The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have quite a pointy chin and from those pictures, I prefer that to be honest!
Reply 41
Both?
Pointy is more of a hot/cute, whereas a strong jaw is sexy/can't-touch-this
:smile:
Original post by Lord_Farquad
Am I the only one who think Keira Knightly is actually pretty ugly?

no. I also think little of her looks (but even less of her acting talents!)
She would fall into pointy chin category:

http://liveforfilms.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/liv-tyler.jpg?w=240&h=300

but look a her:

http://wallpaper.rghomedesign.com/medium/1/Heart-Shaped-Faces-Hairstyles.jpg

both pointed chins, yet first is softer, second more angular/more prominent.

the question should be whether you prefer pointed vs soft chins.
Original post by other one
no. I also think little of her looks (but even less of her acting talents!)

You know this thread is from like 3 years ago...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Strong jaw = strong genetics!

People with god awful genetics generally have crap jaws!
Reply 46
Strong jaw as per the beautiful and perfect Miranda Kerr <3
Reply 47
A lot of women have 'classic' feminine faces with a soft chin, that means neither pointy nor a strong jaw. Those two categories really doesn't cover the most typical ones.

I find the pointy chin much more attractive, I think a strong jaw looks way too masculine for a woman. However a strong jaw will typically make you more photogenic, it looks better in photos and on screen for the way it 'captures' the light (same as high, defined cheekbones). Which is why so many models have strong jaws, and as the trend goes, a lot of actresses these days as well. I was watching a movie with Eva Mendes (who has an extreme jaw) with a guy I know and he commented how a lot of actresses look more masculine than their male counterparts these days. I hadn't really thought about it until he mentioned it.
I do think Keira Knightley is pretty, but I think she is attractive in spite of her strong jaw, not because of it. Salma Hayek looks to manly to me. I would much prefer to have Jessica Alba's delicate features.
Reply 48
Original post by Saff123
That's an interesting summery of the differences. I can't say I ever thought about it before, while I doubt anyone would kick any of these women out of bed, my concern is that it may become yet another part of the body for women to develop a complex over. I think Angelina Jolie is stunningly beautiful with her "strong jaw" but so is this Brazilian stunner with her pointy jaw one of the most beautiful women in the world:

It's all down to personal preference really. I think Alessandra is photogenic and always styled well, but I don't find her beautiful. Overall I find her way too manly and a little mean looking and I've heard others say the same thing.

alessandra-ambrosio-victorias-secret-fashion-show-467.jpg

Personally I find feminine features much more attractive
apr092008_tns_kate_bosworth_natural.jpg

Obviously it's a good thing preferences are different, so there is somebody for everyone :smile:
Original post by RemiMarcelle
You know this thread is from like 3 years ago...

Posted from TSR Mobile

her looks/acting talents haven't changed for the better imo
Original post by Millie228
It's all down to personal preference really. I think Alessandra is photogenic and always styled well, but I don't find her beautiful. Overall I find her way too manly and a little mean looking and I've heard others say the same thing.

alessandra-ambrosio-victorias-secret-fashion-show-467.jpg

Personally I find feminine features much more attractive
apr092008_tns_kate_bosworth_natural.jpg

Obviously it's a good thing preferences are different, so there is somebody for everyone :smile:

I agree. I too think she's manly and mean looking. for some reason such people really annoy me that they are thought of as these breathtakingly good looking people when I think she is more ugly than pretty to be honest.
Reply 51
I agree. I too think she's manly and mean looking. for some reason such people really annoy me that they are thought of as these breathtakingly good looking people when I think she is more ugly than pretty to be honest.

Yeah, I think they've kept her because a lot of people got a thing for her a long time ago. She also probably has a good contract. She had a great body for the VS shows in 2005 and 2006. She had a baby, and later became too skinny, no breasts or butt, and when you're that skinny it will show on your face.
It's really the norm that models look very different in real life, and the bone structure is part of that. A strong jaw can look good in photos, but very masculine in real life. I sat next to a Victoria's Secret model on my last flight to NYC (Edita Vilkeviciute). If I didn't follow fashion and already knew about her, there is NO way I would have guessed she worked with VS. She looked a bit weird and manly, her hair was a mess and when she was walking towards the passport control, not one man was looking. You can be a star on the catwalk and men ignore you on real life. I think that is the norm rather than the exception.
I am in NYC now, and when I got my hair done yesterday, Karolina Kurkova was at the salon. Same thing - she looked very average, I would say even below average.
So yeah there is a very distinct difference between what works on camera and in real life. I am not one of those people who glorify models. I've done test shots for photographers before and I see what they do to the pictures. I know and have met quite a few models and I can honestly say all of my best looking friends are not in modeling. Obviously a lot has changed in the past 30 years. Back then, models were meant to look hot and feminine. Today, they are 6", size 0 and merely some hybrid between a woman and a teenage boy. Of course the exception is underwear and swimwear models, although some of the brands have started using high fashion models for that too (like Karlie Kloss for VS which looks ridiculous).
(edited 11 years ago)
Yeah, I think they've kept her because a lot of people got a thing for her a long time ago. She also probably has a good contract. She had a great body for the VS shows in 2005 and 2006. She had a baby, and later became too skinny, no breasts or butt, and when you're that skinny it will show on your face.
It's really the norm that models look very different in real life, and the bone structure is part of that. A strong jaw can look good in photos, but very masculine in real life. I sat next to a Victoria's Secret model on my last flight to NYC (Edita Vilkeviciute). If I didn't follow fashion and already knew about her, there is NO way I would have guessed she worked with VS. She looked a bit weird and manly, her hair was a mess and when she was walking towards the passport control, not one man was looking. You can be a star on the catwalk and men ignore you on real life. I think that is the norm rather than the exception.
I am in NYC now, and when I got my hair done yesterday, Karolina Kurkova was at the salon. Same thing - she looked very average, I would say even below average.
So yeah there is a very distinct difference between what works on camera and in real life. I am not one of those people who glorify models. I've done test shots for photographers before and I see what they do to the pictures. I know and have met quite a few models and I can honestly say all of my best looking friends are not in modeling. Obviously a lot has changed in the past 30 years. Back then, models were meant to look hot and feminine. Today, they are 6", size 0 and merely some hybrid between a woman and a teenage boy. Of course the exception is underwear and swimwear models, although some of the brands have started using high fashion models for that too (like Karlie Kloss for VS which looks ridiculous).

very interesting, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I think Rosie Whiteley Huntingdon has an unattractive face for instance exactly because there is no femininity, softness or prettiness involved. And her facial expressions of' oh I'm so sexy' just don't help. Body-wise some VS models seem to lack a waist and while they are all generally really skinny, none of them have that feminine narrow waist-wide hip look which I am sure men kill for in real life. lots of models again have really skinny arses, even a bit of squatting would do them wonders. I know I should never deign to read the Daily Mail, but when it runs articles on a VS model, who is supposed to be the envy of us all at the beach, I could cringe. Why would we want to look like skeletons, as I said some of them with really unfortunate proportions (legs too short/ no waist). and a lot of young girls probably think that's what goes for sexy...
Reply 53
I'd look odd with a strong jaw, so pointy for me :tongue:
Reply 54
very interesting, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I think Rosie Whiteley Huntingdon has an unattractive face for instance exactly because there is no femininity, softness or prettiness involved. And her facial expressions of' oh I'm so sexy' just don't help. Body-wise some VS models seem to lack a waist and while they are all generally really skinny, none of them have that feminine narrow waist-wide hip look which I am sure men kill for in real life. lots of models again have really skinny arses, even a bit of squatting would do them wonders. I know I should never deign to read the Daily Mail, but when it runs articles on a VS model, who is supposed to be the envy of us all at the beach, I could cringe. Why would we want to look like skeletons, as I said some of them with really unfortunate proportions (legs too short/ no waist). and a lot of young girls probably think that's what goes for sexy...

I do find Rosie Huntington-Whiteley attractive, mostly because I like that she doesn't look like everybody else. I wouldn't call her features masculine though, just different. She looks quite feminine when she smiles and she doesn't have "hard" features. However she mostly does the 'sexy' look, with cat eye makeup, pouty lips, bed hair etc. Simply because models have to do the look they're paid to do according to their image. She's become more of a lads mag model at this point, because women don't like women who play up "sexy" too much, but men do. I think she'd look "cute" and quite normal with no makeup, but she has the potential to be a "bomb" with the right styling, and it's what matters. A 6 who can become a 10 is much more valuable in showbiz than a natural 8 who can become a 9.
Candice Swanepoel is the only VS model with a great hip/waist ratio. Miranda is a bit more straight, but I find her figure attractive too - she's naturally slim, very healthy and looks like she is. The rest of the models are quite mediocre to me. Some of them would probably look better with a bit meat on them, but as the camera adds weight, it's easier for them to stay skinny. It's also easier to airbrush out ribs and veins than it is to airbrush fat. Adriana Lima is not attractive to me - she has a manly face and no waist at all.
(edited 11 years ago)
I do find Rosie Huntington-Whiteley attractive, mostly because I like that she doesn't look like everybody else. I wouldn't call her features masculine though, just different. She looks quite feminine when she smiles and she doesn't have "hard" features. However she mostly does the 'sexy' look, with cat eye makeup, pouty lips, bed hair etc. Simply because models have to do the look they're paid to do according to their image. She's become more of a lads mag model at this point, because women don't like women who play up "sexy" too much, but men do. I think she'd look "cute" and quite normal with no makeup, but she has the potential to be a "bomb" with the right styling, and it's what matters. A 6 who can become a 10 is much more valuable in showbiz than a natural 8 who can become a 9.
Candice Swanepoel is the only VS model with a great hip/waist ratio. Miranda is a bit more straight, but I find her figure attractive too - she's naturally slim, very healthy and looks like she is. The rest of the models are quite mediocre to me. Some of them would probably look better with a bit meat on them, but as the camera adds weight, it's easier for them to stay skinny. It's also easier to airbrush out ribs and veins than it is to airbrush fat. Adriana Lima is not attractive to me - she has a manly face and no waist at all.

If you search for Jessica Alba or Cheryl Cole, they just seem so incredibly pretty all the time and mostly pose with good facial expressions.

RHW just looks so unnatural and perhaps that's what makes her unattractive for me. I am no true beauty but I'd never want to look like this:
http://www.rosiehuntingtonwhiteleyfans.co.uk/celebrity/photos/934_rosie-huntingtonwhiteley-pink-rosie-huntington-whiteley-hair-1957248829.jpg
or http://www.rosiehuntingtonwhiteleyfans.co.uk/celebrity/photos/ckjh-rosie-huntington-whiteley-victoria-secret-976281761.jpg

she does look better here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/03/Rosie_Huntington-Whiteley_C%26R_11.jpg/220px-Rosie_Huntington-Whiteley_C%26R_11.jpg

It's perhaps this thing about how a model must look as you said, the facial expressions are just so ridiculous and unappealing in my eyes. I think you can only pull it off if you have perfectly proportionate features, which RWH just simply doesn't have, so it renders her posing even more ludicrous.

Candice S. I see what you mean body-wise and as for Miranda Kerr - now she has got an unusual face, I always thought that's what people notice first not her body. but I think she is attractive facially as opposed to Rosie.
Reply 56
Original post by O-Ren
Pointy chins:

Edit: I've replaced a picture of Reese Witherspoon with Tyra Banks, as I realised Reese actually does have a strong jaw (as well as a pointy chin).

Strong jaws:

no preference, couldnt really care either, you see attractive women with all different features, its not possible to box people like that
Am I the only one around here who has never much attention to the structure of a females chin ? There is much more important things to be looking at :confused: eyes , figure , smile etc.
Reply 58
Personally, I prefer a stronger, more Square jaw- there's just something about a strong, round Jaw I don't really like however.
strong jaws are for men.

Latest