The Student Room Group

GCSE French Revision help/tips

Hey, I'm doing the CCEA french gcse higher tier this summer (13th May and 13th June) and was just wondering, what are some good tips on studying french? Without revision so far, I've been getting around an A in the mocks and past papers we've been doing but I don't want to neglect the subject and not give it any revision time, so any tips on how to revise it (other than past papers) would be really helpful :biggrin:

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:
Original post by Confused42
Hey, I'm doing the CCEA french gcse higher tier this summer (13th May and 13th June) and was just wondering, what are some good tips on studying french? Without revision so far, I've been getting around an A in the mocks and past papers we've been doing but I don't want to neglect the subject and not give it any revision time, so any tips on how to revise it (other than past papers) would be really helpful :biggrin:

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:

A really good way to get your grade up is to improve your accuracy in grammatical structures. I'm doing French and German IGCSEs this year and to revise grammar I'm going to make a 'Grammar Bible' for each. Basically, I'm going to write explanations and examples for all the tenses that we need to know, plus information on things like adjectival endings, how to use the negative (ne...pas/jamais/rien/que) and so on.

For vocabulary, look at your syllabus and see what the topic areas are. Then make vocabulary lists of useful vocabulary in each sections and learn them! Try and get a wide range of unusual vocabulary - this really pushes your marks up!

Good luck with the revision and your exams this summer! x
Reply 2
Original post by Peaches & Cream
A really good way to get your grade up is to improve your accuracy in grammatical structures. I'm doing French and German IGCSEs this year and to revise grammar I'm going to make a 'Grammar Bible' for each. Basically, I'm going to write explanations and examples for all the tenses that we need to know, plus information on things like adjectival endings, how to use the negative (ne...pas/jamais/rien/que) and so on.

For vocabulary, look at your syllabus and see what the topic areas are. Then make vocabulary lists of useful vocabulary in each sections and learn them! Try and get a wide range of unusual vocabulary - this really pushes your marks up!

Good luck with the revision and your exams this summer! x

Ahh, I'll start doing vocab lists and some grammar stuff, just never thought that would come in useful for a reading or listening. Thanks and good luck with your exams too! :biggrin:
Original post by Confused42
Ahh, I'll start doing vocab lists and some grammar stuff, just never thought that would come in useful for a reading or listening. Thanks and good luck with your exams too! :biggrin:

Haha, well the grammar is less helpful for listening/reading, but it is useful so that you know what tense the talking is in or the passage has been written in.

The vocab is handy just generally really.

:smile: x
I'm doing French also, and for revision I've been reading French magazines, French news websites such as 1jour1actu, LeMonde.fr etc. I've also been doing mini vocab tests every day or every other day to just practice going over old vocab and learning new vocab.

I would suggest checking out http://fr.ver-taal.com/, it's so good to practice listening and grammar!
Reply 5
Original post by CaraNicole_
I'm doing French also, and for revision I've been reading French magazines, French news websites such as 1jour1actu, LeMonde.fr etc. I've also been doing mini vocab tests every day or every other day to just practice going over old vocab and learning new vocab.

I would suggest checking out http://fr.ver-taal.com/, it's so good to practice listening and grammar!

I have tried using fr.yahoo.com but I always found myself getting distracted :P I'll check out the link now, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending