The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE - Unit 3 (P3,B3,C3) New specification papers.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blake-inator
Why do we need ventricles though? why not just go from atrium to pulmonary artery or whatever?

I'm not too sure about this, but as far as I know the walls of the atria aren't as thick as the ventricles so they cant bear high pressures. For the blood to go from the heart to the lungs a lot of pressure is required hence the need for ventricles.
anyone up for the revision game? :smile:
Reply 462
Original post by Captain Anonymous
anyone up for the revision game? :smile:

Leggo brah!

What topic?:biggrin:
Reply 463
Original post by Blake-inator
Why do we need ventricles though? why not just go from atrium to pulmonary artery or whatever?

Well look at the heart. If it did go from the Pulmonary artery blood would flow way to fast. Also, there would be a decrease in pressure, not a good thing:colondollar: These are just my own personal theories, don't rely on it:smile:
B3/C3? choose ones? :colone:
B3. I will join aswell
B3/C3? choose ones? :colone:

B3!!
what and how is dialysis carried out?
what and how is dialysis carried out?

This is from the very top of my head as I have not revised this bit. Dialysis is the artificial removal of poisonous and excessive substances from the body, by the use of a dialysis machine.

A patient is attached to a dialysis machine, blood leaves there body and goes to the machine. In the machine it passes a membrane a, on the other side there is dialysis fluid. The dialysis fluid contains all the contents of substances such as mineral ions and water healthy blood should contain, as a result only the extra diffuses out of the blood across a concentration gradient. The filtered blood then passes back to the body.
Original post by Unknown505
This is from the very top of my head as I have not revised this bit. Dialysis is the artificial removal of poisonous and excessive substances from the body, by the use of a dialysis machine.

A patient is attached to a dialysis machine, blood leaves there body and goes to the machine. In the machine it passes a membrane a, on the other side there is dialysis fluid. The dialysis fluid contains all the contents of substances such as mineral ions and water healthy blood should contain, as a result only the extra diffuses out of the blood across a concentration gradient. The filtered blood then passes back to the body.

wow well done, wasn't expecting a detailed response like that! :eek:, brilliant well done :tongue:
Oh thanks. I got one question for you.

Why do the cells on the lining of the small intestine have lots of mitochondria?
Physics unit 1 - 98 UMS (a*)
Physics unit 2 - 83 UMS (a)
Physics ISA - 100 UMS (a*)

Posted from TSR Mobile

P1 - 81 (A) <Terrible
P2 - 88 (A)
ISA - Probably 100 (My raw mark was 49/50)

Why do the cells on the lining of the small intestine have lots of mitochondria?

Because they need energy for active transport of food.
Next question please........

to carry out active transport which requires energy, as they cannot just depend on diffusion to absorb glucose due to the fact that the difference in concentration might not always be lower outside than inside.
Next question please........

What is the difference between: glucose,glycogen and glucagon?
Original post by Minecraft27
P1 - 81 (A) <Terrible
P2 - 88 (A)
ISA - Probably 100 (My raw mark was 49/50)

well done on unit 2 and ISA, your unit 1 is good as well :tongue:.

I'm aiming for an A overall in physics so all is well :colondollar:
Ha Ha love this one. Glucose is the sugar found in your blood. Glycogen, is the insoluble glucose storage in the liver. And glucagon is the hormone secreted by the pancreas when there is a lack of glucose, to break down glycogen in to glucose.
Ha Ha love this one. Glucose is the sugar found in your blood. Glycogen, is the insoluble glucose storage in the liver. And glucagon is the hormone secreted by the pancreas when there is a lack of glucose, to break down glycogen in to glucose.

Correct, well done :tongue:
What the heck is a stent? I never understood what a stent was.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending