The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by annehogarth
It was for MML, no one has heard for history from Murray, congrtatz though :smile:

Oh right, my apologies. :smile:
Reply 2681
Mathematicians is it just me or are they going in an alphabetical order (from the colleges we've been pooled) by looking at minervas list ??
Reply 2682
Original post by Tildamall
Haha that is so unlikely! I'm sure they will remember, but if I were you I'd probably email the admissions department and ask- my friend did that ad got an offer. Good luck!!
Posted from TSR Mobile

haha, i'll try that :smile:
Original post by Oli-Ol
Oh right, my apologies. :smile:

haha, just trying to keep hold to any glimpse of hope!
Congratz! Very jealous but glad some of us made it! :biggrin: Hopefully there will be a couple more of us getting picked out soon.
Also to all the King's people so sorry :frown: just remember that you'll be amazing where ever you end up!

I'm sure there will be, the last day to be called for interview is today (good luck to everyone) but on the website it says direct offers without interview can be made until the 15th. Hey, maybe Newnham will fish you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just want to say good luck to all of you left in the pool; I hope there are some lovely surprises in store for you :smile:
Reply 2686
Original post by oggdeferrer
Just got a call from St John's telling me that they will be accepting me after all! Bizarrely a friend in the year below me at secondary school (I went to a different 6th form) was fished out by Johns for Education with English and Drama as well! I kind of feel like a very cruel practical joke is going on here.... GAH! I'm so happy - I had completely given up any hope!

Good luck to you all - I am hoping that I will get to meet lots of you there :smile:

Thank you again to Minerva for this thread :smile:

That *is* normal - it's key to the moderation process.

All colleges are meant to pool the last few names on their offer list for each subject, but mark their file with a special thing to indicate that they are just checking that there isn't anyone in the pool who they would prefer to take. For example - if they make 10 offers, they would pool the people the ranked in positions 9 and 10 (that's just approximate), as well as any others they thought had a realistic chance of an offer but didn't make the cut for their college.

If you were 9 or 10 you would get the special mark on your pool file so that other colleges know they can't steal you until your original college has decided - though other colleges can mark your file to show that they will be interested in the event that your original college chooses to bump you for someone else.

So - if you applied to one of the more popular/prestigious colleges for your subject and the competition to even be one of the 'maybe' people was high, you are, logically, more likely to be taken back by your original college. Congratulations - it means that not only were you among the best applying to St John's for your subject, but you also weren't bumped by anyone in the pool!
Reply 2687
Well I do maths too so they do rate!

Posted from TSR Mobile

:colone:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'm sure there will be, the last day to be called for interview is today (good luck to everyone) but on the website it says direct offers without interview can be made until the 15th. Hey, maybe Newnham will fish you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you sure about that? According to the e-mail I got, if we're called for a re-interview 'you will be notified by telephone between the 5th and 9th January 2013.'
Reply 2689
Original post by Atropos
Mathematicians is it just me or are they going in an alphabetical order (from the colleges we've been pooled) by looking at minervas list ??

Which document are you looking at sorry? I am confused :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:biggrin:
Reply 2691
Original post by Oli-Ol
I was fished by Murray Edwards yesterday.

Well done! Im still waiting to hear.... Lost all hope, but oh well. Gap year it is.
Original post by theminimg
Almost the same - applied to Bristol, Durham, Warwick and York. I haven't stayed at any of them but I've visited all except Bristol. If I get the grades I'll still go to Newnham - everyone there loves it and with the exception of Durham it doesn't really compare. I live in London and seeing as Cambridge terms are so short it's hardly as if I won't be getting out when I come back. What are you going to do?

Hopefully I'll see you there! Same situation for me living in London, which is a fair point, plus I'm sure there'll be loads of us who want to go out during the term. Good luck with the a levels!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2693
Original post by aakd
Which document are you looking at sorry? I am confused :frown:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=191284&d=1357545690

PAGE 5

there is a list of mathematicans, ones that have been fished and ones that are still waiting well people from Peterhouse,Queen's,St John's,Trinity haven't been fished yet (which is in alphabetical order)
Reply 2694
Found it!! Don't worry

Reply 2695
Original post by aakd
Found it!! Don't worry

don't tell me what to do, you're not my father !!
hahaha :biggrin:
Original post by JKA17
Thank you :smile: that's very kind. I felt like the first one went really well, and the second one was about as terrible as possible. I had no brain power left. I don't mind so much if I don't get in, I just want to know. I am on the verge of phoning Magdalene...

I was exactly the same- my first one was really fun, then in my second my phone went off. TWICE. Shows there's still hope for everyone here...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2697
It was for MML, no one has heard for history from Murray, congrtatz though :smile:

Did you get fished for MML?
Reply 2698
Just got an email from Imperial. Thought "finally, some good news!". Just them giving out their open day dates. :frown:

Original post by Dawn6789
Did you get fished for MML?

:confused:me? I'm a history fish, the guy I was talking to was fished for MML

Latest

Trending

Trending