The Student Room Group

Are my GCSEs good enough to do something in science?

I just had a careers meeting and the adviser told me that my grades are not going to be good enough to do a job in science. She told me that if I want to do something in science I should be a nurse or a midwife but that's not really something I'm interested in. Here are my grades, could you suggest something I could be or do in university? I'm so lost!
Maths - A
Physics - A
Biology - B
Chemistry - B
English - B
History - A
RE - C
German - B
ICT - B
Reply 1
Is there another reason that she said you wouldn't be able to do a science degree? It seems like those are fairly good grades at GCSE, and providing that you can get As and Bs at A Level, then you shouldn't have any trouble getting into a decent university to study science.
Reply 2
Your GCSE results are fine for any science A-level. I asume that you are taking A-levels.

Did not read all of post. Your GCSE results will allow you to take the sciences at A-level and provided you do well at A-level then you can do a science degree at university
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Farid1
Your GCSE results are fine for any science A-level. I asume that you are taking A-levels.

I forgot to mention that! I think I will defiantly pick maths and physics then either chemistry or biology!
Your adviser's retarded :colonhash:
Reply 5
Original post by Sarahjette
I forgot to mention that! I think I will defiantly pick maths and physics then either chemistry or biology!

Pick further maths :ahee:

Your GCSEs are fine.
Reply 6
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
Pick further maths :ahee:

Your GCSEs are fine.

dont you need an a* in maths GCSE to do further maths at a level ?
Reply 7
Original post by kish667
dont you need an a* in maths GCSE to do further maths at a level ?

It usually depends on the college/sixth form. Mine didn't really care but would demote you to standard maths if you were not performing (which is also a good suggestion you can make to the Head of Maths if the minimum is an A* at your institute.) Initially, you will cover the same things as the people in standard maths but at a faster pace. Being put in standard maths if you aren't performing in FM would not really affect you for that reason.

If you like Physics/Maths then FM is a very big help for those sorts of courses at University. Also, FM is liked/preferred/helpful for other degrees like Economics and Computer Science.

Just doing the AS in further maths would still be helpful. I am doing Core modules 1-4, Further Pure 1, Statistics 1-2 and Decision maths 1-2 (so an A2 in maths and AS in FM) to complement my Physics, chemistry and biology. Dropping biology and FM in the 2nd year so I can concentrate on physics, maths and chemistry since offers are only usually made on 3 subjects -- sometimes 4 at oxbridge, usually if FM is offered to A2) :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sarahjette
Here are my grades, could you suggest something I could be or do in university? I'm so lost!

That is something only you can decide. The best piece of advice I can give you is choose something that interests you. You've said that you want to take Maths and Physics. What do you like about them? Do you love the beauty of pure maths? Go do a maths degree! Do you like how you get a better understanding of the world around us through calculation and theory? Try Physics or Engineering! How about the thought of space and what else is out there? You could do Astro-Physics or Astro-Biology?

There are obviously many more degrees that you could go and do, but ultimately it is up to you and what you enjoy. Just take the time to sit back and think about it. If you say you want to do something science-y, surely you've thought about it before? Think back to when you saw yourself doing science, and ask what you saw yourself doing. Don't feel overly constrained by what your school offers at A level either. Some degree courses don't even need you take the course at A level, Psychology, for example. Just do the relevant research and make an informed decision.

Sorry, that got a bit lengthy :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending