The Student Room Group

Right options?

I'm stuck about what alevel options to pick. Im planning to do Maths in university and hopefully somewhere like Bristol, if i don't get the grades then Manchester or Liverpool.
So far I've picked; Maths, Futher Maths, Biology and English Language. I know it would be better if I picked Physics rather than English Lang but our Physics teachers are not good enough for me to get at least a B at alevel.
Have I put myself at a disadvantage by not taking Physics?
Just incase you need the GCSE grades, I've already got an A in Applications of Maths and predicted an A* in Methods of Maths, we do App of Maths in Year 10 and we do Methods of Maths this June, I have an B, six marks shy of an A in English Lang and I'm predicted an A* in Biology.
Also, would I have to drop English Lang at A2 to get a good chance if going to a uni like Bristol?
Reply 1
Original post by SamA7
I'm stuck about what alevel options to pick. Im planning to do Maths in university and hopefully somewhere like Bristol, if i don't get the grades then Manchester or Liverpool.
So far I've picked; Maths, Futher Maths, Biology and English Language. I know it would be better if I picked Physics rather than English Lang but our Physics teachers are not good enough for me to get at least a B at alevel.
Have I put myself at a disadvantage by not taking Physics?
Just incase you need the GCSE grades, I've already got an A in Applications of Maths and predicted an A* in Methods of Maths, we do App of Maths in Year 10 and we do Methods of Maths this June, I have an B, six marks shy of an A in English Lang and I'm predicted an A* in Biology.
Also, would I have to drop English Lang at A2 to get a good chance if going to a uni like Bristol?

You wouldn't have to drop it, no. Having "Bad teachers" becomes less and less of a good excuse - getting an A-Level grade is more down to how much you want it :tongue:
I don't like to seem mean, :s-smilie: but if you want to do maths at uni, you really ought to have an A* in both maths GCSEs - the A-level is a step up, especially with further maths as well, you've got a lot to cover in a short period of time.
Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest