The Student Room Group

Economic A-Level

What's Economics A-Level like? Would you recommend taking it? Thinking of changing my options from Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History to Biology, Chemistry, History and Economics.
(edited 11 years ago)
No idea what A-Level Economics is like but I studied it for two years as part of an HND up here in Scotland. I'd say go for it - it's excellent. It's fairly straight forward and although it's a little technical at some points, it's not boring so it's easy to remain focused.
I'm in Year 13 doing A2 economics and I highly recommend it.

Economics is split into two units: Macro (whole economy) and Micro (individual markets, countries etc). I find it really interesting/insightful, you learn about different markets/how governments intervene and fail, whilst learning about the trade-offs between decisions taken by government and the effect this has on their objectives.

Personally, I find it really interesting because its deeply relevant to whats in the news all the time, plus it compliments Maths/History in some ways - so overall, I'd recommend it.

I got 90 in both AS units and did Economics on the AQA examboard so if you have any questions drop me a message!
Original post by Homeboy Hotel
I'm in Year 13 doing A2 economics and I highly recommend it.

Economics is split into two units: Macro (whole economy) and Micro (individual markets, countries etc). I find it really interesting/insightful, you learn about different markets/how governments intervene and fail, whilst learning about the trade-offs between decisions taken by government and the effect this has on their objectives.

Personally, I find it really interesting because its deeply relevant to whats in the news all the time, plus it compliments Maths/History in some ways - so overall, I'd recommend it.

I got 90 in both AS units and did Economics on the AQA examboard so if you have any questions drop me a message!

hey! i do economics and im in year 12 and i really need help on unit 2! on fiscal and monetary policy! i have been looking at past papers and it seems that those two polices always come out and i need to know it. your help will be much apprepriated thanks :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by hemalgangani
What's Economics A-Level like? Would you recommend taking it? Thinking of changing my options from Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History to Biology, Chemistry, History and Economics.

Why not Economics instead of History? :biggrin:
Maths is fun. :smile:
And I think it's more relevant when you want to end up doing science.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sickofeducation
hey! i do economics and im in year 12 and i really need help on unit 2! on fiscal and monetary policy! i have been looking at past papers and it seems that those two polices always come out and i need to know it. your help will be much apprepriated thanks :smile:

Fiscal and Monetary policy? My favouriteeeeeeeeee!

No problem, drop me a private message and I'll help you out as much as I can.
Reply 6
I'm retaking my A2 Economucs Unit 3 exam - I really dislike this unit but I need an B/A in it to get an A overall - could you give any advice or tips on how to study, which main areas to focus on, revision tips/strategies etc?

Thank youu !
Original post by corrblimeyy
I'm retaking my A2 Economucs Unit 3 exam - I really dislike this unit but I need an B/A in it to get an A overall - could you give any advice or tips on how to study, which main areas to focus on, revision tips/strategies etc?

Thank youu !

I got a solid A in Unit 3, and tbh I found it the most interesting. :rolleyes:

I read the textbook and made notes on the chapters.
- Then I drew EVERY relevant diagram on a couple pages
- I made a spider diagram for the different types of markets

Some advice for Markets:
- Make sure for each type of market (perfect competition, monopoly, oligopoly, contestable) that you can give a solid definition, explain some assumptions of each market and the relevant diagrams to use is exams
-If you know the assumptions and can analyse/evaluate why they are flawed then that gives you good step in your high A grade evaluation markets

e.g - Perfect Competition assumes perfect knowledge and barries to entry and exit, yet its clear that is not accurate, there is imperfect knowledge and its hard to exit a market due to notable SUNK costs

PM me for more help, if needed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending