The Student Room Group

Why do "young" people get so pissed off when they get ID'd?

Scroll to see replies

I get irritated because staff just look at your face and think 'Yep, underage', and don't take into account how you're conducting yourself, or the fact that you're buying a single bottle of wine in a week's food shopping. I have a youngish face but I'm clearly in my mid-twenties, so yeah, I get frustrated.
Reply 81
I'm 20, soon to be 21 but I admit, I do look about 16 so I always expect to get ID'd and I'm usually standing in the queue with my ID in my hand ready to show it before they even ask for it!

It doesn't bother me getting ID'd but what does annoy me is if they accuse my provisional of being fake because my picture is of me when I had a shoulder length brown hair and now I have long ginger hair. I get at a first glance it might not look like me but if you have a look for more than 3 seconds you can tell its still me, my face hasn't changed a bit. I hate when they don't believe its me in my provisional and they ask for more ID and the only other things I have is my bank card and student cards.

I'm applying for my first passport atm since I'm going away so once that comes in I will use that as my default ID.
Original post by Ice Constricter

Either that's a typo or this is a serious wtf moment.

Yeah, when it happened this exchange happened:

cashier: 'can I see your ID please?'
me: 'what? why?'
cashier: 'the checkout is asking for your ID for these chocolates'
me: 'but they're not alcoholic'
cashier: checks packet 'oh yeah, that's weird, I'll get the manager'.
me: 'don't worry, I'm 23 and I've got ID anyway which will be quicker' and then I just handed over my ID.

Caused a bit of hilarity/confusion in the shop. It turned out that they'd had two flavours of this chocolate on the same barcode. The one I was buying was strawberry flavoured but the other was brandy. Strange moment but there you go. Goes to show that you may as well always carry around ID all the time.
Reply 83
Got that off your chest? Or wanna keep going?
Reply 84
people don't tend to like it when I ID them. Mostly the reaction is "your about 12 you can't ID me" "are you even old enough to do this job" ect.

I'm 20 by the way I can't help it if I look young, and because of that I always have idea so so should they,
Reply 85
In my opinion, I think it was the sheer embarrassment of being asked to produce her ID, as well as having some form of mental issue. No normal person would flip out by being asked ID, If they didn't have something wrong upstairs. I could be totally wrong, but it's what I think.

I'm glad you dealt with it as good as you did. Some Staff even swear back as they have no self control. Good job! :smile:
On my first day on the shop floor a woman who was clearly like 40+ tried to buy alcohol at my desk (the CLOTHING department haha) and my supervisor told me to practice IDing so I did... she didn't have any ID and then the mother (who must've been like 60 or 70) said she'd buy it for her. That is also against the law in that sitch so I had to refuse her too! They were quite good about it and seemed more miffed they'd forgotten any ID rather than not being served.
I just slap 'em when they ask me for ID and walk out with the product
I once got id'd for cutlery and had no id on me. The cashier explained that it's company policy, because it has knives, etc.

I'm not too fussed about being id'd and have been told to take it as a compliment.
Reply 89
if i was being ID'd for alcohol i wouldn't mind, but being 18 and being asked for ID for a film that's a 15 is just an insult!
Reply 90
Original post by po10tial
Hi,

I work in a store and today I had a very abusive customer.

Was a girl and she became extremely abusive when I ID'd her and said that 'the owner and a younger boy (A MASSIVE LIE) had served her before and that if I call them they will confirm that she is over the legal age'.

It became obvious that she lied as soon as she said that a younger boy served her. In fact I am the youngest member of staff. When I told her that she said that the 'young boy' was shorter than me and looked 'older'. She completely contradicted her point and she swore at me in front of other customers.

Eventually she left by threatening me that she would tell the owner of the store. Won't work, because the owner's related to me and I have been working here for a year now. I'm an asset to this store.

My manager eventually came back from his lunch break and I told him the incident. Turns out, the girl is of legal age and he said that she has been abusive to other members of staff.

I don't get why she comes her when there are like 5 other shops just across the road. I for one, really hate serving very rude people. I was being polite and asked her nicely if she could provide me with ID. She failed to do just that

I also work in a shop and get so many customers who have a go at you for IDing. Mostly I get 'call the manager, I've been served before', but our policy is that we ID every single time, no matter whether we've seen it before. When I do in fact call the manager, they back me up anyway and then I stand there with a smug look on my face and say 'bye, have a good day' to the customer.
The way I look at it, I'd rather Mr X didn't get his beer/fags rather than I get in trouble for serving without ID. Also, don't want to get caught out by the mystery shopper who comes every 3/4 months.
The law is very strict with underage smoking and so on and at the same time very flawed.

Age-related smoking laws are actually very relaxed.

You can buy and smoke cigarettes at pretty much any age. The only laws on tobacco concern the sale of them, so it's only the seller that gets it in the neck.

It's an offence to try and purchase alcohol underage, to successfully purchase it, and there are laws concerning consumption; that's not true of smoking.
Reply 92
Original post by sweetestwave
Never knew that. I did try to google it, but got a lot of conflicting answers :tongue:

Can't be very strict in general, considering I've been buying energy drinks regularly since the age of 12(not usually from a local corner shop or anything either) and I didn't even know that I wasn't supposed to.

There is no age limit. I work in one of the strictest supermarket chains (won't name) who has ID on EVERYTHING! But there is absolutely nothing on energy drinks. No limits.
Original post by pricey26
There is no age limit. I work in one of the strictest supermarket chains (won't name) who has ID on EVERYTHING! But there is absolutely nothing on energy drinks. No limits.

There's certainly nothing on self checkouts - should know since most times I go I buy enough to kill me (literally. Though if I'm not mistaken there are limits on how many boxes of proplus you can buy in one go, odd.)

The most ridiculous one that I've had was when I was with my mother (clearly over 40, never mind challenge 25) was asked for ID. I assumed that they wanted mine and showed it, the cashier asked again for my mother's (probably early twenties cashier) she'd never been ID'd since her mid twenties and only has a passport and paper driving licence. The cashier then had a rant at her about how it wasn't difficult to carry a driving licence card (which she doesn't have).
I just took the wine and put it through self service.

Not fussed about being ID'd, will usually make an off the cuff 'reminds me I'm young and beautiful comment', it's always the snarky attitudes some (not all) cashiers have if you're not quick enough or have forgotten it and not realised or they're IDing you for something ridiculous that gets me.
Reply 94
Original post by WaterfrontWAR
There's certainly nothing on self checkouts - should know since most times I go I buy enough to kill me (literally. Though if I'm not mistaken there are limits on how many boxes of proplus you can buy in one go, odd.)

The most ridiculous one that I've had was when I was with my mother (clearly over 40, never mind challenge 25) was asked for ID. I assumed that they wanted mine and showed it, the cashier asked again for my mother's (probably early twenties cashier) she'd never been ID'd since her mid twenties and only has a passport and paper driving licence. The cashier then had a rant at her about how it wasn't difficult to carry a driving licence card (which she doesn't have).
I just took the wine and put it through self service.

Not fussed about being ID'd, will usually make an off the cuff 'reminds me I'm young and beautiful comment', it's always the snarky attitudes some (not all) cashiers have if you're not quick enough or have forgotten it and not realised or they're IDing you for something ridiculous that gets me.

That's ridiculous about your Mum, I wouldn't have ID's either of you if she looked about 40 and it was clearly her buying it. And I agree, I'm always really nice about it when I ID people - no point being rude!
Reply 95
Original post by pricey26

Interesting.

Why does it say on energy drink cans that its unsuitable for children and pregnant women.

Also, in a pound store I saw a sign that says you have to be 16 to buy energy drinks.

Never knew though.
Interesting.

Why does it say on energy drink cans that its unsuitable for children and pregnant women.

Also, in a pound store I saw a sign that says you have to be 16 to buy energy drinks.

Never knew though.

Been ID'd in WHSmith before for an energy drink.
Original post by annarchy.
Been ID'd in WHSmith before for an energy drink.

That's where my original story of buying it when I was 12 happened. Maybe they just liked me :tongue:
Reply 98
BTW, the customer returned today, just showed me her ID and left immediately.

I told her that there at least 6 other people working different shifts.

She was so bloody rude. I didn't assault her, or provoke her and yet she tries and proves a point.

Very contradictive girl. I don't get why this person can't go to store(s) just across the road. They sell the same cigarettes at a cheaper price.

Won't be happy to serve this customer in the near future. Will take a lot to change my mind. She was in the wrong and decided to swear and hurl abuse at me with other customers around. It's not acceptable.

I even had one customer tell the girl to learn some manners. The customer told her that she is starting **** for no reason and that our store is very friendly, reasonable and safe unlike many other shops around.

We serve our customers as quickly as we can and at the same time converse. We learn a lot from customers and take their views very seriously.

We have only had a few incidents but they only involved young people.

Personally, I saved the store their license, my criminal record and £5K, when undercover police sent a young boy to buy some cigarettes. I ID'd him and he left. The customer behind showed me his police badge and then told me that they planned an undercover transaction. They complimented me and told me to continue like this.
Some people find it insulting, especially when they meet the age requirement, and others find it a right pain and nuisance.
I work in retail myself, and the amount of crap you have to put up with people kicking off and shouting at you over the silliest of things is just part of the job i'm afraid.

In fairness, that customer was just being an idiot and kicking up a fuss, when you were only doing your job.
Just forget about her and move on! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending