The Student Room Group

What to do now? AS exams?

Guys what should I do..is it worth retaking so I can be predicted between A* to A (nothing lower) for A2 my original career aspiration is Medicine but if it is not possible then I accept. But Medicine is what I want to do

I got in my AS biology exams
Biology C
Maths C
Chemistry D
Geography C
Critical thinking U

I know these are not good enough...

with GCSEs 2A* (Chemistry and RE) 6As (Maths,Biology,Physics,Geography,EnglishLit,French) and a B (English Lang)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump help me :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by AngeHiiiPower'
bump help me :frown:

Retakes if you want to get in for 2014.
Or apply for a different course and try GEM?
Reply 3
Original post by senz72
Retakes if you want to get in for 2014.
Or apply for a different course and try GEM?

Yes I do want to get in for 2014 so I should retake? all of them do you suggest?
Reply 4
Someone needs to break the news to the world at large that to do medicine you have to be pretty smart.

Biology C
Maths C
Chemistry D
Geography C
Critical thinking U

I rest my case.
Reply 5
Original post by SaraWarah
Someone needs to break the news to the world at large that to do medicine you have to be pretty smart.

Biology C
Maths C
Chemistry D
Geography C
Critical thinking U

I rest my case.

Well obviously........tbh why even bothered replying to this thread I don't know...wasn't even insightful or helpful in anyway

I rest my case.
Reply 6
anyone else?
Guys what should I do..is it worth retaking so I can be predicted between A* to A (nothing lower) for A2 my original career aspiration is Medicine but if it is not possible then I accept. But Medicine is what I want to do

I got in my AS biology exams
Biology C
Maths C
Chemistry D
Geography C
Critical thinking U

I know these are not good enough...

with GCSEs 2A* (Chemistry and RE) 6As (Maths,Biology,Physics,Geography,EnglishLit,French) and a B (English Lang)

I applied for medicine this year, and got 3/4 interviews.

At AS I got:
Biology B
Chemistry C
Physics C
RS A
Gen Studies B

Tbh most unis (if not all) don't even look at Gen Studies/Critical thinking, perhaps Lancaster do look at Gen Studies but that's it.
I dropped physics (but resat a module in Jan) so now that's up to a B. I also resat a chemistry and a biology AS paper alongside two A2 papers (one for biology and one for chemistry) and I came out with A's in all 5 of those exams. It's possible, though it'll be a lot harder for you because Jan exams have been scrapped. I'm also doing the EPQ, but there's no predicted grade for that as such.

Ps my GCSEs were 8A*s and 2As

I also persuaded my teachers for biology/chemistry to predict me A's and I was predicted an A* in RS because I got near enough 90% in both exams. I just had a bad run of exams and my teachers know I'm capable of A's/A*'s and I am in fact aiming for 2A*s and an A atm, so really it is possible as long as your teachers are behind you and give you a good reference/good predicted grades.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Are those your overall As results? or just Unit 1s?
Reply 9
Yes I do want to get in for 2014 so I should retake? all of them do you suggest?

Remember they are planned to remove January exams, this means any resits will put added pressure in the summer. Look at uni courses and see what they require. Most of UCAS course search.
Drop down to a smaller number of AS (drop crit think and geog?) and work your arse off
Just curious, why did you get those poor AS grades? And what would change if you retook the year?

People too quickly automatically assume that retaking/resitting = Moves a U to an A. When really, it just adds more pressure with your other modules/units and requires a drastic change in the way you learnt/revised the course.
Original post by Sherlockedd
I applied for medicine this year, and got 3/4 interviews.

At AS I got:
Biology B
Chemistry C
Physics C
RS A
Gen Studies B

Tbh most unis (if not all) don't even look at Gen Studies/Critical thinking, perhaps Lancaster do look at Gen Studies but that's it.
I dropped physics (but resat a module in Jan) so now that's up to a B. I also resat a chemistry and a biology AS paper alongside two A2 papers (one for biology and one for chemistry) and I came out with A's in all 5 of those exams. It's possible, though it'll be a lot harder for you because Jan exams have been scrapped. I'm also doing the EPQ, but there's no predicted grade for that as such.

Ps my GCSEs were 8A*s and 2As

I also persuaded my teachers for biology/chemistry to predict me A's and I was predicted an A* in RS because I got near enough 90% in both exams. I just had a bad run of exams and my teachers know I'm capable of A's/A*'s and I am in fact aiming for 2A*s and an A atm, so really it is possible as long as your teachers are behind you and give you a good reference/good predicted grades.

Good luck :smile:

Thank you for replying :smile:

I see what you are saying... I asked my maths teacher about A2 predictions and she said that me being predicted a b/c for this year (my school does a weird thing with being predicted based on your gcses) would probably mean that I wouldn't get predicted any higher than a b and also because of getting a c in my first exam...this is why I'm a little worried :/ I think with critical thinking I'm just going to drop it...I've missed 5/6 lessons (i can't remember)this school year already...my careers advisor said the skills were good for Ukcat and bmat but I don't its worth it when not everyone takes critical thinking yet still has to do the entrance exams....
Original post by kevsamuel
Are those your overall As results? or just Unit 1s?

These are just my unit 1s I'm in lower sixth :smile:
Original post by CodeJack
Remember they are planned to remove January exams, this means any resits will put added pressure in the summer. Look at uni courses and see what they require. Most of UCAS course search.

Yeah...I'm hoping by next year I would have worked out a good system of revision etc. and things won't be so bad...most unis don't look at modules for AS but it still really matters for predictions doesn't it?
Original post by Homeboy Hotel
Just curious, why did you get those poor AS grades? And what would change if you retook the year?

People too quickly automatically assume that retaking/resitting = Moves a U to an A. When really, it just adds more pressure with your other modules/units and requires a drastic change in the way you learnt/revised the course.

I think a number of things....i started AS off really well then, one evening in october I stayed up until 2 in the morning doing a Bio write up and I feel like it just went downhill from around that time from being at the top of my classes to crap the bottom :/

I have anaemia which is getting sorted I know it's nothing major...I've had it for 3 years barely taking my tablets...being seriously fatigued and I think with something like anaemia no one really takes it seriously I told my biology teacher about it when discussing my result she didn't really seem to understand I told her I had anaemia and she said that it isn't something that would have affected my grades I then told her I was just really tired and she was like yeah that's it?!! (I was confused at this point) (sorry if this doesn't make much sense)
I feel like I've lost control...but I also procrastinate a lot...usually when something's hard I just have a belief that I won't understand or remember it and so i'd rather do something else I know stupid excuse....I think I'm scared to try and fail anyway
I feel like i did this with my gcses I let my self down I didn't revise hard enough and I got less than I should have...
*also there were many things especially in biology that I just didn't know...I never learnt...I was off on a day to a trip and I never remembered or learnt properly the sequence of things like translation and transcription etc.
with geography I got As and Bs in my mocks so that was a bit of a shock but I didn't revise as much because I thought more should be spent on subjects that I wasn't doing as well in....I've done that before at gcse as well (wont be doing that anymore)

If I retook a year....I would plan better..spend more time in the library and do my homework straight away and of course more past papers

I think the thing is I feel like everyone around me has such a high expectation of me...my teachers tell me that I should have got better than what I did...I think I should have got better but I didn't...I left my revision too late bad habit from previous years :colondollar:

Overall negative thinking :angry: with bits of realism

Sorry if this is rambly or irrelevant :colondollar:
Reply 16
Yeah...I'm hoping by next year I would have worked out a good system of revision etc. and things won't be so bad...most unis don't look at modules for AS but it still really matters for predictions doesn't it?

Your uni application is based off predictions which are based off your AS grades, so its best to get all modules as high as possible.
Original post by CodeJack
Your uni application is based off predictions which are based off your AS grades, so its best to get all modules as high as possible.

Yeah that was my feeling....right now I want to focus on getting the best grades that I can achieve and work things out from there
Thank you for replying :smile:

I see what you are saying... I asked my maths teacher about A2 predictions and she said that me being predicted a b/c for this year (my school does a weird thing with being predicted based on your gcses) would probably mean that I wouldn't get predicted any higher than a b and also because of getting a c in my first exam...this is why I'm a little worried :/ I think with critical thinking I'm just going to drop it...I've missed 5/6 lessons (i can't remember)this school year already...my careers advisor said the skills were good for Ukcat and bmat but I don't its worth it when not everyone takes critical thinking yet still has to do the entrance exams....

Yeah I mean the UKCAT isn't so bad, and you had quite a few ASs there so that's probably a wise move. You can always take a gap year and apply after you get your A2s though :smile:
Original post by Sherlockedd
Yeah I mean the UKCAT isn't so bad, and you had quite a few ASs there so that's probably a wise move. You can always take a gap year and apply after you get your A2s though :smile:

Thank you for your help...I don't think I would want to take a gap year but I'm not completely ruling it out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest