The Student Room Group

AS Level Sociology?

Hello:smile:
I am currently choosing my AS levels, which, at the moment, are geography, biology, English lterature and history. However, I am also really interested in Sociology, so dont know whether I should drop one of my subjects for that.
For anyone who studies or has studies AS level sociology, please can you tell me what you think of the course? Also, would I be able to study it at university without studying it at college or sxth form? And lastly, is it considered a 'soft' option by universities? What jobs is it useful for and what could it leadto?
Sorry for all the questions but I would be soooooo grateful for any advice!
Thank you :smile:
All your subjects you have picked are facilitating so one soft option won't be looked down on. Do Sociology if you are really interested it in, I'd drop Biology as there's no point in taking 1 science, you cannot do anything with it.
Original post by hemalgangani
All your subjects you have picked are facilitating so one soft option won't be looked down on. Do Sociology if you are really interested it in, I'd drop Biology as there's no point in taking 1 science, you cannot do anything with it.

Thank you for the advice- would biology be useful if combined with Geography? Or for nursing? I have seen that some universities may accept me for environmental courses/marine biology courses if I have biology plus 'one other science'- so dot ehy class Geography as a science?
Thank you
Reply 3
Original post by ChocolateAngel
Thank you for the advice- would biology be useful if combined with Geography? Or for nursing? I have seen that some universities may accept me for environmental courses/marine biology courses if I have biology plus 'one other science'- so dot ehy class Geography as a science?
Thank you

Sometimes it can be. If you're thinking about doing a science degree, take two science A-levels. Generally those include Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and sometimes Geography/Sociology depending on the University. I'd recommend searching for courses and contact the relevant admissions offices for further information.

Nothing is stopping you from taking Sociology if you want to. I wouldn't worry to much unless you're planning on applying to the 'top' universities where subject choice is important. In your position, I would take Bio and another science, Chemistry for example, Sociology and then a fourth humanities subject to drop after AS. So at A2 you'll have two very strong subjects and one not so much, but many if not most universities will not penalise you for that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending