The Student Room Group

Work experience: would you feel comfortable with this?

Hi! So I have been offered up to two weeks with a new equine vets which is about 5 minutes from me, I don't know a lot about it because I've never owned a horse in this area.

But he asked when I'd be free to do it, which I thought was odd because the 5 other large animal/equine vets I have spoken to are booked up until early 2014. Also he said he doesn't have employee insurance so I'd have to provide my own. Which I could as I plan to join the BHS to do more exams.

I just wondered what other people thought... My honest gut instinct is to ignore the email and wait until next year to go to the other places. But what do you guys think?

Thanks.
Original post by SuperCat007
Hi! So I have been offered up to two weeks with a new equine vets which is about 5 minutes from me, I don't know a lot about it because I've never owned a horse in this area.

But he asked when I'd be free to do it, which I thought was odd because the 5 other large animal/equine vets I have spoken to are booked up until early 2014. Also he said he doesn't have employee insurance so I'd have to provide my own. Which I could as I plan to join the BHS to do more exams.

I just wondered what other people thought... My honest gut instinct is to ignore the email and wait until next year to go to the other places. But what do you guys think?

Thanks.

Why is this odd/suspicious?
How old are you? Do you have the time to wait for the other placements before applying for uni?

I'd go for it - if you want to do it, then more work experience is always good. It's near you, and if you have your own insurance, it sounds like an ideal placement! :biggrin: The reason he's not booked up is probably just coz he's new, I couldn't say whether that's the best experience environment, but I'm sure it'd be really interesting, and you may get a better look into the business side of it if he's still trying to start up :smile:

I don't really see what's stopping you!
Reply 3
Thanks for your replies. I meant new as in it opened in 2011, so not brand new but very new compared to most of the other places I have contacted. It just seems really weird that they should not be booked up when all the others are... Is there a reason?? There's some real weirdo's around here so I don't want to end up in a bad situation, or handling dangerous animals.

But then, on the other hand maybe as he doesn't have employee cover then people still at school can't get the insurance they need to work with him... Maybe that's it...

I'll be applying 2014 at the earliest and all my other equine/large animal placements will be in the summer of 2014. So I essentially have a year before I *NEED* to do it.
Original post by SuperCat007
Thanks for your replies. I meant new as in it opened in 2011, so not brand new but very new compared to most of the other places I have contacted. It just seems really weird that they should not be booked up when all the others are... Is there a reason?? There's some real weirdo's around here so I don't want to end up in a bad situation, or handling dangerous animals.

But then, on the other hand maybe as he doesn't have employee cover then people still at school can't get the insurance they need to work with him... Maybe that's it...

I'll be applying 2014 at the earliest and all my other equine/large animal placements will be in the summer of 2014. So I essentially have a year before I *NEED* to do it.

I wouldn't read into things too much. He will have fewer students either due to insurance reasons, and/or because people have not heard of him compared to some of the other well established practices. If you don't give it a go, then you won't ever know if the placement is a good one or not. It is unlikely the vet would be dodgy in whatever way you might be thinking, not many vets would risk their entire careers! You've got nothing to lose by going and you need as much experience as you can.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Most equine places I have been to/looked into have required me to have my own insurance, as since they aren't paying me a salary I am not staff and therefore not covered under their insurance. I don't think that is that unusual.

As for why he isn't booked up-I agree, don't read too much into it. I've been to places that have waiting lists and I wouldn't go back, and I've been to places that were able to take me right away and I'd go again in a heartbeat. There are loads of reasons a place may not be booked up. If you are that concerned, maybe see about doing a trial day or ask around for what others are saying. Good that you are aware of your own safety, but at the end of the day you have to look after yourself so if you think something will put you in danger/get you injured-just don't do it.
'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending