The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3200
Original post by justkeepswimming
I was there on Wednesday 5th - although I don't think I spoke to anyone other than English applicants? (Guilty of being quite anti-social on interview day... :/)

Mine was also on 5th- in afternoon. Oh ok anyway I hope we hear good news- I am tired of swimming in the pool!
Reply 3201
Original post by alfs123
I also got pooled for TRS (from Corpus) havent heard anything :/ good luck!

Good luck to you too! I know someone who got into Corpus for TRS I am jealous as hell right now
Reply 3202
Original post by ET2
I checked the 2012 thread and a couple of people seemed to get offers by email at midnight or so they said...

AWW why'd you say that? I'm gonna get absolutely NO sleep now :/ they keep feeding us hope little by little...this is TORTURE!
Reply 3203
Original post by Brighter_Star
You're a mature student if you'll be 21 by October 2013, but when I visited the mature colleges everyone was a lot older than that :frown: I was actually planning on applying to one, but the open days were such a let down - I really felt like the odd one out!

Mature students like us can't be fished by standard-age colleges; our files are marked and put on a separate table only mature colleges can fish from. Good luck to you anyway - if we get fished it would still be Cambridge, of course, but I'm glad I'm not the only one with these concerns!
That's not my understanding at all! Where did you get that information from?

Original post by hapytrefrend
I will be turning into 21 just before October 2013 ! I am guessing it is same for you then

And are you 100% sure that we can only be fished by mature colleges !?!?!?
I never knew that !
I love the way we could talk about this as we are in a similar situation
As far as I know, mature applicants in the Pool can and will be considered by any college. However, Cambridge encourages colleges to pool mature applicants a little more generously because there are specific colleges for them.
Reply 3204
Original post by jh.
Bear in mind that some more of those offers at the last day will be people who've had interviews though..

well yeah but If you think about it people that haven't heard anything back yet will not get invited to interview anyway so the only chance is to get a direct offer which can come any time :biggrin:
Original post by Minerva
Why do you say that? Colleges have by no means finished contacting everyone who has been fished. Just because some people have heard from specific colleges does not mean no-one else will.

Oh no - I think I didn't express myself very clearly there :colondollar:

What I meant was: I'm a mature student, so I can only get fished by a mature college, not a 'normal' one. I visited all the mature colleges earlier this year, but never felt quite at home - and now that I'm pooled my chance of going to a 'normal' college is gone (seeing as only mature colleges can fish mature applicants) :smile:
Original post by unbridled
I'm no medic(al applicant) but I'd imagine this is what dying from a VERY slow-acting poison feels like...?

I am a medical applicant and can confirm this.. :wink:
Reply 3207
Might as well join in with the masochistic fun!!
Applied to Robinson, for Japanese studdies (Asian and middle eastern faculty) and I really thought the interview went well :3

What I'm telling myself, and in fact i've pretty much convinced myself, is that they've only pooled me because they wanted to view the pool's standard, so that they don't miss out any fantastic candidates. But of course they'll call me back, because I'm just marvellous darling :wink:

In fact that whole rant is absolutely true!! If I wish it enough It will be!!!
Original post by Minerva
That's not my understanding at all! Where did you get that information from? As far as I know, mature applicants in the Pool can and will be considered by any college. However, Cambridge encourages colleges to pool mature applicants a little more generously because there are specific colleges for them.
Oh no, I hope I haven't been spreading wrong information! That's how I understood things worked; I was told by a tutor in Wolfson that applications from pooled mature students to standard-age colleges are passed on to the mature colleges, and that they get a lot of their students from there.

I'm pretty sure I've read it somewhere, too - I'm trying to find it again right now. I've also looked at previous pool threads, and it looked like mature students only ever got offers from mature colleges?

Again, I'm so sorry if I'm mistaken and have unintentionally confused others :frown:

EDIT: I've been looking for my 'evidence', but can't seem to find anything conclusive.

Some older pooling files say things like 'The files of mature and affiliated applicants are stored in a separate “mature and affiliated” section of the Pool and not in the main sequence.' - but you're right, that might still mean that other colleges can look at it too :dontknow:

I guess I just made assumptions based on what I heard - but then again, I might have misunderstood him so can't be 100% sure. Again, I'm sorry - and thanks for correcting me, it would be nice if I still had a chance of ending up in a 'normal' college :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3209
Hello fellow swimmers. Anyone else pooled from st catz? Feel as if I'm the only one...
Reply 3210
Original post by Zamtacz
AWW why'd you say that? I'm gonna get absolutely NO sleep now :/ they keep feeding us hope little by little...this is TORTURE!

Sorry!- it might have just been people posting at that time- I think the process is quite cruel because they leave you waiting and waiting....
Guys, guys... I've managed to start revising. :eek:
I got pooled by Newnham for Philosophy - any other philosophers swimming or been fished?!
Original post by ET2
Sorry!- it might have just been people posting at that time- I think the process is quite cruel because they leave you waiting and waiting....

Was it definitely just posting at that time then??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3214
Original post by lighterthanAyer
What did you apply to Magdalene for? I'm still hoping that they'll fish me back :tongue:

History :smile: you?
Reply 3215
Got pooled by Pembroke for Theology! Is there anyone who's been fishes for this subject yet??
Pooled by Pembroke for PhysNatSci. Probably auto-pooled though.
Got pooled by Downing for Geography, omg this wait is horrible...
Original post by 4foryouglencoco
Pooled by Pembroke for PhysNatSci. Probably auto-pooled though.

exactly the same, we were pretty unlucky this year :/

207 for 20-30 places D:

how were your interviews?
and may i ask ums? :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3219
Is it appropriate to contact my originall college to try to find out something about my application status? Has anyone done that?

Latest

Trending

Trending