The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Malevolent
Watford v Cardiff this weekend is going to be huge. Dare i say if they beat Watford there's no way Cardiff could balls it up :tongue:

If Cardiff don't get promoted this season, then I swear that this long myth will continue. They've been trying for so long, but just like how Wigan never manage to get relegated and survive at the skin of their teeth, Cardiff contrarily bottle it at the last hurdle. You've got to feel for them and the fans, they come so close every year, play slick styled football but still stay in the championship. Beating Watford on Saturday in the promotion chasing clash will be vital; 3 points would almost seal automatic promotion (although promotion does look very likely already). They need to go up this season to end the curse and it's kind if weird cos now they have a red kit and have binned the nostalgic blue strip due to the interests of the owners. But this season could finally be the year that Cadiff go up and finally get rid if this repetitive cycle, and then of course it'll be the battle to stay in the PL.
Original post by J.Nalbandian14
If Cardiff don't get promoted this season, then I swear that this long myth will continue. They've been trying for so long, but just like how Wigan never manage to get relegated and survive at the skin of their teeth, Cardiff contrarily bottle it at the last hurdle. You've got to feel for them and the fans, they come so close every year, play slick styled football but still stay in the championship. Beating Watford on Saturday in the promotion chasing clash will be vital; 3 points would almost seal automatic promotion (although promotion does look very likely already). They need to go up this season to end the curse and it's kind if weird cos now they have a red kit and have binned the nostalgic blue strip due to the interests of the owners. But this season could finally be the year that Cadiff go up and finally get rid if this repetitive cycle, and then of course it'll be the battle to stay in the PL.

Yeah man, the if anything just for the fans. I remember the playoff game against Blackpool in that final just how dejected everyone was. Every year their there or thereabouts but seem to choke when it gets toughest. Need more of Kim Bo Kyung he looks a quality player but Malky sticks with some of the older guns in the squad.
Yeah man, the if anything just for the fans. I remember the playoff game against Blackpool in that final just how dejected everyone was. Every year their there or thereabouts but seem to choke when it gets toughest. Need more of Kim Bo Kyung he looks a quality player but Malky sticks with some of the older guns in the squad.

Gotta say I was delighted with that result - hollowhead may be a pathetic manager and an utter clown, but after the Cardiff fans came over to foxestalk to gloat, I really wanted them to have to eat their share of humble pie

The method of your semis victory (in particular the couple of stonewallers we didn't get given in the first leg) made it easier to be pleased for Blackpool as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Gotta say I was delighted with that result - hollowhead may be a pathetic manager and an utter clown, but the way youse cheated your way through the semis (3 ****ing good penalty calls not given in the first leg, including the most blatant handball I've ever seen) made me desperate to see Cardiff stay down and rot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not a Cardiff fan I just live there :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah definitely, fingers crossed!! I would preferably have Cardiff and Watford take the automatic promotion places, I have a soft spot for them. Don't really like Hull or Leicester that much, but quite intruiging how a team like Brighton are in the promotion-hunt too. Quaint league!
I'm not a Cardiff fan I just live there :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am reminded of an email sent to me from a Swansea fan which gave ten reasons why someone has lived in London too long if..., ten for Manchester, ten for Birmingham and just one for Cardiff- you have lived too long in Cardiff if.. you are still living there.
Original post by hskjlclcn
while not football league I felt it deserved a mention. Put yourself in Ebbsfleet fans shoes, those that made the journey to the game all the way up at Barrow found it was delayed till ten past nine because ebbsleets coach got stuck in traffic and finished around 11pm. I salute those who went.

Coming from Gravesend they should be used to darkness and depression!
Original post by barnetlad
I am reminded of an email sent to me from a Swansea fan which gave ten reasons why someone has lived in London too long if..., ten for Manchester, ten for Birmingham and just one for Cardiff- you have lived too long in Cardiff if.. you are still living there.

Damn straight, although I'd extend that to wales in general.

I've been to Ebbsfleet's stadium, Stonebridge Road. It's terrible, the home fans bring about a dreadful atmosphere, awful at chanting, rubbish stands, the pitch looks like a Bolivian dirt sheet and did I forget to mention that the hot dog stand didn't even have mustard or ketchup! Bad footballing experience, you never know what to expect on these away days. Also the place did indeed seem dark and depressing like you have already said, cos there was a gang fight outside an off-license store after the game. Tbh I wouldn't recommend going there to anybody and their deterioration is also reflected in their results as well. The style of play was lackluster and the fact that they sit 23rd in the conference facing likely relegation isn't too surprising. But one positive is that they are sponsored by Eurostar but that's basically it.

Also, I'm sure that there is a non-league thread too floating around.

Haha! Harsh but agreeable.
Original post by hskjlclcn
Haha! Harsh but agreeable.

Looks like we have a consensus.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Gotta say I was delighted with that result - hollowhead may be a pathetic manager and an utter clown, but after the Cardiff fans came over to foxestalk to gloat, I really wanted them to have to eat their share of humble pie

The method of your semis victory (in particular the couple of stonewallers we didn't get given in the first leg) made it easier to be pleased for Blackpool as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

A Leicester fan complaining about cheating and underhand tactics? I've seen everything.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by J.Nalbandian14

Yep really do feel sorry for them spending more money than they've got on an annual basis to sign players few others could dream of having at that level. Just like Leicester in that it beggars belief as to how they weren't promoted years ago.

They had Joe Ledley on £30k/w before he went to Celtic for goodness' sake.

Can't see Huddersfield surviving, and as a Barnsley fan, I really hope they don't. Gonna be close for relegation then. We play Huddersfield the last game of the season, and the way things are going, it'll be a massive match

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alex2424
Can't see Huddersfield surviving, and as a Barnsley fan, I really hope they don't. Gonna be close for relegation then. We play Huddersfield the last game of the season, and the way things are going, it'll be a massive match

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would be interesting to see Robins return to L1 so soon after jumping ship to leave it.

Well done to MK Dons for their result against us. I'm in Malta at the moment so it was kinda hard to keep track of what was going on, but it sounds like they scored a wonder goal against us early on and that took all of the fight out of us. I hear we took a lot of fans and were overconfident - always a mistake against MK Dons. We've got a good record against them recently so I think we might have taken it for granted. Alex (I think?) might be able to confirm that on this thread.

I still think we've got an excellent chance of going up. A lot rides on tomorrow's game against Coventry. I'll be in the Maltese national stadium watching the womens national team play Luxembourg in a world cup qualifier, then staying put to see Valletta play Mosta. Valletta are the champions but will most likely still be a lot worse than what I see in League One every week!

And it'll be really bizarre to see a match in the sun. Not used to that in England over the past... well, entire season!
Original post by Midlander
Would be interesting to see Robins return to L1 so soon after jumping ship to leave it.

Yeah same here, here's hoping for Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday to both go down, although it's ridiculously close at the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jangrafess
Well done to MK Dons for their result against us. I'm in Malta at the moment so it was kinda hard to keep track of what was going on, but it sounds like they scored a wonder goal against us early on and that took all of the fight out of us. I hear we took a lot of fans and were overconfident - always a mistake against MK Dons. We've got a good record against them recently so I think we might have taken it for granted. Alex (I think?) might be able to confirm that on this thread.

I still think we've got an excellent chance of going up. A lot rides on tomorrow's game against Coventry. I'll be in the Maltese national stadium watching the womens national team play Luxembourg in a world cup qualifier, then staying put to see Valletta play Mosta. Valletta are the champions but will most likely still be a lot worse than what I see in League One every week!

And it'll be really bizarre to see a match in the sun. Not used to that in England over the past... well, entire season!

If you can't beat us at the Ricoh you shouldn't be going up.
Original post by Alex2424
Yeah same here, here's hoping for Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday to both go down, although it's ridiculously close at the moment

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't want either of them purely because they'd be too strong to compete with next season-I'd want Barnsley and Peterborough.

Latest