The Student Room Group

AEA Mathematics 25/06 2013 Thread

Poll

What do you think the Distinction grade boundary is likely to be?

I was wondering who else is taking this exam in June, and is there anything anyone else is doing other than past papers to revise for it.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'll also be sitting this exam to help me get into Warwick, however I'm not too sure on what I can do to prepare for it as there are only a number of papers for this so I don't feel it would be wise to start just yet, although I may start soon. How're you finding this exam? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathsNerd1
I'll also be sitting this exam to help me get into Warwick, however I'm not too sure on what I can do to prepare for it as there are only a number of papers for this so I don't feel it would be wise to start just yet, although I may start soon. How're you finding this exam? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done a few of the papers. But for me, it really does vary a lot between papers. Because I got over 90% on one of them but then on the one I did most recently (about a week ago), I got in the high 50's :s-smilie: (and there was only a small difference in the grade boundaries). The questions are easier than STEP though :tongue:. I find myself running out of time a lot as well though which i'm not used to as I can usually finish most of the A level maths ones with half an hour or so spare.

So i've been doing STEP questions a practice as well, but other than the fact that you're doing extra maths, the question styles are too different to help me revise for it.

When do you think you will start doing the papers?
I'm sitting the AEA this june as well, to get a little extra on top of my maths/fmaths. I haven't done any papers or anything yet, I'm hoping my current knowledge of maths will get me through it :erm:
Original post by brittanna
I've done a few of the papers. But for me, it really does vary a lot between papers. Because I got over 90% on one of them but then on the one I did most recently (about a week ago), I got in the high 50's :s-smilie: (and there was only a small difference in the grade boundaries). The questions are easier than STEP though :tongue:. I find myself running out of time a lot as well though which i'm not used to as I can usually finish most of the A level maths ones with half an hour or so spare.

So i've been doing STEP questions a practice as well, but other than the fact that you're doing extra maths, the question styles are too different to help me revise for it.

When do you think you will start doing the papers?

Well I shall keep that in mind when I begin to attempt them, also I'm not use to running out of time either as I usually have about half an hour left in my other exam, just like yourself. It gives me my chances to spend 15-20 minutes on some really simple questions as I don't see them the simple way, that'll be vectors for me in C4 :tongue:

I was also doing STEP questions but have had to stop because I'm sitting the full A level of Chemistry in May-June to get my A for Warwick which would put too much pressure on myself as I'm dealing with a job too.

I'm glad the questions are easier though because on some STEP questions I was barely getting anywhere, although I don't like the fact you have no choice in the questions set as you have to attempt them all. :-/

Also I shall probably try a paper next week to see where I currently stand although I'll have to revisit some C1 and C2 techniques, mainly the series and progression chapters really.

Best of luck for this exam come June and I'm sure you'll get the Distinction you need for Warwick, hopefully I shall be there next year too :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I shall keep that in mind when I begin to attempt them, also I'm not use to running out of time either as I usually have about half an hour left in my other exam, just like yourself. It gives me my chances to spend 15-20 minutes on some really simple questions as I don't see them the simple way, that'll be vectors for me in C4 :tongue:

I was also doing STEP questions but have had to stop because I'm sitting the full A level of Chemistry in May-June to get my A for Warwick which would put too much pressure on myself as I'm dealing with a job too.

I'm glad the questions are easier though because on some STEP questions I was barely getting anywhere, although I don't like the fact you have no choice in the questions set as you have to attempt them all. :-/

Also I shall probably try a paper next week to see where I currently stand although I'll have to revisit some C1 and C2 techniques, mainly the series and progression chapters really.

Best of luck for this exam come June and I'm sure you'll get the Distinction you need for Warwick, hopefully I shall be there next year too :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate vectors as well :tongue:.

And thanks, hopefully we'll both get distinctions :tongue:. Also, good luck with chemistry! I find it difficult just revising for one module, it must be horrible having to do a whole A levels worth of chemistry exams in one sitting. Good luck!
I hate vectors as well :tongue:.

And thanks, hopefully we'll both get distinctions :tongue:. Also, good luck with chemistry! I find it difficult just revising for one module, it must be horrible having to do a whole A levels worth of chemistry exams in one sitting. Good luck!

I don't know many people that actually like vectors that much, but the fact I don't draw diagrams might be the main reason I find them the hardest.

Yeah I hope to be seeing you there in October and thanks, it's going to be very painful but hopefully worth it in the long run, already almost mastered the content for the first exam, just got past papers to do to improve my exam technique. Best of luck with the rest of your exams :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hevlar.kelmet
I'm sitting the AEA this june as well, to get a little extra on top of my maths/fmaths. I haven't done any papers or anything yet, I'm hoping my current knowledge of maths will get me through it :erm:

So do you not need this for any of your offers then?
So do you not need this for any of your offers then?

No, I've got an effectively unconditional offer from imperial, I just need to send in my certificates. I'm still taking since I put it down on my application, and I might apply for a master in maths at cambridge after I graduate.
No, I've got an effectively unconditional offer from imperial, I just need to send in my certificates. I'm still taking since I put it down on my application, and I might apply for a master in maths at cambridge after I graduate.

Well done on the imperial offer :smile:.
Well done on the imperial offer :smile:.

Cheers :biggrin:

Where are you apply out of interest?
Cheers :biggrin:

Where are you apply out of interest?

Cambridge (rejection), Imperial (Rejection), Warwick, Sussex and KCL. I've firmed Warwick and insured Kings.
Reply 12

Congrats.
Ha I can't believe someone negged you
Reply 13

Just checking that you're not taking the AEA because you somehow think Cambridge will care for Part III.

Happy to help with any questions people have if they have any queries. If you need help, you might want to check out Warwick's extended solutions but you should only look at solutions as a last resort.
Cambridge (rejection), Imperial (Rejection), Warwick, Sussex and KCL. I've firmed Warwick and insured Kings.

That's great, I hope you meet your offer, their requirements are harsh :s-smilie:

Original post by jarasta
Congrats.
Ha I can't believe someone negged you

Thanks. Some people :rolleyes:
Original post by shamika
Just checking that you're not taking the AEA because you somehow think Cambridge will care for Part III.

Happy to help with any questions people have if they have any queries. If you need help, you might want to check out Warwick's extended solutions but you should only look at solutions as a last resort.

:lol:

No, if only that were the case. I'm taking because I read it's being phased out and I'd like to show I had interest and went a little bit further in maths in case I decide to apply for the BA next year :smile:
Reply 15
That's great, I hope you meet your offer, their requirements are harsh :s-smilie:

Thanks. Some people :rolleyes:

:lol:

No, if only that were the case. I'm taking because I read it's being phased out and I'd like to show I had interest and went a little bit further in maths in case I decide to apply for the BA next year :smile:

You'll need to do STEP to get into Cambridge. AEA is nice in terms of confirming interest, but Cambridge's standards are even higher than AEA. (Having said that, there are some rather nice questions on the AEA which would stump most STEP students so it's not like the AEA is trivial!)
Original post by shamika
You'll need to do STEP to get into Cambridge. AEA is nice in terms of confirming interest, but Cambridge's standards are even higher than AEA. (Having said that, there are some rather nice questions on the AEA which would stump most STEP students so it's not like the AEA is trivial!)

I know, but if I take STEP and then decide not to apply I'll have wasted a lot of time without getting anything to show for. I've got a tonne of stress as it is with ~15 exams to sit :s-smilie:
Reply 17
I know, but if I take STEP and then decide not to apply I'll have wasted a lot of time without getting anything to show for. I've got a tonne of stress as it is with ~15 exams to sit :s-smilie:

Are you in year 12? If so, definitely agree with not taking STEP. If you're in year 13, then maybe consider it more. STEP is not just a Cambridge entrance exam anymore, it's turned into an 'extension paper' as well as for wider university entrance. Warwick, Imperial, Bath, UCL and (I think) Bristol all give out STEP offers. Oxford recommends it. So it's definitely not a waste of time.

However, the entrance date might be coming up so you might want to check quickly!
Reply 18
Hi guys do any of you know the deadline for entering the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The papers start from 2002. All the papers and mark schemes are on the Edexcel website here:
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/aea/9801/Pages/default.aspx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending