The Student Room Group

Any other Mature Students going to Bristol this Oct?

Hi,

I was wondering if there is any other old farts out there that will be going to studying at Bristol this October 2013?

If so, what will you be studying.

I'm in my early 30's and will be studying BSc Social Policy.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, although I wouldnt class myself as an old fart, I will be going to bristol this October as a mature student(26 years) I'm going to be studying Vet nursing and bioveterinary science. Are you local to bristol or are you going to be moving there?
Reply 2
Hi,

Haa...your defiantly not an 'old Fart'. It's just a turn of phrase I quite like.

Wow, interesting subject, congrats on getting in, I hear its a competitive one.

Yup, I'll be upping sticks and moving to Bristol from London.

How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
A young fart. Thank you, pleased with the offer.

Yes I am upping sticks from the Isle of Wight! Are you going into halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I *might* be going there in 2015! I'll be nearly 26 then so any experiences or thoughts once you're there would be really helpful. I had a horrible experience at another uni this year so I want to be REALLY careful this time, but you just don't know until you get there. I think Bristol is my preferred choice at this point in time though. Good luck.
Reply 5
Yeah I should be going (as long as I meet the conditions of my offer) in Oct too, although a mature student by definition i will be 25 in my first year :smile:

I will be studying Physics MSci 4 year course. I only live 15-20 miles away from Bristol so will most likely commute by train everyday.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by threehalvesDani
A young fart. Thank you, pleased with the offer.

Yes I am upping sticks from the Isle of Wight! Are you going into halls?

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Young Fart" That sounds loads better! I love the Isle of White, had loads of biking holidays on the Isle.

Not sure about Halls, leaning towards the Uni owned houses. Seen a lot more independent, and hopefully for that reason, more Mature Students will be resident.

U?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blake.S
"Young Fart" That sounds loads better! I love the Isle of White, had loads of biking holidays on the Isle.

Not sure about Halls, leaning towards the Uni owned houses. Seen a lot more independent, and hopefully for that reason, more Mature Students will be resident.

U?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I have spoken to a few grads/mates and they have said that, despite being older, they think I would get on well in halls. I think halls appeal to me more.
I am also looking at applying for senior residency, along with many other things, I find the possibility of reduced accom rates very appealing.

Are you in education now, I am currently doing the access course, how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'll be starting Politics & International Relations at the ripe old age of 23 this October. I emailed the uni regarding accommodation and asked if they thought I should apply for Postgrad or Undergrad accommodation, because I've been told we can apply for either. The mature students advisor suggested that she might try to organise a flat for the undergrad mature students as apparently a few mature students emailed her with similar questions. Not sure if it'll actually happen, but could be good!
I am hopefully going to be studying an MEng in Engineering Maths in October 2013. I really don't know what to do about accommodation! I am not keen on Halls as I am too used to my double bed!
Reply 10
Original post by threehalvesDani
Well I have spoken to a few grads/mates and they have said that, despite being older, they think I would get on well in halls. I think halls appeal to me more.
I am also looking at applying for senior residency, along with many other things, I find the possibility of reduced accom rates very appealing.

Are you in education now, I am currently doing the access course, how about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was thinking about SR position also. I am in education, I'm on a Access course. Just trying to get it all rapped up at the min.
Reply 11
Original post by leggins.lost.box
I am hopefully going to be studying an MEng in Engineering Maths in October 2013. I really don't know what to do about accommodation! I am not keen on Halls as I am too used to my double bed!

Did you do an Access to Higher Education course? Just asking because I'm starting one this September and Bristol is my #1 choice.
Reply 12
So do people know which accommodation they'll be applying for yet? I've now been told by the accommodation office that we can't apply to postgrad accommodation, although they did say that any mature undergrads who apply to the same residence and ask to be placed with other mature students, they will try to accommodate that. I'm going to apply to Richmond Terrace first and Woodland Court as my backup, anyone else considering those?
Reply 13
Hey SZivan,

Not sure what to do re: accommodation, maybe one of the student houses, as I hear that is where a lot of mature students apply as it is very independent living. I wonder if the Mature Student advisor will do anything like you mention in your previous message.
Reply 14
Original post by Blake.S
I wonder if the Mature Student advisor will do anything like you mention in your previous message.

Seems like not, only if they specifically apply to the same accommodation and ask to be placed with other mature students. I wonder if she'll send an email to all the incoming mature students telling them that though, as I only know because I emailed her.
Reply 15
Original post by SZivan
Seems like not, only if they specifically apply to the same accommodation and ask to be placed with other mature students. I wonder if she'll send an email to all the incoming mature students telling them that though, as I only know because I emailed her.

I conact the Mature Student adviser last week and she just got back to me with the below responce.

"I contacted Accommodation and what they've now said is that if mature students apply for either Woodland Court or Unite House, they will house you with other matures. Woodland Court also has postgrads and is pretty quiet so might be a good option? "

Looks like these two are the best options.
Reply 16
Ok, thats really interesting, in that case if others are doing it, I'll switch and make Woodland Court my first choice. Its not absolutely vital to me, but if the option is there I'd rather be with other mature undergrads. If you look at the accommodation thread on the Bristol subforum, there doesn't seem to be much love for Unite House.
Reply 17
Original post by SZivan
Ok, thats really interesting, in that case if others are doing it, I'll switch and make Woodland Court my first choice. Its not absolutely vital to me, but if the option is there I'd rather be with other mature undergrads. If you look at the accommodation thread on the Bristol subforum, there doesn't seem to be much love for Unite House.

I have actually exchanged a few more emails with her this morning, she is in the process of putting together a Mature Student Newsletter that she is going to email to all Mature students, she is trying to get some information together that will make the accommodation application for mature students much easier and give us the ability to communicate with each other in regards to selecting accommodation with other mature students. She hopes to get it to us on Thursday this week, so fingers crossed she may have a few ideas/options.
Reply 18
I'm going at the age of 40! Now that is mature. Will be starting with the midwifery foundation and then on to the degree course, classed as a 4 year course.
Reply 19
Original post by Kellypsa1
I'm going at the age of 40! Now that is mature. Will be starting with the midwifery foundation and then on to the degree course, classed as a 4 year course.

40 is not majour mature these days. My friend has people in there 50's and 60's on his degree. Not at bristol, but still...goes to show you are never too old.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending