Durham
Visit website

Durham University Foundation Course 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by aimeelou89
Congratulations I'm studying criminology with foundation :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers! Congrats to you too! What college have you applied for?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 41
Original post by Hegelian
Cheers! Congrats to you too! What college have you applied for?

Thank you! I applied and got into butler

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
Original post by CameronLee
Just a random question - I'm studying Biology , Chemistry and business , would I be able to apply for the LLB foundation and what would the grade requirements be ? Hoping to do medicine but it's good to keep options open haha xD

I'm guessing your doing A'levels? Personally I would apply for the non-foundation medicine or LLB degree, as the foundation course is for students who have few or no formal qualifications (or as a conversion route). I would contact the foundation department to query.
Reply 43
Original post by riju1212
Hello may i knw what r the minimum entry requirements for the LLB foundation course in Durham University?

Check the website.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/foundation.centre/dpp/entry/

According to the website, it states that you need the following: for the LLB:

"Admissions Criteria: Applicants would normally have completed the National Admissions Test for Law (LNAT) at point of application. Their performance would then be considered by the department alongside their application before an offer is made"

Check the list of modules:
http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/m102.pdf

If you have any other questions about applying phone the foundation department.:biggrin:
Reply 44
Hi, I was just wondering in general terms what the work load is like during the year. For example is it very intensive, manageable or of a similar level to that of A level courses. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by add4
Hi, I was just wondering in general terms what the work load is like during the year. For example is it very intensive, manageable or of a similar level to that of A level courses. Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is intensive, but manageable. I think the level is between GCSE and A'level. The workload depends on whether you are on the art and humanities or the more science based subjects. The art and humanities is more theoretical compared to the more practical science subjects. I find the work straight forward, but there can be a lot of it. But don't let that panic you, its good preparation for the subject you go on to study (which is always good)
Reply 46
Thank you for the info that really helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey guys, I've got an offer from LLB with foundation on 16th of January also made it to get acceptance from Butler, which I applied because of the guaranteed en-suite rooms. But I see that you wrote Butler is a bit far to the centre, so I am a bit scared:smile: Well I didn't do A Levels or anything, I also didn't take LNAT. So I think it won't be that hard to get an offer, at least it was not hard for me. If you have any questions I would be happy to reply :smile:
Original post by naberbenbegum
Hey guys, I've got an offer from LLB with foundation on 16th of January also made it to get acceptance from Butler, which I applied because of the guaranteed en-suite rooms. But I see that you wrote Butler is a bit far to the centre, so I am a bit scared:smile: Well I didn't do A Levels or anything, I also didn't take LNAT. So I think it won't be that hard to get an offer, at least it was not hard for me. If you have any questions I would be happy to reply :smile:

Don't worry, Butler's only a couple of minutes walk further than other colleges; you never have to walk far in Durham. :smile:
Reply 49
Just out of curiosity do Foundation students take part in matriculation or do they do it the year after when they join the first year of their undergraduate degree programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by add4
Just out of curiosity do Foundation students take part in matriculation or do they do it the year after when they join the first year of their undergraduate degree programme.

If it's possible to find out, I think it'll be somewhere in here?

http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/university.calendar/volumeii/2012.2013/matricregsug.pdf
Original post by Awoodrow2
If it's possible to find out, I think it'll be somewhere in here?

http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/university.calendar/volumeii/2012.2013/matricregsug.pdf

Seems like you know a lot about Durham. Can you tell me about entertainment during the day and fun at night?
Reply 52

its about a ten/ fifteen minute walk to the centre, but there is a park and ride bus stop just outside of Butler. The bus only takes a few minutes to get the centre.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
Original post by add4

Posted from TSR Mobile

The matriculation takes place in the foundation year, so you officially become a student of durham and a member of your college
Reply 54
Thank you another question answered :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seems like you know a lot about Durham. Can you tell me about entertainment during the day and fun at night?

I'd redirect you to:

a) These posts of my FAQ;
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2047014&p=38553391#post38553391
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2047014&p=38591521#post38591521

b) This thread on Durham's nightlife, with a wide range of views from different people;
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2116631

thanks, it helped a lot :smile:
Reply 57
Hi another 2 questions if you don't mind. I was just really wondering what the class sizes are like and what is the balance like between exams and coursework? Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by add4
Hi another 2 questions if you don't mind. I was just really wondering what the class sizes are like and what is the balance like between exams and coursework? Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The classes sizes depends on the module. For English the class had about 30 students, but for Ancient History there were 10. It depends on whether the modules are joint with art and humanities and Social Sciences students for example.

The 1st block exams take place after Christmas so you have a four week holiday break for revision, which is plenty of time to prepare. The coursework can involve doing several essays over the course of a semester. I usually give myself two weeks on one essay, some students take a week. It all depends on how you work and how you organise your time.
Reply 59
Thank you so much for helping me to understand the Foundation year it is much appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest