The Student Room Group

Edexcel D1 Jan 23 2013 Revision thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
When creating a scheduling diagram, is there a specific way you're meant to do it to get the marks? Or just arrange them in the way that's the best fit for each worker?
Original post by Yaana
When creating a scheduling diagram, is there a specific way you're meant to do it to get the marks? Or just arrange them in the way that's the best fit for each worker?

always draw all the crtical activites first one after the other at the top and then below just slot them one after the other in a way that's logically right, I don't think that there is always 1 answer. they usually ask a lower bound question just before that so try and do the question with the same amount of rows as the lower bound
Reply 62
I guess as long as none of the workers go over the critical value it should be okay?
Thankyou:smile:
Reply 63
Original post by WavingFLag
The answer is in the question. What is the objective of the linear problem? does it say that they are trying to maximise profit etc? If so optimal value will be maximum.
Post question and we can help further

Nope the question doesn't say, unless im misunderstanding. Have you got the edexcel book? because i dont know how to put the question on here
Yeah I have which page?
Also can someone tell me if its okay for me to use pencil to draw the scheduling/gannt chart diagram. I mean, what questions can use pencil, as I assume all other working out has to be in pen.
Reply 65
Yeah I have which page?
Also can someone tell me if its okay for me to use pencil to draw the scheduling/gannt chart diagram. I mean, what questions can use pencil, as I assume all other working out has to be in pen.

I always assumed that all the drawing stuff had to be done in pencil...:s-smilie:
Sorry I'm an inependent student so I tend to question everything...
Really appreciating all the help guys - you're ace!
Reply 67
Sorry I'm an inependent student so I tend to question everything...
Really appreciating all the help guys - you're ace!

No worries :smile: I'm self-studying this as well :h:
Reply 68
Yeah I have which page?

Page 140 Question 7. Part c)
Reply 69
:ashamed: This may be an incredibly stupid question, but when adding arcs using Kruskal's algorithm or Prim's algorithm does it matter on the order of the letters i.e. when adding the edge between vertex C and vertex D does it matter if you write DC instead of CD or vice versa.
Original post by Kishan91
:ashamed: This may be an incredibly stupid question, but when adding arcs using Kruskal's algorithm or Prim's algorithm does it matter on the order of the letters i.e. when adding the edge between vertex C and vertex D does it matter if you write DC instead of CD or vice versa.

No, although I always do it alphabetically.
You're right, they don't mention if it is minimum or maximum. Firstly its nothing to worry about as all past papers make clear if they're looking for optimal minimum or optimal maximum. In this case I would assume optimal to be maximum as they have given you a new objective line 'x+2y' and to find optimal generally means to find best/highest value to get best/highest result.

As far as I know you can list the edges in any order. I would normally go for alphabetical as that is how most/all mar schemes list them.

How is everyone feeling?
Reply 72
I always assumed that all the drawing stuff had to be done in pencil...:s-smilie:

Most questions in D1 involve drawing of some kind, though!
Reply 73
You're right, they don't mention if it is minimum or maximum. Firstly its nothing to worry about as all past papers make clear if they're looking for optimal minimum or optimal maximum. In this case I would assume optimal to be maximum as they have given you a new objective line 'x+2y' and to find optimal generally means to find best/highest value to get best/highest result.

As far as I know you can list the edges in any order. I would normally go for alphabetical as that is how most/all mar schemes list them.

How is everyone feeling?

I'm feeling okay.

I always seem to drop 2/3 marks in every past paper I do though, which is really annoying. That usually equates to 5/6 UMS marks!

I'm still quite worried about the rows in the table of the algorithm thingy

Also, I'm not so hot on definitions.

How are you feeling?
Reply 74
Original post by lizz-ie
Most questions in D1 involve drawing of some kind, though!

I know :frown: Never seen a maths module involve so much drawing before.

How is everyone feeling?

Earlier today I was pretty confident, but now I am starting to feel worried due to constant silly mistakes. I just want to get the exam over and done with. :erm:
Reply 75
I know :frown: Never seen a maths module involve so much drawing before.

Earlier today I was pretty confident, but now I am starting to feel worried due to constant silly mistakes. I just want to get the exam over and done with. :erm:

can I ask for question 12) review exercise2 have they made a mistake on part e and f
I'm feeling okay but I keep making silly mistakes too. Hoping for 100% focus in exam as can't afford to lose silly marks.
Anyone fancy answering a question about a past paper - its the only question I can't get. I mean I don't even understand what its asking. EEK!
I didn't understand f of 17 either, e was pretty straight forward though
Also what I never understand is when they say that an activity can't be completed in critical time as a worker isn't available. How do you schedule that? Is it still by lowest event time? Etc
Reply 78
I'm feeling okay but I keep making silly mistakes too. Hoping for 100% focus in exam as can't afford to lose silly marks.
Anyone fancy answering a question about a past paper - its the only question I can't get. I mean I don't even understand what its asking. EEK!
I didn't understand f of 17 either, e was pretty straight forward though

Sure I'll give it a go, which one is it?
Original post by Meme4
Sure I'll give it a go, which one is it?

Its May 2010 Q2 b
If you can tell me what its asking I would be eternally grateful :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending