The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4300
Original post by MedMed12
haha just because it a typical name :tongue: higher chance its one of those than the others

and what makes you think I'm typical? :nothing:
Original post by Revent
and what makes you think I'm typical? :nothing:

because you want to do Medicine.
Reply 4302
because you want to do Medicine.

But I want to work in geriatrics. :nothing: That's not typical. Plus, I didn't want to do it before really; now I do.
Original post by Revent
But I want to work in geriatrics. :nothing: That's not typical. Plus, I didn't want to do it before really; now I do.

:O snap!
I used to want to do derma, now im into geriatrics (may change though) and I decided in yr 9 initially wanting to be a pilot, then do a maths degree, until it got serious :tongue:
Reply 4304
:O snap!
I used to want to do derma, now im into geriatrics (may change though) and I decided in yr 9 initially wanting to be a pilot, then do a maths degree, until it got serious :tongue:

Trying to copy me :lol: So typical. Everyone wants to be like perfection*. Why did you want to do dermatology? I guess you get paid to do **** all if that's what matters to you. I still want to do a maths degree though although I've been advised against doing so, so only time will tell whether or not it's possible.

*Perfection is synonymous with Revent.
Reply 4305
disco deewaaaaannnneeeeeee

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Revent
Trying to copy me :lol: So typical. Everyone wants to be like perfection*. Why did you want to do dermatology? I guess you get paid to do **** all if that's what matters to you. I still want to do a maths degree though although I've been advised against doing so, so only time will tell whether or not it's possible.

*Perfection is synonymous with Revent.

aha sneaky side comment there!
Erm I'm not sure tbh, I found it really interesting and a fam friend of ours, she is a derma and that inspired me. Theres alot of other things you can do with it apart from working in a hospital and the hours are nice (esp if you have a fam) and nah the pay isnt what im after, idc about it.
Aha I dont think id enjoy maths. I wanted to do a maths degree to do investment banking and be rich (that as when I was young, niave and thought money was important)
you could do a maths degree as an intercalated one right?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zeegie
disco deewaaaaannnneeeeeee

Posted from TSR Mobile

wondering where youd gone :tongue:
Reply 4308
aha sneaky side comment there!
Erm I'm not sure tbh, I found it really interesting and a fam friend of ours, she is a derma and that inspired me. Theres alot of other things you can do with it apart from working in a hospital and the hours are nice (esp if you have a fam) and nah the pay isnt what im after, idc about it.
Aha I dont think id enjoy maths. I wanted to do a maths degree to do investment banking and be rich (that as when I was young, niave and thought money was important)

Fair enough. Why not a GP then? I mean, the hours are great for GP's and I imagine it's a lot more interesting than dermatology! Why geriatrics though? Most people look at me as if I'm mad when I say geriatrics! :laugh: I love maths so much that trying to make money out of it is an idea that is beyond ridiculous to me. :wink:
Original post by Revent
Fair enough. Why not a GP then? I mean, the hours are great for GP's and I imagine it's a lot more interesting than dermatology! Why geriatrics though? Most people look at me as if I'm mad when I say geriatrics! :laugh: I love maths so much that trying to make money out of it is an idea that is beyond ridiculous to me. :wink:

From volunteering, I just found I enjoy working with old people. They are cute like kids, but they can talk and say whats wrong :tongue:
hmm GP would be abit boring for me, in the little room all day and too general. But who knows! the lifestyle for it would be easier to manage with a family too.
aha can you not do maths intercalated?
Reply 4310
From volunteering, I just found I enjoy working with old people. They are cute like kids, but they can talk and say whats wrong :tongue:
hmm GP would be abit boring for me, in the little room all day and too general. But who knows! the lifestyle for it would be easier to manage with a family too.
aha can you not do maths intercalated?

Yeah, I agree. I especially love working with dementia patients (I used to work in an elderly care ward for the past six months)! Plus, according to a lot of the staff, I have a natural ability to put them at ease, which is something I like doing since I actually tend to be very nervous normally. :giggle:

I think it's interesting, being able to build rapport with a large number of patients over the years. You get the chance to see a child when it's born, all the way to when he or she is a fully grown adult and to be there for hundreds of people like that sounds cool. :tongue:

No, I don't think it's possible but I'm not too fussed. :smile:
Original post by Revent
Yeah, I agree. I especially love working with dementia patients (I used to work in an elderly care ward for the past six months)! Plus, according to a lot of the staff, I have a natural ability to put them at ease, which is something I like doing since I actually tend to be very nervous normally. :giggle:

I think it's interesting, being able to build rapport with a large number of patients over the years. You get the chance to see a child when it's born, all the way to when he or she is a fully grown adult and to be there for hundreds of people like that sounds cool. :tongue:

No, I don't think it's possible but I'm not too fussed. :smile:

aha tell me about it :smile: I volunteer on an elderly ward at the hospital and afew of them have been there for like months D:
n'awww!
Its so surprising how volunteering really increase your confidence so much :smile: I imagined I'd always panic with like lots of blood, but in A&E I was fine (although it was abit stressful)

Yeah thats one thing I like about GP- I get on with my docs very well and I've known them for years and they're a good laugh :smile:

Ahh nevermind when you start medicine, youll be jam packed with work :P

Most likely, we'll change our mind like the rest. But, who knows!
Reply 4312
wondering where youd gone :tongue:

revising maths....one last exam come oneeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zeegie
revising maths....one last exam come oneeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

aha you set for the exam?
Reply 4314
aha tell me about it :smile: I volunteer on an elderly ward at the hospital and afew of them have been there for like months D:
n'awww!
Its so surprising how volunteering really increase your confidence so much :smile: I imagined I'd always panic with like lots of blood, but in A&E I was fine (although it was abit stressful)

Yeah thats one thing I like about GP- I get on with my docs very well and I've known them for years and they're a good laugh :smile:

Ahh nevermind when you start medicine, youll be jam packed with work :P

Most likely, we'll change our mind like the rest. But, who knows!

Yeah, I've had a lot of 'favourite' patients who I used to basically see everyday and I was really sad to hear when they die. Plus, it's nice, to sit down with them and have a chat because they have so much to talk about and it's nice to listen to them. :smile: Plus, they're so vulnerable, and I imagine that most people want to avoid that area. With dementia becoming a larger problem in this country, I think geriatrics needs people who are genuinely interested in it rather than a last resort.

Yeah, imagine being in the position of a GP. I personally find the doctor-patient relationship really 'exciting'. :smile: I mean, it's a part of the reason why I like geriatrics because the elderly seem to be a lot more trusting and friendly than others.

I doubt I'll change my mind because I actually worked in the ward full time, so I have hands on experience of what it's like. Like right now, I'm working in the radiology department and although I find the CT scan images and trying to read them and spot tumours (and other problems) fascinating, I can't see myself doing that everyday because I see it getting dull. :smile:
i hate english controlled assessments. just in case anyone was interested.
Original post by Revent
Yeah, I've had a lot of 'favourite' patients who I used to basically see everyday and I was really sad to hear when they die. Plus, it's nice, to sit down with them and have a chat because they have so much to talk about and it's nice to listen to them. :smile: Plus, they're so vulnerable, and I imagine that most people want to avoid that area. With dementia becoming a larger problem in this country, I think geriatrics needs people who are genuinely interested in it rather than a last resort.

Yeah, imagine being in the position of a GP. I personally find the doctor-patient relationship really 'exciting'. :smile: I mean, it's a part of the reason why I like geriatrics because the elderly seem to be a lot more trusting and friendly than others.

I doubt I'll change my mind because I actually worked in the ward full time, so I have hands on experience of what it's like. Like right now, I'm working in the radiology department and although I find the CT scan images and trying to read them and spot tumours (and other problems) fascinating, I can't see myself doing that everyday because I see it getting dull. :smile:

yeah one patient had a stroke and I remember coming home and just thinking about it for ages :l and because I'm like quite young and alot of them dont really see young people that much, they get really happy (which is quite cute) :')
exactly, one of them in ICU was telling me about 'never give up on your dreams' and all :l
yeah very vunerable- its sensitive especially its inevitable that alot will die
on BBC, theres an article about the baby boom occuring again :tongue:
hmm definitely, I dont actually mind going to the doctors, but of the whole doc patient relationship, as we always have a catch up :P its quite strange, how they are like friends as well as your doctor.
your HCA job has got to be the best experience ever. I'm defo doing that if I have to reapply. My friend is atm and apart from one time with 10 days of shifts and then being swore at, punched, hit etc shes loving it and is now working full time.
been up to much else? got plans for the rest of your gap yah ?
Original post by salmon-aiman
i hate english controlled assessments. just in case anyone was interested.

gcse?
*pats on head*

I agree, so glad we had coursework :P
Reply 4318
in depth convo going on here lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
gcse?
*pats on head*

I agree, so glad we had coursework :P

Yes thanks for that...:L
I have just been told to rewrite my english again -_- or at least some of it, and i had thought it was pretty good to start with too tbh! :frown:

Latest