The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Scroll to see replies

Original post by eggfriedrice
Surprising how so many people are applying for woodland court/Marlborough/solsbury xD is everyone made of money!? Haha.

No but the fact that I don't drink and my mum's going to force home made food on me should save enough for me to live in woodland. Also I'm rather particular about my bathrooms.
Also, you're talking about a highly ranked university that isn't in/on the edge of a major urban area. It's obviously going to have large numbers of Middle class/International students.
(edited 11 years ago)
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Student-95
Isn't it kind of like a lottery anyway seeing as the "first come first serve" comes into effect once your offer becomes an unconditional firm. Unless I'm mistaken, it will be based on when they receive your summer results as opposed to how quickly you applied today. As long as you apply before the accommodation gets removed then you're in the same boat as everyone else applying there. (Except ones who already have an unconditional offer)

Meet your offer and it becomes far less of a lottery!. It only becomes unconditional firm afterwards if you didn't meet your offer but after consideration(seeing if they could get better candidates) they decided you were still good enough to take!
Or if it's your insurance.
Original post by Rainingshame
No but the fact that I don't drink and my mum's going to force home made food on me should save enough for me to live in woodland. Also I'm rather particular about my bathrooms.
Also, you're talking about a highly ranked university that isn't in/on the edge of a major urban area. It's obviously going to have large numbers of Middle class/International students.

Even if you're not struggling with money, everyone is going to leave university head deep in debt, so tbh I could afford to live an extra year in luxury but I'd rather be just that much more relaxed about doing my best to keep my debt minimal ^^; but I guess each to their own. :tongue:
Reply 83
Is anyone applying to Polden court? It seems nice but strangely unpopular, reasons?
Original post by eggfriedrice
Even if you're not struggling with money, everyone is going to leave university head deep in debt, so tbh I could afford to live an extra year in luxury but I'd rather be just that much more relaxed about doing my best to keep my debt minimal ^^; but I guess each to their own. :tongue:

Makes me sound spoilt but my mum's also paying for accommodation.. :tongue: If westwood was en suite I'd go there so it's not a matter of luxury more that I don't really like sharing my room and until I know people my bathroom (might get someone who's disgusting).
Reply 85
Isn't it kind of like a lottery anyway seeing as the "first come first serve" comes into effect once your offer becomes an unconditional firm. Unless I'm mistaken, it will be based on when they receive your summer results as opposed to how quickly you applied today. As long as you apply before the accommodation gets removed then you're in the same boat as everyone else applying there. (Except ones who already have an unconditional offer)

True. I've asked the Accommodation Office and received the same answer :frown:
Original post by jrios
Is anyone applying to Polden court? It seems nice but strangely unpopular, reasons?

doesn't Polden have catering credit? If so, that's probably why
Reply 87

Original post by btthao
True. I've asked the Accommodation Office and received the same answer :frown:

My understanding from replies from present students is they remove it when it crosses a certain % above full. Above full to account for students who won't make their conditional offer. So if you get your application in on the first day and achieve your conditional offer you should get your first choice. It's if you don't get admitted straight and are let in later below your condition or get in on insurance that you could get shifted around.

Any seniors who know different pls correct me.
Original post by HPAG
My understanding from replies from present students is they remove it when it crosses a certain % above full. Above full to account for students who won't make their conditional offer. So if you get your application in on the first day and achieve your conditional offer you should get your first choice. It's if you don't get admitted straight and are let in later below your condition or get in on insurance that you could get shifted around.

Any seniors who know different pls correct me.

It would depend on how many people meet their offers. If they have, say, 100 rooms and 120 people applied for accommodation and all met the entry requirements then it would become like a lottery for who gets a place.

The first 100 people to have their results confirmed with whoever does the accommodation would get a room and the remaining 20 would have to be put elsewhere, even if one of them was the first person to apply for accommodation.

I was talking to a guy that applied last year and he said that he applied for accommodation within 30 minutes of it being open but because they were oversubscribed he didn't get a room since other people's offer became an unconditional firm before his. (Simply from the university receiving their results sooner)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 89
It would depend on how many people meet their offers. If they have, say, 100 rooms and 120 people applied for accommodation and all met the entry requirements then it would become like a lottery for who gets a place.

The first 100 people to have their results confirmed with whoever does the accommodation would get a room and the remaining 20 would have to be put elsewhere, even if one of them was the first person to apply for accommodation.

I was talking to a guy that applied last year and he said that he applied for accommodation within 30 minutes of it being open but because they were oversubscribed he didn't get a room since other people's offer became an unconditional firm before his. (Simply from the university receiving their results sooner)

I would imagine if there were 100 rooms they remove those halls from the available list when they receive 120 applications if they expect about 100 too meet their conditional offer. (they do take rooms of the list) But i guess they could get it wrong and find say 105 meet their offer. In which case I guess 5 would have to be given 2nd or 3rd choice.

Students doing IB for example get their results early but since UCAS gets A2 results and forwards it, I would imagine they would send all together as one database. So I wonder how the university would receive results of different students on different dates. Logically more students must have achieved their offer conditions than univ expected and he would have been one of the unlucky ones to not get his choice. Or possibly he didn't meet his conditions but was still taken. Which would happen a few days late.

Lets hope all formers gets at least their second choice of accommodation. After getting your first choice of university that should be good enough.:smile:
Reply 90
Could I please ask ... What happens on results day in August re accommodation? Once you receive your results do you then have to contact the university?
Just planning ahead :colondollar:
Thanks in advance:smile:
Reply 91
How come people don't like the catered rooms?
Also, is it advisable to live in woodland when my course's building is all the way across campus?
Reply 92
Original post by jrios
Also, is it advisable to live in woodland when my course's building is all the way across campus?

Here catered means the kitchens available to you are not supposed to be suited for making meals and in catered you pay aprox 50 a week with your rent and get a debit card topped to 55 a week to eat at university outlets. Which you can do anyways for cash, but not have the effective discount, if you lived in self catered.

That said the rooms do look good with your own little fridge in the room and Bath tub.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jrios

Also, you have to pay £50(?) a week regardless of whether or not you eat that much. I'm sure a lot of people don't spend that much on food.
Reply 94
i still have to wait for edinburgh to get back to me before i firm bath, but, does anyone know if polden is far away from the french of politics building?
Reply 95
how many people share a communal kitchen at woodland court?
Reply 96
Original post by jrios
how many people share a communal kitchen at woodland court?

Around 16.
Reply 97
Hi guys, I've received an unconditional offer from Bath for aerospace engineering, though I haven't firmed them (still deciding between Bath and Loughborough actually), I'm looking into Bath's accommodations as I'm leaning towards them.

Yesterday the accommodation department informed me that Marlborough/Solsbury are already taken off the list and Woodland is going fast, which means I'll probably won't be getting a room near the engineering block.

Just wondering, how far is Polden Court from the engineering lectures and are there many undergraduates staying there? As previously said, it doesn't seem popular - maybe for the price and the catered option..

Thanks in advance for any replies :smile:
Original post by joelwong

Just wondering, how far is Polden Court from the engineering lectures and are there many undergraduates staying there? As previously said, it doesn't seem popular - maybe for the price and the catered option..

Thanks in advance for any replies :smile:

This is a 3D map of the university: http://www.bath.ac.uk/about/pdfs/CampusMapKey.pdf

Polden Court is in the top left and the engineering departments (except chemical engineering) are on the east side. It looks like it would be quite far compared to the other accommodations but the campus isn't huge so it still wont take long to walk to lectures.

Can't answer your other question.
Reply 99
Just got in before woodland was removed

Latest