The Student Room Group

best A levels for physics

hi guys Ive decided to go into physics as I really enjoy it, what A levels will be best for getting into uni for a physics degree. cheers guys and girls :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
maths, further maths and physics should be your basis I reckon, then one other subject you enjoy
Reply 2
Original post by Robbie242
maths, further maths and physics should be your basis I reckon, then one other subject you enjoy

i thought maths but would i really need to do two loads of maths lol?
Reply 3
I study physics at Warwick, currently in the second year. Further maths is by far the most useful A level I took, and it looks great for universities too. I really can't recommend it enough. If you don't like the idea of studying double math then perhaps you need to reconsider your degree choice - physics at university involves a phenomenal amount of maths.
Reply 4
Physics and Maths are the only ones you need. Further maths is obviously very helpful but isn't required for a standard Physics degree, but may be for a Theoretical Physics degree.

If you're not interested in another maths, Chemistry is one to go for. Some of the subject areas cross and they can compliment each other, although not as much as Maths and Physics.

Hope this helps!
Reply 5
I know physics is almost all maths just did not no i needed further maths. maybe physics, maths, further maths and chemistry? is 4 A levels needed for a good uni course? thank you guys
Reply 6
Maths, further maths, physics, additional further maths.

alot of decision maths is used in first year for the computing side of physics , and mechanics and further pure modules are really useful as very. physics at degree level is just loads of maths, so the more types you maths you know, the better prepared you are.
Maths - Essential
w/ Mechanics modules - Extremely useful
Physics - Essential
Further Maths - Completely worth it. Being good at maths is practically essential for a physics degree. It opens up the possibility of taking maths department modules instead of the watered down maths physicists do in first year.
Reply 8
Original post by MOTORMADX
Maths, further maths, physics, additional further maths.

alot of decision maths is used in first year for the computing side of physics , and mechanics and further pure modules are really useful as very. physics at degree level is just loads of maths, so the more types you maths you know, the better prepared you are.

Ok thank you for your help im not the greatest with maths, as never managed to do GCSE at school got kicked out had to work my way up from the bottom at college but on my lastest maths course was equivalent to GCSE and i got a A* or there about so hopefully if i put in enough work i can raise my maths skills :smile:
You don't need to do F Maths, but it would help a lot for a degree I think. For AS I'd recommend Physics, Maths, F Maths and Chemistry and for A2 drop Chem.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by H_Aple
You don't need to do F Maths, but it would help a lot for a degree I think. For AS I'd recommend Physics, Maths, F Maths and Chemistry and for A2 drop Chem.

ok thankyou :smile: will do that and maybe get extra help outside college to help boost my grades :smile:
Reply 11
If you're taking 4 AS's and 3 A2's

Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. Then drop Chemistry for A2.

Or if you're taking 5 AS's and 4 A2's

Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Computing*. Then drop Computing for A2.

* I know Computing seems completely irrelevant, but it shows a good ability to solve problems when apply for uni
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Oaktree
If you're taking 4 AS's and 3 A2's

Physics, Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry. Then drop Chemistry for A2.

Or if you're taking 5 AS's and 4 A2's

Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Computing*. Then drop Computing for A2.

* I know Computing seems completely irrelevant, but it shows a good ability to solve problems when apply for uni

i think I will take the 4AS's as then i will be able to manage it
Maths and Physics are a must. FM isn't a necessity, but it'll make your life a damn sight easier and is highly recommended. Chemistry is a good AS/A-level to have as well.
Reply 14
Original post by wrexhamfc
Maths and Physics are a must. FM isn't a necessity, but it'll make your life a damn sight easier and is highly recommended. Chemistry is a good AS/A-level to have as well.

ok thankyou =]
Im going to start a physics degree come September.

I currently study Maths, Physics, Chemistry and IT

Took maths because I enjoy it and am good at it

Took physics and chemistry because I enjoyed them, had no idea what I wanted to do so set up a good basis for me

Took IT because I really enjoyed GCSE IT, but was always my plan to drop it after AS, and ended up hating at AS so good job I could drop it (nearly took electronics which my college only does AS so would've required me to do IT at A2)

Got advised to not do further maths as I didn't know what I wanted to do and got asked would I enjoy having half my week as maths (not including all the maths you get in physics/chemistry)

Not taking further maths has not disadvantaged me in anyway at all, the maths you do in physics is essentially following formulas, nothing like what a level maths is with binomial expansion, integration etc, and my maths skills are good.

Not hindered me in my UCAS in the slightest, sent it off and got all my offers within 2 weeks, no interviews. That was with predicted grades of AAB as where realistically I'm going to get ABB (I'm predicted an A in chemistry but college was really stupid and decided to move me to a different group with different teachers I've never had before, no idea how they taught etc plus one of them I hate)

Obviously take physics and maths, chemistrys probably a good one to have but definitely not compulsory. Maybe take a couple of other subjects you enjoy but aren't as sciencey/ mathsy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rolfe2013
i thought maths but would i really need to do two loads of maths lol?

I applied for theoretical physics this last UCAS season, I somehow got 5 offers.

I took Maths, Physics, Economics and Politics.
I dropped Economics after AS.

I really don't think Further Maths is as necessary as all of the other people say it is, I kind of regret not taking it instead of economics, but not because I think it would've helped my uni prospects, more just because I want to know more maths.

I also enjoy doing politics, and feel that my essay writing skills may help at university as I doubt there are absolutely no writing skills necessary, and there I will have a step up compared to my colleagues who haven't done essays since GCSE.

In conclusion, for A2 I'd take maths, physics and another subject which you love, I'm not saying don't do further maths - do it if you love maths, but don't consider it necessary.
Out of interest, what are you planning to do with your physics degree once you get it?
Reply 18
Original post by YThursday
I applied for theoretical physics this last UCAS season, I somehow got 5 offers.

I took Maths, Physics, Economics and Politics.
I dropped Economics after AS.

I really don't think Further Maths is as necessary as all of the other people say it is, I kind of regret not taking it instead of economics, but not because I think it would've helped my uni prospects, more just because I want to know more maths.

I also enjoy doing politics, and feel that my essay writing skills may help at university as I doubt there are absolutely no writing skills necessary, and there I will have a step up compared to my colleagues who haven't done essays since GCSE.

In conclusion, for A2 I'd take maths, physics and another subject which you love, I'm not saying don't do further maths - do it if you love maths, but don't consider it necessary.

thank you for your help i may take a subject i enjoy then to ease all this maths and physics, i will have a talk with my current maths teacher who is awesome cant rate him enough and im sure he can guide me.
Reply 19
Original post by H_Aple
Out of interest, what are you planning to do with your physics degree once you get it?

honestly i have no idea, we started doing abit of physics in my science class and loved it, ive always have a nack for science i think its because out of every subject its the one i love, i could sit there a read science books all day without fail. but yeah i ain't thought past uni yet :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest