they are still considering your application. I think 150 or so applicants who were pooled were subsequently offered places by their preference college. The stats should be online. Minerva will know
Original post by WJRA

Surely not if they've called poolees for interview? And they're waiting to make a decision based on interview performance?
Reply 1507
how important are interviews now?

are they now the main factor or is UMS still the most important?
Original post by Kidioteque
Surely not if they've called poolees for interview? And they're waiting to make a decision based on interview performance?

If they had to call the poolee for interview then clearly that fish isn't the clear-cut must-take that the college is looking for to replace one of their own.

Comparing direct applicants with the standard in the pool is something which I think is apparent from just looking at the applications, before even needing to call any additional interviews.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1509
To all Cambridge colleges
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ET2
Mine were at 3 and 4:45 so probably just missed you! Who were your interviewers? I had Dr Tim Bussey and Dr Lorraine Gelsthrope. I found them quite challenging, you?

same here. I found them very friendly and not too hard, they may have been different with some people. did he show you the brains?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cantthinkofone
congrats!!!!!!! finally ive found another robinson medic.. :biggrin:

yayaya what's you offer for?
Original post by ukdragon37
If the they had to call the poolee for interview then clearly that fish isn't the clear-cut must-take that the college is looking for to replace one of their own.

Comparing direct applicants with the standard in the pool is something which I think is apparent from just looking at the applications, before even needing to call any additional interviews.

I can't tell if I'm just being really stupid, or not expressing myself properly...

Suppose that:

College A pools applicant X

College B pools applicant Y

College A thinks applicant Y might be better than applicant X, but they aren't sure, so they fish Y from the pool in order to interview him

After interview, College A decides that X is better than Y after all, so fish X back to themselves - the original college.

Surely this is an instance in which the decision isn't made until quite late on?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1513
This waiting game is painful and I feel we're all victims of the process! With a 96 UMS and all A*s etc. you think what else do they want?! Pooled from Sidney and waiting anxiously for a call.
yayaya what's you offer for?

A*AAA ( but theyve not specified what the A*s in :smile: )
Original post by Toaster999
If you really wanted to, I guess you could relate any subject to a MFL :smile:
I'm from Shropshire, you asked me where that was (or where Telford was), and I said near Wales, which you thought was funny hahaha 'cause I guess it's a terrible description of a location. Erm... I've never been told I have a northern accent, and I really hope I don't.

Ohh yeah :tongue: Still don't remember what you look like, but I remember you
Original post by cantthinkofone
A*AAA ( but theyve not specified what the A*s in :smile: )

hmm well i was hoping to drop my fourth so bang goes that idea!! I've done no work for it in weeks haha. oh well, i'll just work my ass off and catch up. well not specifying is a good thing at least :biggrin: Have you found anyone else?
Original post by Kidioteque
I can't tell if I'm just being really stupid, or not expressing myself properly...

Suppose that:

College A pools applicant X

College B pools applicant Y

College A thinks applicant Y might be better than applicant X, but they aren't sure, so they fish Y from the pool in order to interview him

After interview, College A decides that X is better than Y after all, so fish X back to themselves - the original college.

Surely this is an instance in which the decision isn't made until quite late on?

College A would pool X for one of two reasons:

1) X might be good enough for Cambridge, but unfortunately the competition in A is too intense and all of A's spaces are filled. In this case A would not be fishing at all anyway.

2) A thinks X might be good enough for a straight offer, but want to check X against the quality of the pool first. Here I argue this can be done in the early stages in the pool where colleges can take applicants back, and X would be none the wiser he has been pooled. After all X's preference should be respected if possible, and A only has to be satisfied that X is above the uni-wide threshold for admission since X being considered for a straight offer shows the competition in X may not be very intense.

One should realise that the colleges do not necessarily (and in fact I would think not often) both pool and fish for the same subject, unless large swathes of their direct applicants are sub-par (in which case the college might even just opt for rejection rather than pool).
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ukdragon37
College A would pool X for one of two reasons:

1) X might be good enough for Cambridge, but unfortunately the competition in A is too intense and all of A's spaces are filled. In this case A would not be fishing at all anyway.

2) A thinks X might be good enough for a straight offer, but want to check X against the quality of the pool first. Here I argue this can be done in the early stages in the pool where colleges can take applicants back, and X would be none the wiser he has been pooled. After all X's preference should be respected if possible, and A only has to be satisfied that X is above the uni-wide threshold for admission since X being considered for a straight offer shows the competition in X may not be very intense.

One should realise that the colleges do not necessarily (and in fact I would think not often) both pool and fish for the same subject, unless large swathes of their direct applicants are sub-par.

Ah right, I see what you mean. Guess I'm just reading into the wording of my letter too much (they said my application was still under consideration with them, but they were also making it available to the pool). Also, in last year's pooling thread I've see posts from people pooled AND fished for my subject and college, so I guess there are exceptions. Nonetheless, I get where you're coming from, cheers :smile:
hmm well i was hoping to drop my fourth so bang goes that idea!! I've done no work for it in weeks haha. oh well, i'll just work my ass off and catch up. well not specifying is a good thing at least :biggrin: Have you found anyone else?

Lol yeh my plan was take four.. Then if one goes disastrously wrong u still have three more :smile: lol and no ive not found anyone else yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending