The Student Room Group

improving grades

is it possible for me to go from a 3 to a 7 in french gcse from now until april?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
I don't really have much experience with French, but I'd still say it's possible. That said, it's dependent on different factors, most importantly:

Motivation: it certainly wouldn't be easy, and you'd probably be spending many hours a week revising.

How confident you are in your other subjects: for example, if you can recall everything to do with Maths easily, that means you'd have more time to spare for your French revision and learning. If you need to split your time up more, you're naturally going to have less time for French. It's definitely worth noting that cramming everything is not a good way to go, and burnout is definitely good to steer clear of.

All in all, I'd dislike saying for sure, and it may be better to try and aim for a grade slightly below, like 6, which would be more achievable. If you're not planning to continue at A-level, it's not going to affect you that much if you get a lesser grade in it.

When getting your grades up, I'd personally recommend a few things to do, if you've not done them already.

Read the specification. You can find these on your Exam Board's website, and they're really useful! Read through the topics, and then revise specific ones at a time. It's worth noting that you don't need all the topics, too, because even if you just know a few in large detail, you can really get your grades up.

Make a timetable: plot out when you want to revise it, and make sure to leave breaks. As mentioned, spending hours a day cramming is not going to help in the long run.

Ask your teacher/friends for help: I know it's hard sometimes to ask for help, but teachers really are there to get you through your GCSEs. Try asking them where they'd recommend revising, or what you could do to improve. If you don't get on that well with them, maybe ask a friend that's good at French, for any revision tips/advice. It's all about finding your best way to learn and revise.

Sorry for the length of this! As a TL:biggrin:R, I would say it's possible, but it would take a lot of work, and unless you have a specific reason for wanting a seven, I would generally focus on maybe getting to 5s and 6s first. Motivation is definitely key :smile:
I hope this helped at least slightly! Best of luck with everything :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by {Moss}
I don't really have much experience with French, but I'd still say it's possible. That said, it's dependent on different factors, most importantly:

Motivation: it certainly wouldn't be easy, and you'd probably be spending many hours a week revising.

How confident you are in your other subjects: for example, if you can recall everything to do with Maths easily, that means you'd have more time to spare for your French revision and learning. If you need to split your time up more, you're naturally going to have less time for French. It's definitely worth noting that cramming everything is not a good way to go, and burnout is definitely good to steer clear of.

All in all, I'd dislike saying for sure, and it may be better to try and aim for a grade slightly below, like 6, which would be more achievable. If you're not planning to continue at A-level, it's not going to affect you that much if you get a lesser grade in it.

When getting your grades up, I'd personally recommend a few things to do, if you've not done them already.

Read the specification. You can find these on your Exam Board's website, and they're really useful! Read through the topics, and then revise specific ones at a time. It's worth noting that you don't need all the topics, too, because even if you just know a few in large detail, you can really get your grades up.

Make a timetable: plot out when you want to revise it, and make sure to leave breaks. As mentioned, spending hours a day cramming is not going to help in the long run.

Ask your teacher/friends for help: I know it's hard sometimes to ask for help, but teachers really are there to get you through your GCSEs. Try asking them where they'd recommend revising, or what you could do to improve. If you don't get on that well with them, maybe ask a friend that's good at French, for any revision tips/advice. It's all about finding your best way to learn and revise.

Sorry for the length of this! As a TL:biggrin:R, I would say it's possible, but it would take a lot of work, and unless you have a specific reason for wanting a seven, I would generally focus on maybe getting to 5s and 6s first. Motivation is definitely key :smile:
I hope this helped at least slightly! Best of luck with everything :biggrin:

thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest