The Student Room Group

Sunderland or Westminster?

I'm stuck right now between two universities. I've gotten offers (to study PR) from both sunderland and westminster. Both courses are very appealing to me, as of right now im leaning more towards sunderland. As an international student the prices of sunderland are easier on my wallet. Along with that i've visited Sunderland and really loved the campus and location. I do in fact like Sunderland's Public Relations course a lot more than the PR course at Westminster. I'm a bit apprehensive about sunderland though because with a degree in PR London (westminster) would give me more oppurtunites as far as jobs, work placements etc. Even though the high prices of London arent appealing to me they could be worth the extra oppurtunites i'll get in the long run. I would really love to hear from anyone who attends (or did attend) either university, if you are/were studying PR that'd be even better. I'd really appericate it if you just told me things like how you like the course, the pros/cons of the university, did you make the right decsion and things along that line.

Thank you to everyone who answers in advance, it really means a lot!! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mandimarie
I'm stuck right now between two universities. I've gotten offers (to study PR) from both sunderland and westminster. Both courses are very appealing to me, as of right now im leaning more towards sunderland. As an international student the prices of sunderland are easier on my wallet. Along with that i've visited Sunderland and really loved the campus and location. I do in fact like Sunderland's Public Relations course a lot more than the PR course at Westminster. I'm a bit apprehensive about sunderland though because with a degree in PR London (westminster) would give me more oppurtunites as far as jobs, work placements etc. Even though the high prices of London arent appealing to me they could be worth the extra oppurtunites i'll get in the long run. I would really love to hear from anyone who attends (or did attend) either university, if you are/were studying PR that'd be even better. I'd really appericate it if you just told me things like how you like the course, the pros/cons of the university, did you make the right decsion and things along that line.

Thank you to everyone who answers in advance, it really means a lot!! :biggrin:

(p.s. Sorry for all the spelling and grammar errors im posting this from my phone :/)

I went to Sunderland and it is by far the cheaper option. I don't go anymore because I didn't like my course (it was social sciences not PR, so I can't comment on that) but I imagine your PR course would be at the St Peter's campus by the river and the coast, which is nice. It's very close to the beach and a lot smaller than London so you wouldn't feel overwhelmed by the size and amount of people like you might in the South. It depends where you are coming from though, since you're international- a big city or a small one? Accommodation in Sunderland, both halls and houses is anything between 45-85 a week where I assume it'd be more in London and you'd have more transport costs for food,rent and on the tube, and in Sunderland you can walk to the city centre as well as taking the Metro to Newcastle in about 25 minutes. If you're really leaning towards Sunderland then follow your instinct, especially if you like the sound of the course more. In terms of job opportunities and connections, as long as you get a good grade Sunderland instead of Westminister wouldn't hold you back.
With Westminster, which campus would you be at? As far as I am aware, the university experience varies massively depending on the campus.
Reply 3
Original post by Theskylinepigeon
With Westminster, which campus would you be at? As far as I am aware, the university experience varies massively depending on the campus.

I will be located on the Harrow campus :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by mandimarie
I will be located on the Harrow campus :smile:

If you're going to be at the harrow campus will you be living near it? You really don't want to commute there from central because of the costs/its very long winded.
Original post by *#147#
If you're going to be at the harrow campus will you be living near it? You really don't want to commute there from central because of the costs/its very long winded.

This
It's not as close to central London as they make out, so keep that in mind
When I have occasionally visited harrow, it doesn't really feel like London at all and it's very isolated from the rest of the uni.

I don't know about the social scene at harrow but at the central London campuses it's pretty much nonexistent.

Just some things to consider
I would say Sunderland, mostly because I'll be applying for there too :smile: Also, I was brought up in London my whole life, so the thought of me staying here and living at home for another 3 years fills me with dread :s-smilie: but I think for you that would probably be different as it would be new to you. Though I must say Harrow is quite far away from central London, you'd have to pay to commute a fair bit. I don't know if there's as much to do in Harrow as in central London, if I'm honest it's not the most glitzy or glamorous of boroughs. I had a friend who lived in King's Cross but her 6th form was in Harrow, I remember her saying that she was at least half an hour late every day. But I guess it depends on your own situation. As someone who's lived in London my whole life, I can say that sometimes, for me, it all gets a bit too stressful and I end up feeling like I need a holiday. It's not very tranquil, the transport is usually packed, it's very busy and it feels hectic. But on the other hand, as your an international student, I'm sure you'll enjoy all the landmarks and places to see in London, though most of these are quite far away from Harrow. From what I've read, Sunderland seems alot more tranquil and peaceful, you get to be right next to the beach, and there's a lot of countryside nearby. You're right next to Newcastle which alongside Sunderland is great for a night out and there's always students about. Oh and don't forget about the accents Harrow is also nice, but you'll probably hear a lot of 'brap brap init doe bruv!! it's da mandem! i saw a peng a ling gyaldem today blud!' from some of the locals..wheras in Sunderland it would be more 'why aye man!'. I grew up in East London to the latter excites me!

At the end of the day though, you should chose whichever you feel you'd prefer, and where you'd enjoy living/studying more. Good luck!!
Reply 7
Original post by *#147#

I will live either on campus or in student housing in wembley. If I live in the student housing in Wembley I will be a 10 minute drive from campus, a 2.5 mile walk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending