The Student Room Group

A Level Dutch Essay Tips

There is plenty of online information and books available for French, German and Spanish A Levels. However, my son is taking A Level Dutch as he was taught in Dutch in Belgium for six years so it should be straightforward. He needs some help with the essay ie discuss a subject which will be one of Integration, Environment or Science & Technology. I can help correct the Dutch language and grammar but we need help with the points to include in an exam on these specific subjects. Any tips? MarkedByTeachers.com does not have Dutch and the French/Spanish/German essays are much longer so not relevant.
Original post by ancora
There is plenty of online information and books available for French, German and Spanish A Levels. However, my son is taking A Level Dutch as he was taught in Dutch in Belgium for six years so it should be straightforward. He needs some help with the essay ie discuss a subject which will be one of Integration, Environment or Science & Technology. I can help correct the Dutch language and grammar but we need help with the points to include in an exam on these specific subjects. Any tips? MarkedByTeachers.com does not have Dutch and the French/Spanish/German essays are much longer so not relevant.

Hallo :smile:

I don't think there are a lot of people on TSR who happen to be familiar with A-level Dutch (just 187 A2 entries nationally last year) :redface:

However, I sat the AS+A2 exams last year and I can definitely say that for the A2 writing, the topic areas are VERY broad. And the 'integratie' questions that come up always seem
to slightly diverge from the syllabus! :s But no worries, the nature of these open ended questions will allow for plenty to be discussed (especially since they recommend you NOT to go over 450/500 words)

The questions for the Environment & Technology topic areas are generally more predictable, but they can look quite intimidating as they're also very specific and less "blagable" if you're not very familiar with the content.

Has he seen the OCR specification yet?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
So, is it necessary to have read any specific material (in other language exams you need to have read a book or watched a film)? And where can I find the spec? I find the OCR website difficult to navigate around.
Original post by RoDoFlint
So, is it necessary to have read any specific material (in other language exams you need to have read a book or watched a film)? And where can I find the spec? I find the OCR website difficult to navigate around.

Nope! Nee! For A-level Dutch there is thankfully no such requirement :biggrin:
Ehm I'm on my iPod so I can't provide a direct link but I think once you are on the OCR homepage you just have to click: qualifications - A-levels - Languages - Dutch - Specification. If my memory serves me right. :P
Reply 4
Has he seen the OCR specification yet? Yes, I have used all the resources on the site even though they are less helpful than for the GCSE. NB to RoDoFlint - Just type in Dutch A Level in the search box on the OCR site.

I'm not too worried about the essay but just wondered whether anyone has some resources they could share. My son (15) is concentrating on "Samenleving:Integratie", "Het Milieu" and possibly the science questions. He answered an excellent essay on Windturbines along the Dutch coast (2012) even though we had not prepared that subject. Thankfully they covered environmental matters in detail when he was in Belgian school. I have compiled a list of key vocab and found some sites on environmental essays in general although this one is only max 400 words so it is difficult to say much in such a short length.

May I ask what result you achieved in your AS + A2 last year thatittootoo? My son achieved A* in the GCSE last year and is scoring A-C on the sections of past papers at the moment so there is room for improvement. As so often happens, he gets carried away with answering and either gives too much information or does not answer correctly.

I might even enter for the A Level myself.
:wink:
Original post by ancora
Has he seen the OCR specification yet? Yes, I have used all the resources on the site even though they are less helpful than for the GCSE. NB to RoDoFlint - Just type in Dutch A Level in the search box on the OCR site.

I'm not too worried about the essay but just wondered whether anyone has some resources they could share. My son (15) is concentrating on "Samenleving:Integratie", "Het Milieu" and possibly the science questions. He answered an excellent essay on Windturbines along the Dutch coast (2012) even though we had not prepared that subject. Thankfully they covered environmental matters in detail when he was in Belgian school. I have compiled a list of key vocab and found some sites on environmental essays in general although this one is only max 400 words so it is difficult to say much in such a short length.

May I ask what result you achieved in your AS + A2 last year thatittootoo? My son achieved A* in the GCSE last year and is scoring A-C on the sections of past papers at the moment so there is room for improvement. As so often happens, he gets carried away with answering and either gives too much information or does not answer correctly.

I might even enter for the A Level myself.
:wink:

Dat is geweldig allemaal!
For A-level Dutch, I got a high B. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending