The Student Room Group

Islamist on the bus ~ would you have just minded your own business?

Poll

What would you have done?

Interested to know what the rest of you would have done in the same situation (hence poll)

So today I caught the bus (near Kingston/Richmond - quite a multicultural area but not all that many Muslims), waded through a small army of school kids and managed to nab the last seat on the top deck. I was sitting there for a little while, not paying too much attention to those around me, when I heard someone sat behind me use the word kafir (unbeliever) once or twice, and my ears pricked. I then heard:

'Do not let the devil influence you. Insha'Allah. If you become a kafir it is the devil's work'

At which point I turned round and said: "Do you mind?"

The guy was a young, bearded Asian man of medium build wearing traditional intricate white Taqiyah and Eastern attire, his counterpart was a stocky South East Asian with a similarly pronounced beard and distinct attire, but no Taqiyah

Initially the Asian guy didn't seem too bothered by my interjection (I think he assumed I didn't know what kafir meant and that perhaps I was complaining about him talking), but then I explained to him that he was talking within earshot of plenty of 'kafir'. He remonstrated that he was having a private conversation, so I reminded him that public transport is just that.. public

He didn't back down so I told him "this is the UK, people don't go around speaking like that here"

To which he insisted that he was "English, British, a British-Muslim!"

I said, 'I'm sure you are mate, in which case you'll know that ours is a secular society. If you live in a multicultural society you need to show a certain degree of respect and sensitivity. You're surrounded by "kafir", you're talking one'

He said something like 'Do you know what, not even gonna bova' and piped down

I turned round and tried to cool down (this situation was pretty intense as you can imagine, turning to confront someone that is sitting immediately behind you). He muttered to his sidekick for a little while, I did my best not to listen and started to think perhaps it hadn't really been my business, heard a few more Insha'Allah's and then..

..eventually felt him tap me on the shoulder. He had calmed down and was clearly trying to make peace/make himself/Islam not look like 'the bad guy'. He tried to explain that he wasn't saying that all kafir are the devil, but that the devil is a kafir and that in Islam Muslims are thought of as being 'the highest level' and kafir is just a distinct group

I just let him say his piece, accepted his almost-apology, and explained that I wasn't trying to have a go at Islam per sae, and that "I would say the same thing to a Jew, a Christian, a Hindu but i'd be failing in my civic duty if I didn't say something in that situation", before turning back around. I got off the bus a few stops later but not before an asian schoolgirl who must have overheard our conversation from further back down the bus got off - she shot me a sort of deep, dark eyed, pensive glare as she went down the stairs

TL;DR An islamist was talking quite loudly about how non-believers are the devil's doing and I interrupted and asked him to tone it down - would you have done the same?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well had they been Christian and saying those sorts of things I would've assumed that they were just a loony and ignored them (just as if a mad cat-lady had been muttering nonsense whilst sitting behind me), so I wouldn't have said anything to him.

But if he had been deliberately obtrusive and in-your-face then I would've told him to quiet down
Reply 2
Id be pretty pissed off if someone dossed me or my way of life, and I am saying this as a Muslim myself. It makes me sick how these so called muslims judge and try to force something down your throat.

Id have probably not said anything and ignored it though.
Reply 3
Original post by abzy1234
I would have minded my own business; as is perhaps the norm for many public transport these days. At the end of the day, they clearly won't agree with you and just cause further trouble.

Reminds me when I was on a bus and a Muslim was reciting the Qur'an, clearly trying to make others aware of what he was doing; I had the good luck of sitting by him. I simply ignored him and put in my headphones :tongue:

Ignore these idiots, they're not worth your trouble :smile:

'idiots' seriously??!! please have some respect and get a life
Reply 4
Well as a young woman I would turn around and give him a dirty look, how dare he say that in public he should not try and influence other people's chooses. If he continued I would have said something probably like" Excuse but there is no need for that..."( I am quite a shy person). He would probably start talking to me in Urdu or similar about kafir, then I would have just ignored him, as I am Asian. Oh by the way, I was born into Islam but I am an Atheist so most people would just assume I am Muslim...
Reply 5
Original post by Foo.mp3
Interested to know what the rest of you would have done in the same situation (hence poll)

So today I caught the bus (near Kingston/Richmond - quite a multicultural area but not all that many Muslims), waded through a small army of school kids and managed to nab the last seat on the top deck. I was sitting there for a little while, not paying too much attention to those around me, when I heard someone sat behind me use the word kafir (unbeliever) once or twice, and my ears pricked. I then heard:

'Do not let the devil influence you. Insha'Allah. If you become a kafir it is the devil's work'

The guy was a young, bearded Asian man of medium build wearing traditional intricate white Taqiyah and Eastern attire, his counterpart was a stocky South East Asian with a similarly pronounced beard and distinct attire, but no Taqiyah

Initially the Asian guy didn't seem too bothered by my interjection (I think he assumed I didn't know what kafir meant and that perhaps I was complaining about him talking), but then I explained to him that he was talking within earshot of plenty of 'kafir'. He remonstrated that he was having a private conversation, so I reminded him that public transport is just that.. public

He didn't back down so I told him "this is the UK, people don't go around speaking like that here"

I said, 'I'm sure you are mate, in which case you'll know that ours is a secular society. If you live in a multicultural society you need to show a certain degree of respect and sensitivity. You're surrounded by "kafir", you're talking one'

I turned round and tried to cool down (this situation was pretty intense as you can imagine, turning to confront someone that is sitting immediately behind you). He muttered to his sidekick for a little while, I did my best not to listen and started to think perhaps it hadn't really been my business, heard a few more Insha'Allah's and then..

..eventually felt him tap me on the shoulder. He had calmed down and was clearly trying to make peace/make himself/Islam not look like 'the bad guy'. He tried to explain that he wasn't saying that all kafir are the devil, but that the devil is a kafir and that in Islam Muslims are thought of as being 'the highest level' and kafir is just a distinct group

I just let him say his piece, accepted his almost-apology, and explained that I wasn't trying to have a go at Islam per sae, and that "I would say the same thing to a Jew, a Christian, a Hindu but i'd be failing in my civic duty if I didn't say something in that situation", before turning back around. I got off the bus a few stops later but not before an asian schoolgirl who must have overheard our conversation from further back down the bus got off - she shot me a sort of deep, dark eyed, pensive glare as she went down the stairs

TL;DR An islamist was talking quite loudly about how non-believers are the devil's doing and I interrupted and asked him to tone it down - would you have done the same?

Why is he labelled a Islamist? He's simply being a Muslim, trying to help his friend to stay on the path :s-smilie:
Reply 6
You should have filmed him, then he'd be the latest "racist on public transport" Youtube phenomenon
Reply 7
Original post by Foo.mp3

Depends. I don't think there's a civic duty to drive religion from public life entirely. I believe in secular law but not in a world where you're not allowed wear a crucifix (or whatever else takes your fancy) in public and have to use "Holidays" instead of Christmas.

On the other hand if he was being provocative or insulting than it was probably within your discretion to challenge him on it.

I don't get how this got you worked up, surely the majority of religious people think that some evil being is behind making disobedient to their God/Gods and following something else.
You overreacted in my opinion, I mean he wasn't even saying it to you.
I would have done exactly the same. Good on you. I'm sorry, but in a secular society, it isn't acceptable to talk like that. I'd say exactly the same to any Christian, Jew, Hindu or anyone else who was doing the same.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by maya123
'idiots' seriously??!! please have some respect and get a life

Why should I have respect for someone who is preaching that I will suffer eternal hellfire and torture for simply not accepting a religious doctrine? Worse still, there are mothers with children on public transport, who do not need their children listening to such hateful ideologies.

I respect religion, but I do not respect someone trying to assert their beliefs on public without consent. You know what, I have a life; and it's better for our society that the "religious" get a life more so.
Reply 11
Original post by Lakesx
Well as a young woman I would turn around and give him a dirty look, how dare he say that in public he should not try and influence other people's chooses. If he continued I would have said something probably like" Excuse but there is no need for that..."( I am quite a shy person). He would probably start talking to me in Urdu or similar about kafir, then I would have just ignored him, as I am Asian. Oh by the way, I was born into Islam but I am an Atheist so most people would just assume I am Muslim...

Exactly! Lucky I was born Asian as well, so I can get away with such zealous people :tongue:
Reply 12
Funny cos in islam people shouldn't be judges nor throwing around the term non-believer. Specially out of context. What a twat

i'm a muslim myself but would of just put my headphones in, would of had them in already haha
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
I would have done exactly the same. Good on you. I'm sorry, but in a sexular society, it isn't acceptable to talk like that. I'd say exactly the same to any Christian, Jew, Hindu or anyone else who was doing the same.

I like the sound of that society :sexface:

I think you were quite restrained tbh OP, I'd have been far more forthright than that.
You've got too much time if you're caring about what a randomer says on the bus. There are nearly eight million people in London.
Reply 15
I would have done exactly the same. Good on you. I'm sorry, but in a sexular society, it isn't acceptable to talk like that. I'd say exactly the same to any Christian, Jew, Hindu or anyone else who was doing the same.

A Sexular Society.

Sounds like a Pope's nightmare.
Reply 16
I'm confused - is "Kafir" a particularly insulting word? I wouldn't mind being called a "non-believer", and would just ignore them if they said that being a "non-believer" is the devils work. By the very nature of atheism, we don't even believe in the devil, so it's as insulting as saying humans where gods creation :tongue:
Original post by Foo.mp3
in Islam Muslims are thought of as being 'the highest level' and kafir is just a distinct group

This is one of my biggest problems with Abrahmaic religions. I remember seeing someone else write, theres little difference between a master religion and a master race, and its a saying I fully agree with.
Reply 18
Original post by Foo.mp3

Lol I don't see why you are getting so emotional about this. You ARE a kaafir. Kaafir is a word used to refer to non-Muslims. My cousin is a kaafir, its not necessarily an insult.

Anyway, I do not see how the context he used it in is offensive. He didn't say anything along the lines of ''dirty kaafirs' etc, he was just advising his friend to stay on the right path so he does not become a kaafir which would be the ultimate failure of this test.

I am pretty sure practising Christians advice one another to worship Jesus regularly so they do not apostate from Christianity which would mean they failed the test and would enter Hell (according to their beliefs)
(edited 11 years ago)

Horny, yes?

Quick Reply

Latest