The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 680
Original post by Prendah
Ferrer got to the QF in Madrid last year and he could get to the semis or even a final if the draw goes right for him. Federer wont lose 1000 points unless he withdraws. This all depends on Nadal actually lasting again this year and not burning out after the clay court season.

AM not worried about ferrer am worried about federer defending his 1000 points because nadal only gained 90 points last year so a final will give him 510 points and winning the final will give him 910 points?
Original post by ubi1
Berdych has beaten federer couple of times thats given him the belief to do it again. And as for me Nadal is still unbeaten forget 2009 RG it doesnt exist for me.Also you raised a great point if am a nadal fan why would i want a hard draw instead of easy its simple rafa owns the tournament. Secondly knocking of djoker in quarters will deduct 1200 runners up points from djokers ranking points?murray or ferrer in the semis or ferror/murray in the quarters federer/djokers in the semis theres no saying who rafa will face in the final there are 4 contenders for that are federer,ferrer,delpo,djokoker but i feel if delpo is on form he can be a threat if not he be knocked out in no time.

is this possible?
nadal vs djoker in quarters
or nadal vs ferrer in quarters and djoker in the semis
nadal vs federer in the final

That's convenient :rolleyes:

obviously nadals playing the full clay season which is MC,Barca,Madrid,Rome,RG
depending on if he wins Madrid then he gains ranking points,
after the clay season he has the gerry weber open which is 250 series so forget that. Then we have Wimbldeon if rafa can get to the final or even win against murray,delpo,djokor, then he will become world no.3 federer loses a heck of a lot of points if he doesnt win Wimbledon this year, since you get 2000 points for wining a slam, l think murray will edge past him this time if they meet.
after that nadals playing 2 hard court masters 1000 tournaments before the us open then japan 500 then another 2 hard court masters 1000 tournaments and then barclays world tour finals. So altogether theres a heck of a lot of points to gain obviously at wimbledon he will be number 5 seed but after wimbledon depending on the outcome he has the chance to to world no3 after us open murray wont stand a chance at staying world No.2.
ive done the maths nadal has to defend 90 points at madrid
THE CURRENT RANKINGS ARE :
djoker:12370 points
murray:8750 points
federer:8670
ferrer:7050
KING:6385

IF HE WINS MADRID THEN he becomes world no.4 with 7300points where as federer will lose 1000 points for not winning? then comes wimbledon if roger doesnt win he wil be world no.4 and nadal will be most likely no.3 and then after the 2 hard court masters there will be no huge gap between murray and nadal and then rafa will gain hugely at us open and take the no.2 crown and then 2 more masters and the barclays world tour finals where he can gainly immensely.

:lol:
Reply 682
So basically, Nadal will win every tournament for the rest of the year?
Reply 683
Original post by Prendah

No lol after after round 2 of wimbledon he will gain points in every tournament
Reply 684
Original post by Prendah

I don't even know how because I've never imagined needing to, but I'm considering trying to find out how to block. I mean, wow.
Reply 685
:redface:
Original post by Slumpy
I don't even know how because I've never imagined needing to, but I'm considering trying to find out how to block. I mean, wow.

:p:o
Reply 686
Original post by ubi1
obviously nadals playing the full clay season which is MC,Barca,Madrid,Rome,RG
depending on if he wins Madrid then he gains ranking points,
after the clay season he has the gerry weber open which is 250 series so forget that. Then we have Wimbldeon if rafa can get to the final or even win against murray,delpo,djokor, then he will become world no.3 federer loses a heck of a lot of points if he doesnt win Wimbledon this year, since you get 2000 points for wining a slam, l think murray will edge past him this time if they meet.
after that nadals playing 2 hard court masters 1000 tournaments before the us open then japan 500 then another 2 hard court masters 1000 tournaments and then barclays world tour finals. So altogether theres a heck of a lot of points to gain obviously at wimbledon he will be number 5 seed but after wimbledon depending on the outcome he has the chance to to world no3 after us open murray wont stand a chance at staying world No.2.
ive done the maths nadal has to defend 90 points at madrid
THE CURRENT RANKINGS ARE :
djoker:12370 points
murray:8750 points
federer:8670
ferrer:7050
KING:6385

IF HE WINS MADRID THEN he becomes world no.4 with 7300points where as federer will lose 1000 points for not winning? then comes wimbledon if roger doesnt win he wil be world no.4 and nadal will be most likely no.3 and then after the 2 hard court masters there will be no huge gap between murray and nadal and then rafa will gain hugely at us open and take the no.2 crown and then 2 more masters and the barclays world tour finals where he can gainly immensely.

I fear there is some funky maths there. If we take the main tournaments which are Monte-Carlo, Madrid, Rome and the FO then we get the following...

Djokovic is defending a F, QF, F, F
Murray is defending a QF, N/A, R3, QF (horrible, worse still you can see which surface will cost him the number 1 spot more than once over his career)
Federer is defending a N/A, W, SF, SF
Ferrer is defending a R2, QF, SF, SF
Nadal is defending a W, R3, W, W
Berdych is defending a SF, F, QF, R4
Del Potro is defending a N/A, SF, R3, QF

And to add on a few others...

Raonic is defending a R1, R2, R1, R3 (also makes his number 16 ranking more impressive)
Nikishori is defending a R3, N/A, N/A, N/A (this actually makes his number 15 ranking more impressive for me)
Tomic is defending a R2, R2, R1, R2
Hewitt is defending a N/A, N/A, N/A, R1

So in an optimistic scenario where the below win everything...

Djokovic can gain 2400 points.
Nadal can gain 910 points.
Federer can gain 1900 (excluding Monte-Carlo)

Now a scenario assuming each of the 3 reaches the SF what do they gain/lose...

Djokovic loses 1400
Nadal loses 2200
Federer loses 600 points (excludes Monte-Carlo)

Basically what the above shows is that Nadal has but one real chance to take Ferrer and is actually under more pressure to hold points, it is very likely he will go to Halle in 5th.

Federer could not only take Murray but also Djokovic in the wild scenario where Federer wins Madrid, Rome and the FO and Djokovic reaches the SF in each.

The other results essentially show that Hewitt and the 3 young guns are rubbish on clay and also that Ferrer, Murray, Del Potro and Berdych whilst not bad are inconsistent.

One thing to note is that if Raonic and Nikishori could even manage QF results in all 4 tournaments then they would be top 10 players.

Really then all results show us one common thing which is that Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are really in a league of their own in the way that they can win on all surfaces (and i'm sorry to say it Murray fans but he just doesn't make the cut on clay).

Also of note and the reason i included him is that Hewitt fell to 233 after Wimbledon and not competing the clay season however he's fit and up to 83 now, i want to see whether he can get some of that old mojo going or at least be seeded again.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 687
Original post by Rakas21
I fear there is some funky maths there. If we take the main tournaments which are Monte-Carlo, Madrid, Rome and the FO then we get the following...

Djokovic is defending a F, QF, F, F
Murray is defending a QF, N/A, R3, QF (horrible, worse still you can see which surface will cost him the number 1 spot more than once over his career)
Federer is defending a N/A, W, SF, SF
Ferrer is defending a R2, QF, SF, SF
Nadal is defending a W, R3, W, W
Berdych is defending a SF, F, QF, R4
Del Potro is defending a N/A, SF, R3, QF

And to add on a few others...

Raonic is defending a R1, R2, R1, R3 (also makes his number 16 ranking more impressive)
Nikishori is defending a R3, N/A, N/A, N/A (this actually makes his number 15 ranking more impressive for me)
Tomic is defending a R2, R2, R1, R2
Hewitt is defending a N/A, N/A, N/A, R1

So in an optimistic scenario where the below win everything...

Djokovic can gain 2400 points.
Nadal can gain 910 points.
Federer can gain 1900 (excluding Monte-Carlo)

Now a scenario assuming each of the 3 reaches the SF what do they gain/lose...

Djokovic loses 1400
Nadal loses 2200
Federer loses 600 points (excludes Monte-Carlo)

Basically what the above shows is that Nadal has but one real chance to take Ferrer and is actually under more pressure to hold points, it is very likely he will go to Halle in 5th.

Federer could not only take Murray but also Djokovic in the wild scenario where Federer wins Madrid, Rome and the FO and Djokovic reaches the SF in each.

The other results essentially show that Hewitt and the 3 young guns are rubbish on clay and also that Ferrer, Murray, Del Potro and Berdych whilst not bad are inconsistent.

One thing to note is that if Raonic and Nikishori could even manage QF results in all 4 tournaments then they would be top 10 players.

Really then all results show us one common thing which is that Djokovic, Federer and Nadal are really in a league of their own in the way that they can win on all surfaces (and i'm sorry to say it Murray fans but he just doesn't make the cut on clay).

Also of note and the reason i included him is that Hewitt fell to 233 after Wimbledon and not competing the clay season however he's fit and up to 83 now, i want to see whether he can get some of that old mojo going or at least be seeded again.

Okay i agree whats your prediction on year end ranking?
Original post by Rakas21

I didn't realise he'd missed those tournaments last year. I'm very impressed.
Reply 689
Original post by ubi1
Okay i agree whats your prediction on year end ranking?

Without any calculations like the above i think Djokovic wins, Nadal and Federer for second followed closely by Murray.

Original post by TheMagicRat
I didn't realise he'd missed those tournaments last year. I'm very impressed.

Raonic did little better and he is 16th, both even with moderate clay success would be in the top 10.
Reply 690
Federer apparently having a 7 day heavy training session in Zurich, i think he might be coming to Monte-Carlo.
Reply 691
Original post by Rakas21
Federer apparently having a 7 day heavy training session in Zurich, i think he might be coming to Monte-Carlo.

Noooo.
Nadal looks favourite for the French.
Original post by Rakas21

That's good news. If he does get a Wildcard entry into Monte Carlo, it's clear that he wants the No. 2 ranking back. Murray is defending a QF exit (180pts), so all Roger really needs to do is get into the QFs or SFs himself (I don't see Murray making it any further than that).
This would be a very clever and tactical move as he might not have to work as hard to defend last year's points in Madrid and Rome. The No. 2 spot is the ideal one to be in for Roland Garros as it always entertains the possibility of the other 3 members of the Big 4 being drawn in the other half.

Another bit of hopeful trivia that we can turn to Rakas: The last time Federer accepted a WC entry into Monte Carlo (2009), although he lost in R3, he went on to win Madrid and most importantly RG! :biggrin:
Reply 694
Original post by Krish4791
That's good news. If he does get a Wildcard entry into Monte Carlo, it's clear that he wants the No. 2 ranking back. Murray is defending a QF exit (180pts), so all Roger really needs to do is get into the QFs or SFs himself (I don't see Murray making it any further than that).
This would be a very clever and tactical move as he might not have to work as hard to defend last year's points in Madrid and Rome. The No. 2 spot is the ideal one to be in for Roland Garros as it always entertains the possibility of the other 3 members of the Big 4 being drawn in the other half.

Another bit of hopeful trivia that we can turn to Rakas: The last time Federer accepted a WC entry into Monte Carlo (2009), although he lost in R3, he went on to win Madrid and most importantly RG! :biggrin:

Indeed, he just needs to finish ahead of Murray (or better still beat him). Do we know how they will seed players given that Murray is crap here and Federer has reached the finals 3 times? Aye, i'm still hoping my wild scenario for the clay season comes off (it won't of course).

Yup, i saw that one (he won Wimbledon too).
Original post by Rakas21
Indeed, he just needs to finish ahead of Murray (or better still beat him). Do we know how they will seed players given that Murray is crap here and Federer has reached the finals 3 times? Aye, i'm still hoping my wild scenario for the clay season comes off (it won't of course).

Yup, i saw that one (he won Wimbledon too).

I think it's done based on current world rankings rather than based on past performances. Djokovic and Murray are therefore seeds 1 and 2. Nadal is currently seeded 4 despite his 8 titles, so if Roger were to enter, he would still be seeded 3 and that would push Rafa to 5 (so someone may draw him in their quarter).
Reply 696
Murray is indeed terribly inconsistent on the clay but he definitely has the ability, shown in the Rome 2011 semi against Novak on his amazing run. He's really taking the clay seriously now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Prendah
Murray is indeed terribly inconsistent on the clay but he definitely has the ability, shown in the Rome 2011 semi against Novak on his amazing run. He's really taking the clay seriously now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

He has to if he wants to be in with a chance of completing the Career GS in a few years' time. A SF appearance at RG this year is my expectation from him - Lendl probs expects a 1st RG final from him.
Reply 698
Original post by Krish4791
He has to if he wants to be in with a chance of completing the Career GS in a few years' time. A SF appearance at RG this year is my expectation from him - Lendl probs expects a 1st RG final from him.

SF depending on his draw, he has the best chance of beating Ferrer, little to no chance of beating the rest on previous results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 699
I retain the prediction that i have always made.. he will win multiple hard court slams and perhaps the WFT and he may reach world number 1 but he will never win the FO or Wimbledon.

Latest