The Student Room Group

A levels needed to study economics at a top university.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by georgedunn
Well i have been told so many different things about what a levels i need to take to study economics at university. I'm wanting to study either pure economics or economics with mathematics at either oxbridge or LSE. I've decided that i'm defiantly going to study, Maths, Further Maths and Economics but i'm just a bit stuck on the 4th one. Initially i was told to take up a science and i was going to do physics since it ties in with maths however after speaking to my head of economics last week he thinks i should take an essay based subject. Is geography an essay based subject because i'm an A* student on that? I haven't taken history for GCSE but PRE-GCSE i was really good at it and it is a facilitating subject. English Lit could be an option because it is again a facilitating subject however i'm only an A grade student on that. Then if i really wanted to do i could do RS or sociology. In all honesty i'm just a bit puzzled as to which subject would be best to compliment my other ones.
So in short i'm taking Maths Further Maths and Economics but i need to take another one and the possible options which i am confident that i can do well in and will fill the fourth slot are:

Chemistry

Physics

History

English Lit

RS

Sociology

Physiology

Geography

Thanks for your help in advance.

Physics or English Lit out of those options.
How so?

You spelt definitely, "defiantly". And for the record I'd recommend history. Not only is it a great essay subject that requires analytical skill, but also for yourself on a personal level will make you more knowledgable about the world and how it has been formed.
Reply 22
Read the Russell group guide to selecting A levels 'informed choices' and also read the specific admissions pages of your target unis.
When they say something's 'suitable as a forth subject' this doesn't mean it's on a 'blacklist' and will outweigh your performance in the other subjects.
Reply 23
Original post by simoncino
You spelt definitely, "defiantly". And for the record I'd recommend history. Not only is it a great essay subject that requires analytical skill, but also for yourself on a personal level will make you more knowledgable about the world and how it has been formed.

By more informed i'm guessing you mean by taking the more modern section and leaning about the politics at that time?
Reply 24
Original post by tooambitious
LSE GCSEs 7/8*s +
Cambridge doesn't matter but 95+ avg UMS over top 3 at AS to be competitive

WOW! didn't think LSE was as high as that, is that just to study pure economics or will that change for the different variations of the subject?
WOW! didn't think LSE was as high as that, is that just to study pure economics or will that change for the different variations of the subject?

Straight econ is the most competetive afaik but other course like econ with economic history and one of the course and/with maths are also very competitive
Reply 26

That's conservative, I've read posts were people said 10+ A* for LSE.
Reply 27
Original post by danny111

I'm guessing they take into consideration subjects like admaths where you cant get an A*?
Reply 28
English Lit and Physics.
Reply 29
Well I've been told so many different things by so many different people its hard to know which a level to choose. All i really know is that Further maths and economics are essentials as economics at university becomes so much more mathematical compared to what it is at A level.

i would recommend physics, for problems solving skills,:wink:
Reply 30
Definitely take Geography, it's an essay based subject that will definitely help you in Econ, and the jump from Gcse geog to A level geog is not that big so getting +90% in it is not too hard and getting the A* prediction in it shouldn't be too challenging. I got an A in it at Gcse and at AS I ended up getting 98% in my AS for geography so it's not a hard subject. A girl in my school did Maths, Econ, further maths and Geography and got an offer from Cambridge. Do not take history if you haven't done it at Gcse it's just too risky and you don't need that added uncertainty of how you'll find it at A level. Taking physics is not very wise, it's very hard and may drain your efforts from the important maths subjects ( unless you're naturally talented at Physics)

Remember the most important thing is getting the A* prediction for Maths LSE, Cambridge all look for that as well as A's in the others.

Apply to Cambridge - if you have over 90% average in your AS levels (preferably 93% and over so you get automatically pooled by them)
Apply to LSE - if you have 10A*s + cause they prefer candidates with 10 A*s + at Gcse
Apply to Oxford - if you have at least 9-10 A*s at Gcse because they give preference to people who have a high A* percentage at GCSE

If you have excellent GCSE's and AS results than you're at a luxury! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31

True 10A*s really is what you should have to be applying there

Yes it was conservative, but two of three of those who got first round offers from LSE (myself included) from my school had 9*s and 1A

There are others on here who have gotten in with less, I think 10+*s is excessive
Well i have been told so many different things about what a levels i need to take to study economics at university. I'm wanting to study either pure economics or economics with mathematics at either oxbridge or LSE. I've decided that i'm defiantly going to study, Maths, Further Maths and Economics but i'm just a bit stuck on the 4th one. Initially i was told to take up a science and i was going to do physics since it ties in with maths however after speaking to my head of economics last week he thinks i should take an essay based subject. Is geography an essay based subject because i'm an A* student on that? I haven't taken history for GCSE but PRE-GCSE i was really good at it and it is a facilitating subject. English Lit could be an option because it is again a facilitating subject however i'm only an A grade student on that. Then if i really wanted to do i could do RS or sociology. In all honesty i'm just a bit puzzled as to which subject would be best to compliment my other ones.
So in short i'm taking Maths Further Maths and Economics but i need to take another one and the possible options which i am confident that i can do well in and will fill the fourth slot are:

Chemistry

Physics

History

English Lit

RS

Sociology

Physiology

Geography

Thanks for your help in advance.

Chemistry! I'm doing these 4 subjects, and I had a senior who got into Cambridge with the same combo. But I think Physics is good as well! Either one I guess?
Original post by NaimR
True 10A*s really is what you should have to be applying there

Original post by NaimR
Definitely take Geography, it's an essay based subject that will definitely help you in Econ, and the jump from Gcse geog to A level geog is not that big so getting +90% in it is not too hard and getting the A* prediction in it shouldn't be too challenging. I got an A in it at Gcse and at AS I ended up getting 98% in my AS for geography so it's not a hard subject. A girl in my school did Maths, Econ, further maths and Geography and got an offer from Cambridge. Do not take history if you haven't done it at Gcse it's just too risky and you don't need that added uncertainty of how you'll find it at A level. Taking physics is not very wise, it's very hard and may drain your efforts from the important maths subjects ( unless you're naturally talented at Physics)

Remember the most important thing is getting the A* prediction for Maths LSE, Cambridge all look for that as well as A's in the others.

Apply to Cambridge - if you have over 90% average in your AS levels (preferably 93% and over so you get automatically pooled by them)
Apply to LSE - if you have 10A*s + cause they prefer candidates with 10 A*s + at Gcse
Apply to Oxford - if you have at least 9-10 A*s at Gcse because they give preference to people who have a high A* percentage at GCSE

If you have excellent GCSE's and AS results than you're at a luxury! :smile:

For Cambridge you'll need higher than that
For LSE 10*s really isn't necessary, 9*s will almost guarantee you an offer of you have 4As and good predictions
For Oxford, it's a toss up between TSA and gcses for I televise selection so someone with 4A*s could get an offer if they had a good TSA, also gcses are contextualised
I have heard history is helpful for economics and it is a very well respected subject :rolleyes:
Geography and Economics are doss subjects.

Do:

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Chemistry
History
Reply 37
Further Maths and Economics is fine. Bath, Bristol, UCL, Warwick etc will ask for the A* in Maths or Economics.
Wow! You're getting such mixed advice. I'd say (just to add to the confusion :P ) that the best option is: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics and History/ Geography/ English lit./ a language. As you are doing both maths and further maths and are clearly a top student, you should probably take five subjects - some unis will only consider the maths/ further maths combination as one A level, besides you'll find maths really easy if you are doing further maths too. Economics is a pretty obvious one to do - I've seen a few people describe is as a bit of a 'doss' subject, load of rubbish. One of my friends just got an offer for economics at Cambridge (and I think she's also got one from LSE), she's taking economics, maths, further maths, possibly history or maybe german, and an extended project (I would definitely recommend this for your A2 year, universities apparently really like the EPQ). Physics is a very easy subject for any further mathematician with good logical thinking skills. And even if you're not that good at applying knowledge and using basic equations you can still do really well at it. And then an essay subject or a language is almost essential - economics is a weird mix of essays and maths from what I've heard, so being a bit more well-rounded would definitely be helpful. If you're not so good at English, a language is also a very facilitating subject - you can definitely link this into international business and stuff, and it may be useful if you want to do an internship abroad or just go on holiday!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Wow! You're getting such mixed advice. I'd say (just to add to the confusion :P ) that the best option is: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics and History/ Geography/ English lit./ a language. As you are doing both maths and further maths and are clearly a top student, you should probably take five subjects - some unis will only consider the maths/ further maths combination as one A level, besides you'll find maths really easy if you are doing further maths too. Economics is a pretty obvious one to do - I've seen a few people describe is as a bit of a 'doss' subject, load of rubbish. One of my friends just got an offer for economics at Cambridge (and I think she's also got one from LSE), she's taking economics, maths, further maths, possibly history or maybe german, and an extended project (I would definitely recommend this for your A2 year, universities apparently really like the EPQ). Physics is a very easy subject for any further mathematician with good logical thinking skills. And even if you're not that good at applying knowledge and using basic equations you can still do really well at it. And then an essay subject or a language is almost essential - economics is a weird mix of essays and maths from what I've heard, so being a bit more well-rounded would definitely be helpful. If you're not so good at English, a language is also a very facilitating subject - you can definitely link this into international business and stuff, and it may be useful if you want to do an internship abroad or just go on holiday!

Yes everyone is saying completely different things. Languages are an option because I do take 2 for gcse and should get an a* in both but is that better than history/English lit? My fourth subject is just to compliment the other three.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest