The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MatureStudent36
Ive seen a definite increase and the stats back it up,but I wouldn't go as far as saying its rife unless he's been on the receiving end if it. And it's hard to define rife.

nationslism breeds mistrust and resentment. Combine that with a depressed economy and you're onto a loser. History shows us that.

If I'm right MS you live in Edinburgh. There and in central Glasgow you're less likely to find Anglophobes because these places have more English based there. It's when you go into places like Fife and beyond, or even just mid Lothian, that it changes.

If you did a national poll asking 'Are English people arrogant?', it would return more than half saying yes.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Maths Tutor
As you couldn't substantiate your claim about English MPs / Salmond, you have now turned it into a matter of Scottish MPs / English tuition fees.

Let me point out to you: It was Scottish MPs of the anti-Independence Axis that voted for English tuition fees. As you know SNP MPs DO NOT VOTE on English matters.

If you read back I have indeed praised the SNP specifically for their voting stance in Westminster.

Original post by Midlander
If I'm right MS you live in Edinburgh. There and in central Glasgow you're less likely to find Anglophobes because these places have more English based there. It's when you go into places like Fife and beyond, or even just mid Lothian, that it changes.

If you did a national poll asking 'Are English people arrogant?', it would return more than half saying yes.

M
idlander. There's mongs everywhere . My concern is it seems to be on a slight increase here. I don't know if its navel gazing due to the economy or a by product
M
idlander. There's mongs everywhere . My concern is it seems to be on a slight increase here. I don't know if its navel gazing due to the economy or a by product

It doesn't seem to be anything new where I am-at least, my girlfriend from Aberdeenshire doesn't think it is where she is either.
It doesn't seem to be anything new where I am-at least, my girlfriend from Aberdeenshire doesn't think it is where she is either.

http://m.localgov.co.uk/Article/Default.aspx?id=109214
A lot of cities in England are being devolved more power from central government (including my own)-announced by Clegg very recently.
A lot of cities in England are being devolved more power from central government (including my own)-announced by Clegg very recently.

I know. Wouldn't it be nice if everybody though out the uk had the same democratic representation? Although I still think it would be farer to have it broken up in line of population sizes of say 5 million. Not too sure about city's as its just strengthening councils. Although I'd have been happier to have seen that in the first place.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1287
I know. Wouldn't it be nice if everybody though out the uk had the same democratic representation? Although I still think it would be farer to have it broken up in line of population sizes of say 5 million. Not too sure about city's as its just strengthening councils. Although I'd have been happier to have seen that in the first place.

The EU election regions would be a good starting point for creating English regional assemblies. The problem is getting support for the idea. Most of those regions have little cultural significance, and generally English people aren't too keen on dividing England in that way (yes there are English nationalists, who are probably more irritating than Scottish and Welsh ones).

Another option is to just have 3 regions in England, North, South and London. That way at least no one region/country would have an overall majority even if North and South England are much bigger than the rest. The border between North and South would be controversial wherever you put it though.
Original post by Psyk
The EU election regions would be a good starting point for creating English regional assemblies. The problem is getting support for the idea. Most of those regions have little cultural significance, and generally English people aren't too keen on dividing England in that way (yes there are English nationalists, who are probably more irritating than Scottish and Welsh ones).

Another option is to just have 3 regions in England, North, South and London. That way at least no one region/country would have an overall majority even if North and South England are much bigger than the rest. The border between North and South would be controversial wherever you put it though.

I'm astounded that someone from Leamington has ignored the existence of the Midlands.
Reply 1289
I'm astounded that someone from Leamington has ignored the existence of the Midlands.

Yeah that's because I'm not from Leamington, I just live here (here in the North that is :tongue:).

Obviously I'm actually a southerner.
Original post by Psyk
Yeah that's because I'm not from Leamington, I just live here (here in the North that is :tongue:).

This makes more sense :tongue:
Original post by Psyk

What? You from the borders? :0
Original post by Ritter
He's talking utter utter ****e. Wonder how often he visits Scotland?

He says he is studying in Scotland but his comment "Anglophobia is rife in Scotland" is most certainly not true.
He says he is studying in Scotland but his comment "Anglophobia is rife in Scotland" is most certainly not true.

I went over this a few weeks back as there was quite a lot in the media. It would appear that our friends at newsnetscotland have been furiously replacing keywords on their website for search engine optimisation to make their website come up all over the first page denouncing the claim as untrue.

However.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglophobia
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1786002
http://news.stv.tv/scotland/227562-racism-on-the-increase-in-scotland/

However this ones the best as it summarises everything.

http://www.cjscotland.co.uk/2012/12/racist-incidents-recorded-by-the-police-in-scotland-statistics-200910-published/

So yes. It is on the rise.

Now the question is whether or not it's unemployed Neds letting off frustration as they can't get a job, or that it's a simple case of that sh1t like this goes hand in hand with nationalism is a different question. After all, being told that you're being hard done by the Westminster ( read the English) isn't going to be helpful.

I have however noticed a gradual increase over the years. But I can't tell if its rife or still at acceptable numbers. As I say though. I don't mind a bit of banter but kicking seven shades of sh1te out of somebody isn't banter.
Reply 1294
Original post by Psyk

England will always have a bigger say in UK elections- however many regions you want to split it up into

Don't forget Labour offered a North East referendum but they said NO!

An England government would probably get a yes vote
Believe it or not those quotes came from an ardent supporter of the 'anti Independence Axis' in a conversation about the then upcoming 6 Nations.

even unionist Scots I know still say outrageous things like all English people should be ashamed of murdering Scots in the 14th century.

Anglophobia is rife in Scotland and the SNP is of course playing on those sentiments for its own agenda.

IF "Anglophobia is rife in Scotland" and "even unionist Scots I know still say outrageous things", you are wrong to try to put the blame on the SNP and the Campaign for Independence.
Reply 1296

you need to listen to Salmond ranting more carefuly!
More to the point this is in St Andrews, a place with a higher % of English people than most others in Scotland.

If you are talking about the situation at St Andrews, then this is not at all representative of Scotland as a whole and in no way could you extrapolate that as "Anglophobia is rife in Scotland".

It might well be due to certain elements in the "higher % of English people" at St Andrews, the Scots at St Andrews have, like you, made an extrapolation (in the opposite direction): "typical English arrogance".
It's contradictory to keep the perks of union when shunning a 300 year union for no reason other than spite.

If after 300 years of union, the English believe that "Anglophobia is rife in Scotland" and the Scots hate "typical English arrogance", then surely it is time to end the union?

How could you possibly argue for the union while believing "Anglophobia is rife in Scotland"?
IF "Anglophobia is rife in Scotland" and "even unionist Scots I know still say outrageous things", you are wrong to try to put the blame on the SNP and the Campaign for Independence.

Because it's always been there, and always will be. I think its just that the SNP are stirring up stuff a little by portraying us as victims.

Latest

Trending

Trending