The Student Room Group

Getting an A* in history at a level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ikz94
Just out of interest what topic did you do for your A2 exam. i'm doing A2 edexcel History and my A2 EXAM IS ON FRANCE 1786-1830 there's 4 topics on : Causes of the French revolution, Reign of Terror,Napoleon and Borboun restoration and Historiography A and B. I'm in process of making my revision notes but in terms of essays i hate writing answers for all the essays so would essay grids do? also did you sue mnemonics and stuff

Hey I'm afraid I did different topics. For my historiography, I did Irish history, and for my main exam, I did Germany from Kaiser to Fuhrer. But like I said before if you're happy you can reproduce the exam technique and essay structure, then essay plans are fine. It depends on the person at the end of the day. I mainly used sheets given by my teachers, and summary packs I found online.
Reply 21
Original post by Nandos94
I did a different exam board but I got an A* in History last year. I was Edexcel.
The way I revised history was I read through the book, or just used summary sheets provided to me by my teacher. I hated writing notes. Rather than writing essays (which would take so much time) I just looked at past exam questions and prepared essay plans.
This way I knew what vague themes I could use depending on what question came up (obviously if allowed by the sources given). I'd really pay attention to essay structure, as that can make or break your essay, regardless of whether you all the facts.
So to summarise; I read/highlighted summary sheets/the book. I made essay plans on questions that have come up, and possible questions we had to do for homework. I made sure I knew the essay structure for each question, and how to answer the question.
Any more questions, just ask/pm me.

Hi I'm doing A2 at the moment with Edexcel and I'm really struggling. I have a C at the moment but I really need a B. My teacher says its the way the essay is structured but doesn't tell me how to improve it. Do you mind explaining how you structure yours? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Rachelclamp
Oh that is helpful haha!
Yeah I find that too, I'm doing a bit of wider reading around the subject and watching a few documentaries and I do find the topic interesting but I have the same issue with essays, it just doesn't translate.

And I need it for Cambridge, Jesus College

Yes, along with all this friends, fact checking is surprisingly easy!

It is very difficult - I find it tricky to make strong, convincing links.

Wow :smile: What are you planning to study? My boyfriend went to Cambridge too, and he said all the offers are ridiculously high this year!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Gab1194
x

30 mark question, is purely own knowledge as there are no sources. Make sure you introduce your argument in the introduction, like make sure you present your argument, and list down your paragraph themes in the introduction. Define the key words, put the question into context. Also if you know the answer you're going to give, give it here, such as X was the main reason that war broke out in 1939.

Paragraph 1 - the theme in the question, use that as your first paragraph and argue the point from that theme.
Paragraph 2 - if your main argument, or answer to the question is different from the theme given in the question prompt, then this is where you'd put that theme.
Paragraph 3/4/5 - use these paragraphs to answer the rest of the question using the rest of your themes. I was told to always have 4 themes atleast, but you can still make a good argument with 3.

To conclude, reiterate your points, and state the final answer to your question.

Remember to link back to the question before and after each paragraph. So reason x is why the war started in 1939. and to finish something like, these reasons therefore show how reason x caused the our break of war in 1939.

For the 40 marker, I'm a bit more rusty on this. Just remember to get all your themes from your sources. Don't introduce any themes, only use those brought up by the sources given. Remember PEE, state your point, use the source to give evidence, and then explain it as required, in the 40 mark question use own knowledge.
Also try and cross link the sources, so for example you make a PEE from source A, and then you say source B supports source A where it states this...and make another point.
The stuff about linking to the question and introduction/conclusion should be used across all essays, regardless.

I can't really think of much else, so yeah hopefully this helps! It's been a while since I've written a history essay :smile:
Reply 24
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Yes, along with all this friends, fact checking is surprisingly easy!

It is very difficult - I find it tricky to make strong, convincing links.

Wow :smile: What are you planning to study? My boyfriend went to Cambridge too, and he said all the offers are ridiculously high this year!

I'm hoping to study history, and yeah I've heard of a few private school offers being like A*A*A, luckily my offer is only A*AA
Reply 25
30 mark question, is purely own knowledge as there are no sources. Make sure you introduce your argument in the introduction, like make sure you present your argument, and list down your paragraph themes in the introduction. Define the key words, put the question into context. Also if you know the answer you're going to give, give it here, such as X was the main reason that war broke out in 1939.

Paragraph 1 - the theme in the question, use that as your first paragraph and argue the point from that theme.
Paragraph 2 - if your main argument, or answer to the question is different from the theme given in the question prompt, then this is where you'd put that theme.
Paragraph 3/4/5 - use these paragraphs to answer the rest of the question using the rest of your themes. I was told to always have 4 themes atleast, but you can still make a good argument with 3.

To conclude, reiterate your points, and state the final answer to your question.

Remember to link back to the question before and after each paragraph. So reason x is why the war started in 1939. and to finish something like, these reasons therefore show how reason x caused the our break of war in 1939.

For the 40 marker, I'm a bit more rusty on this. Just remember to get all your themes from your sources. Don't introduce any themes, only use those brought up by the sources given. Remember PEE, state your point, use the source to give evidence, and then explain it as required, in the 40 mark question use own knowledge.
Also try and cross link the sources, so for example you make a PEE from source A, and then you say source B supports source A where it states this...and make another point.
The stuff about linking to the question and introduction/conclusion should be used across all essays, regardless.

I can't really think of much else, so yeah hopefully this helps! It's been a while since I've written a history essay :smile:

Wow! Thank you so much! I had no idea about this stuff!! This will hopefully improve my grade :biggrin:
Original post by Gab1194
Wow! Thank you so much! I had no idea about this stuff!! This will hopefully improve my grade :biggrin:

Please double check it with the mark scheme though, bare in mind I've not written an essay in a while, but I think it's largely right! :smile:
Reply 27
Please double check it with the mark scheme though, bare in mind I've not written an essay in a while, but I think it's largely right! :smile:

Well I'm going to use this structure to write an essay for my teacher, using a past paper question so I'll see what he says once he's marked it and then judge your strategy haha :smile:
I'm hoping to study history, and yeah I've heard of a few private school offers being like A*A*A, luckily my offer is only A*AA

I know a medic with an A*A*A* offer. Kind of glad I was rejected by Oxford - if I had missed my offer I'd have been even more devastated! Good luck in meeting yours :smile:

I'm doing the Britain 1918-1964 paper too and predicted an a* for a level. But, am currently doing my nut in with the coursework!
Original post by Crazy Crouton
I'm doing the Britain 1918-1964 paper too and predicted an a* for a level. But, am currently doing my nut in with the coursework!

What are you doing your coursework on? :smile:

Causes of Tudor rebellion, pretty boring but plenty to bang on about. Must've written 'debate' about a thousand times..
Original post by Tabzqt
I am also doing AQA and I am predicted an A*.
My course is the making of modern Britain 1951-2008

My exam is going to be two 45 mark essay questions, is that the same with yours?

I'm doing the making of modern Britain too eughhh

I was finding it okay but now come revision time it's SO dull having to go all the way back to the 50s and start looking at it all again.

Do you prefer breadth or depth questions? :smile:
Original post by Crazy Crouton
Causes of Tudor rebellion, pretty boring but plenty to bang on about. Must've written 'debate' about a thousand times..

I did the dominant influence on 20th century China - it could have been interesting, but the way the course was set out made it extremely dull.

Reply 34
Original post by The Wild Youth
I'm doing the making of modern Britain too eughhh

I was finding it okay but now come revision time it's SO dull having to go all the way back to the 50s and start looking at it all again.

Do you prefer breadth or depth questions? :smile:

I really liked this course tbh, very simple concepts to understand, and lots of areas for debate :smile: plus there are loads of documentaries on YouTube if you get bored of reading notes.

I don't know why everyone is calling them breadth questions :tongue: in our class we call them "synoptic" questions. Our teacher is really weird though, and we haven't actually done any synoptic practice questions or anything, so I have no idea whether I prefer them or not. I think I'd prefer the depth ones though, seems like it would be much easier to talk about one specific era tbh.
Reply 35
Also doing AQA History A2, Crisis of State in 17th Century Britain. Coursework was on Russia.
Original post by Tabzqt
I really liked this course tbh, very simple concepts to understand, and lots of areas for debate :smile: plus there are loads of documentaries on YouTube if you get bored of reading notes.

I don't know why everyone is calling them breadth questions :tongue: in our class we call them "synoptic" questions. Our teacher is really weird though, and we haven't actually done any synoptic practice questions or anything, so I have no idea whether I prefer them or not. I think I'd prefer the depth ones though, seems like it would be much easier to talk about one specific era tbh.

There's areas for debate alright :tongue:

Teehee, if I start calling them synoptic questions then I think I'd get bullied in the class :biggrin: We've just started doing them. It's quite good revision actually but our teacher's urged us to begin practicing them by including everything so we get a feel for the range of evidence we can include and OH my, does that take planning :tongue:
Reply 37
Original post by The Wild Youth
There's areas for debate alright :tongue:

Teehee, if I start calling them synoptic questions then I think I'd get bullied in the class :biggrin: We've just started doing them. It's quite good revision actually but our teacher's urged us to begin practicing them by including everything so we get a feel for the range of evidence we can include and OH my, does that take planning :tongue:

how much revision are you doing for it? and do you just make notes from a textbook or something else?
Original post by Tabzqt
how much revision are you doing for it? and do you just make notes from a textbook or something else?

To make notes I'm using the textbook, zigzag education notes, Andrew Marr's book and this other like pack of revision notes that my teacher got from somewhere. Do you have any other resources??

The way I'm revising is to make notes on practically everything then keep condensing them down until i've got a general summary sheet for each chapter. :smile: Worked in the last exams :tongue:
Reply 39
Oh that is helpful haha!
Yeah I find that too, I'm doing a bit of wider reading around the subject and watching a few documentaries and I do find the topic interesting but I have the same issue with essays, it just doesn't translate.

And I need it for Cambridge, Jesus College

I desperately need an A* for Cambridge too! Sounds like we're in the same position! Magdalene College for me though :wink: What subject are you hoping to read?

I'm doing AQA Making of Modern Britain 1951-07. Anyone else doing that? I'm finding the whole pressure of getting above 90% ridiculous! Also, in class we haven't even finished the topic yet, so I've had to teach myself Major and Blair over the holidays, which isn't ideal... What are you finding the most productive way to revise? :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending