The Student Room Group

Who is your favourite British politician and why?

Personally I'm a big fan of Boris Johnson because he's pretty cool, but would be really interesting to see what everyone here thinks :biggrin:

Fire away :cool:

Scroll to see replies

Nigel Farage. Only politician now who seems to have principles and a backbone.
Reply 2
Chuka Umunna, I can see him being a great leader in 10 - 15 years time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Politicians are all robots controlled by Boris Johnson. (The only good conspiracy theory out there)
Reply 4
Peter Mandelson, a Labour party legend
Boris Johnson, cos hes a nutter :biggrin:
Reply 6
Michael Gove. said no one. ever.
Reply 7
Original post by fayemx

MacMillian 1957-63. Tory left-wing. He was a public school boy who actually understood the meaning of representing the people. all of the people.
Reply 8
They're all rather dull to be honest, but of all of them Tony Benn is definitely one of the most moral, realistic, idealistic and respectable politicians.
Reply 9
David Llyod George
Radical prime minister of the 1900's who set up the foundations of what later became our NHS.
Dragged the country out of the Victorian period. Remains severely underrated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by fayemx

I think he would be an excellent PM.
In the current climate, that's like asking me who my favourite estate agent or my favourite used car dealer is.

I don't like any of the current Govt, and New Labour/One Nation Labour/whatever sellout name they're calling themselves this week aren't much better either. Caroline Lucas is pretty cool, but she's been rather quiet which is a shame as I think the Greens have some interesting things to say.

Nigel Farage is frankly terrifying and a demagogue of the highest order, and George Galloway is a carpetbagger who preys on people's religious ignorance.

I quite liked Dr Richard Taylor. Agreed with most of his voting record too.

20th century, and considering domestic policies only:

Tories - Macmillan

Labour - Attlee, Bevan, Foot

Original post by HamidB
Peter Mandelson, a Labour party legend

On your own mate :rofl:
(edited 11 years ago)
Boris Johnson

And I'm a Labour guy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone who demonstrates a mind of their own and doesn't consistently vote the way of their party, even if I don't agree with them.
As an LSE student it will not surprise you to hear me saying: Miliband.

I'm ready to take all the negative ratings! :bricks:
Reply 15
Dennis Skinner. I don't agree with his politics all the time, but he sticks up for his constituents and his beliefs and is a model of integrity.
Original post by fayemx

I rather like Gove, actually. It's a shame that today's image-concerned culture seems to disregard this man because he appears slightly "odd". One of the politicians I respect most is Priti Patel. Historically speaking, I admire Pitt the Younger and Disraeli.
Paddy Ashdown, former Royal Marine, SBS, Mi6 officer and he speaks chinese. The guy is badass!!!
Wants to reintroduce capital punishment in a 21st century democracy? ****ing mentalist.
Michael Gove. The sheer brilliance of Gove will become obvious once the first cohort of students to be effected by his changes finish their A-levels. All of this country's youth illiteracy problems, innumeracy problems and university preparation problems will vanish completely and Gove shall be hailed as the greatest tactician in delivering effective education to have ever been Education Secretary in this country's history. Just wait and watch.

Ofcourse, tragically, like all true geniuses, he will only fully be recognized as a genius (in delivering education) after his death. I expect a statue of him will then be erected outside Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending