The Student Room Group

Do you have to declare GCSE resits when applying to uni?

I achieved 5 A*'s at A level on my first try, but my GCSEs were really bad and I retook about 5 subjects in order to get them up to B's. I was wondering, when applying to uni, do I need to declare gcse resits, and if not, will they look at my profile and somehow find out anyway? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You need to declare
Reply 2
Original post by Juno
You need to declare

Seriously?
Reply 3
Original post by raiden95
Seriously?

No, I was only joking :rolleyes:
Reply 4
You have to put when you achieved them and where, so they will probably figure it out. That's assuming you resat them whilst you were doing your a levels? I'm quite confused, or do you mean resitting modules throughout your gcse year?
Reply 5
Original post by Juno
No, I was only joking :rolleyes:

Damn it! Mine weren't great thought having no retakes would have been a bonus :colondollar:
What if you retook modules

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 7
For GCSEs you only need to put your final grade in.
For A levels you have the option of putting individual module results in; if you put one in, you have to declare them all. Some universities will specify that they want your individual module grades, in which case you have to declare them all.
Reply 8
When I was filling out my UCAS application I put down my resits for GCSE. I also phoned UCAS to confirm what I had to do, she said that if I had a certificate in a specific subject I had to declare it (e.g. I got a C in English Language at GCSE, I resat the exam and got a B). I put both down just with different dates.

I hope this makes sense, and no I don't think it disadvantaged my application. And they may not find out, but you might as well say everything - it would be a bit awkward if they found out at a later date. Also, before you pay and send, it does ask you to confirm that you've put everything down in regards to exams and grades.
Uni's will know, but the effect will be negligable as they will focus on your A-levels
Original post by CommonNortherner
I achieved 5 A*'s at A level on my first try, but my GCSEs were really bad and I retook about 5 subjects in order to get them up to B's. I was wondering, when applying to uni, do I need to declare gcse resits, and if not, will they look at my profile and somehow find out anyway? Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure they'd be impressed enough by your 5A*s at A-level! (Wow, that's awesome btw):smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Mrkingpenguin
Uni's will know, but the effect will be negligable as they will focus on your A-levels

But if you don't put them down then when they find out they can withdraw your offer
Original post by trails
When I was filling out my UCAS application I put down my resits for GCSE. I also phoned UCAS to confirm what I had to do, she said that if I had a certificate in a specific subject I had to declare it (e.g. I got a C in English Language at GCSE, I resat the exam and got a B). I put both down just with different dates.

I hope this makes sense, and no I don't think it disadvantaged my application. And they may not find out, but you might as well say everything - it would be a bit awkward if they found out at a later date. Also, before you pay and send, it does ask you to confirm that you've put everything down in regards to exams and grades.

Say for instance I did my English language exam in 2011 in my first gcse year then chose to retake it in my second gcse year do I have to put that down??

Reply 13
Original post by alexandraa
Say for instance I did my English language exam in 2011 in my first gcse year then chose to retake it in my second gcse year do I have to put that down??

Well, did you collect a certificate for it? If you did, then yes. If not then no.

Although, I would say talk to someone at UCAS who can help with this situation.
Original post by trails
Well, did you collect a certificate for it? If you did, then yes. If not then no.

Although, I would say talk to someone at UCAS who can help with this situation.

No because it was just one module :/
Ok thanks for your help :smile:

Reply 15
Original post by alexandraa
No because it was just one module :/
Ok thanks for your help :smile:

If it was one module then no, you don't. Not for GCSE anyway.
Original post by trails
If it was one module then no, you don't. Not for GCSE anyway.

Phew! Hahahaa

Original post by lucyab
You have to put when you achieved them and where, so they will probably figure it out. That's assuming you resat them whilst you were doing your a levels? I'm quite confused, or do you mean resitting modules throughout your gcse year?

I retook the exams whilst I was doing my A levels. I went from CC in English to A*A, D to B in Spanish, and C to B in Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 3mma_gal96
I'm sure they'd be impressed enough by your 5A*s at A-level! (Wow, that's awesome btw):smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by CommonNortherner
I retook the exams whilst I was doing my A levels. I went from CC in English to A*A, D to B in Spanish, and C to B in Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I think you'll have to put them in because it's a different year. Wish I could go back and do my gcse's again, they also don't reflect my a level grades, ah well. Just goes to show though gcse's don't mean anything when it comes to a levels. I don't think re sitting them will come to any disadvantage depending on where you apply. If anything it shows more determination! Well done!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending