The Student Room Group

Is Sharia Law vs British Law - Which is more moral?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by SexyNerd
the definition of evil is "to be profoundly immoral", but how can there be evil without an objective moral truth, and how can there be an objective moral truth without god.... but no, this is not my ontological argument.

Morality isn't defined by belief in a god.
Reply 81
Original post by Skip_Snip
Morality isn't defined by belief in a god.

without God, there is no such thing as objective morality/ a moral standard.

Im my opinion morality is subjective. You are arguing on the basis of your opinion that morality is objective.
Reply 83

Definition of morality:

Noun

Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.
Behavior as it is affected by the observation of these principles.

No mention of gods, just knowing about right and wrong.
Definition of morality:

Please don't ponder over semantics, just consult a dictionary.
What a ridiculous poll.
Reply 86
Original post by Thriftworks
Im my opinion morality is subjective. You are arguing on the basis of your opinion that morality is objective.

so to murder a baby isn't wrong unless you think it is? so if you changed your opinion (thats if you already think its wrong), you would murder a baby?
Reply 87
Definition of morality:

without god, there are no objective morals, just your opinion, so if you decided to murder a baby, because in your opinion, its okay to, you would.
without god, there are no objective morals, just your opinion, so if you decided to murder a baby, because in your opinion, its okay to, you would.

Whether or not one acts upon their own morality is subject to a range of other factors, what i am saying is that even if you are arguing that there is an inherent objective morality it can be easily swayed by environment etc. For example if I grew up in Hitler's Germany my actions towards say those of colored complexions would likely to be radically different ( my sense of morality would also be different of course).
Reply 89
Original post by EMassey
The dictionary definition of morals does not mention religion/God or anything like that.

From the Merriam-Webster - The Free Dictionary.

Link

when did i say it did, i said that there is NO OBJECTIVE morality without God.
Reply 90
Original post by Thriftworks

Whether or not one acts upon their own morality is subject to a range of other factors, what i am saying is that even if you are arguing that there is an inherent objective morality it can be easily swayed by environment etc. For example if I grew up in Hitler's Germany my actions towards say those of colored complexions would likely to be radically different ( my sense of morality would also be different of course).

so, if your environment allowed or requested you murder a baby, you would?
when did i say it did, i said that there is NO OBJECTIVE morality without God.

Does there have to be objective morality?

Who says that I, as a non-religious person, cannot be objective?

In my opinion the concept of God is imperfect and so your morality is SUBJECTIVE.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 92
Well for me its easy. I'm a Muslim I have my beliefs and will abide by sharia law. Although I live in Scotland and I am born Scottish but anyhow I have no objections to how sharia law works. But then again I would have to study it before I can create a good analysis on it. Most people here are just going with whatever they feel because they cannot give up this or that. In the end its their choice but I have got to say that majority of people are too weak in the heart and the mind to give up petty things such as pork for a cause such as religion and the laws that are enforced by it. Oh well in the end you choose what you want anyway lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A bit on Shariah Law:

2.5% Tax for muslims on yearly savings

0.5% Tax for non-muslims on yearly savings

Free power, water and shelter (i.e house)

No intrest so you pay what you owe nothing more on loans

Harsh punishments which act as deterrent so safety is assured

Only apllied to a person in public, privately (i.e. in a persons home) the person can do what ever the hell they want if they concent to it such as forncation, adultry, drugs, laws of punishment only apply if the person owns up to it or if seen commiting the crime in public places.

A bit on Mordern Capatilist law:

Freedom, whether good or bad doesn't matter as long as your "free"

Income tax from around 20%-50% of your hard earned money gone

Punishments that even criminals see as a good thing now (i.e. Boast about going to prison)

Whole economy is intrest based so someone gets a loan, he would be stuck with the intrest for years, causes money problems for people.

Laws change according to what people want so law isn't seen as something to protect the people from what is wrong but to satisfy what the people want even if it is wrong and causes problems.

I would go for Shariah
Reply 94
Original post by Member731
I'm muslim myself and I don't believe law should be based off a single religion. God gave us the freedom to choose. Making a law only off a single religion would take away that freedom. It would be unfair. If you want to be a christian, jew, atheist buddhist, sikh, practice toaism etc., then be. Whether you did right or wrong, it's all on you. The law that should be put is one that protects the individual person. Nothing more. So murder, rape, theft etc. They should stand :smile: But things like drugs and such, personally, as long as it wouldn't affect others it should be legalised. What you do to yourself should be up to. However you should have NO rights at all to hurt or force another person to change in any way.

A bit pointless, but really wanted to thumb up this post but had none left today, if anyone wouldn't mind could they please do it for me haha?
Reply 95
Original post by malikabdullah96
A bit on Shariah Law:

2.5% Tax for muslims on yearly savings

0.5% Tax for non-muslims on yearly savings

Free power, water and shelter (i.e house)

No intrest so you pay what you owe nothing more on loans

Harsh punishments which act as deterrent so safety is assured

Only apllied to a person in public, privately (i.e. in a persons home) the person can do what ever the hell they want if they concent to it such as forncation, adultry, drugs, laws of punishment only apply if the person owns up to it or if seen commiting the crime in public places.

A bit on Mordern Capatilist law:

Freedom, whether good or bad doesn't matter as long as your "free"

Income tax from around 20%-50% of your hard earned money gone

Punishments that even criminals see as a good thing now (i.e. Boast about going to prison)

Whole economy is intrest based so someone gets a loan, he would be stuck with the intrest for years, causes money problems for people.

Laws change according to what people want so law isn't seen as something to protect the people from what is wrong but to satisfy what the people want even if it is wrong and causes problems.

I would go for Shariah

Based on that the government can't afford to go for Shariah. Even with the high taxing and power prices, we're in a lot of debt. How are the people who work to give everybody electricity and gas etc, meant to make a living, or will we just give money that we don't have to them, as seeing as we're paying 0.5-2.5% tax, we can't afford to have them payed by the government.
As for people being allowed to do what ever they want in public; well that just speaks for itsel
Reply 96
Original post by EMassey
Does there have to be objective morality?

without objective morality, murdering a baby is neither wrong, nor right.

Who says that I, as a non-religious person, cannot be objective?

how can you have objective morality without God?

in my opinion the concept on God is imperfect and so your morality is SUBJECTIVE.

that desnt make sense... what we believe does not have an impact on objective truth, so your or anyone else's opinion does not have an impact on objective truth, as truth by definition is objective and exists independent of us.
(edited 11 years ago)
without objective morality, murdering a baby is neither wrong, nor right.

how can you have objective morality without God?

that desnt make sense... what we believe does not have an impact on objective truth, so your or anyone else's opinion does not have an impact on objective truth, as truth by definition is objective and exists independent of us.

Morality is personal at its core, not religious. If I deem it immoral to murder a baby, then that is that to me. As you believe your god has deemed it immoral to murder a baby, then that is that to you. I can class it as objective because that means weighing up the pros and cons basically. On one hand, I killed baby because it cried and annoyed me=noise gone, happy me; on the other hand, I killed an innocent creature that had its whole life ahead of it. Hmm...that seems like a pretty basic choice. Where the objectively comes from is completely beside the point. Anyone can be objective if they want to. It's stupid to suggest that only God can be objective.

On the contrary, what we believe is core to the "objective truth" as you put. You only believe something because you have been told it (or read something that made you think that way). Likewise someone who has a completely different approach even within the same religion has been told it at some point-making what a person think absolutely essential.

Your version of objective truth does not exist to me. You mean an all powerful unquestionable truth. I'm sorry but as I don't believe in religion this is bullsh*t. Question everything or you'll never learn. Truth is not independent of us, we can express truth or lies. No one else can. God doesn't actually have an existential form so they can't give truth either. In my opinion, you follow the beliefs of a book written by someone a long time ago that thought some stuff up. Good for you, but for me? What good is a life that is totally fixed. Live a little. I can decide for myself what is true and not true since as yet, pretty much nothing religious/spiritual can be proven.
Original post by JJMS
Based on that the government can't afford to go for Shariah. Even with the high taxing and power prices, we're in a lot of debt. How are the people who work to give everybody electricity and gas etc, meant to make a living, or will we just give money that we don't have to them, as seeing as we're paying 0.5-2.5% tax, we can't afford to have them payed by the government.
As for people being allowed to do what ever they want in public; well that just speaks for itsel

The reason we are in such debt is because of the current system it isn't able to run itself and we can clearly see that because of the debt. There is much more detail into how shariah can solve those problems, like debt and paying those who give the electricity and why the tax would work. I will do later though as I am busy at the moment and will take time, check the thread tomoro evening or so.

As for people being able to do anything they want in public, are you talking about shariah there? because thats not what i said, you can do whatever you want privately, but certain laws such as punishment for fornication and doing drugs only apply if done publicly or if the person owns up to doing them.
Reply 99
Original post by malikabdullah96
The reason we are in such debt is because of the current system it isn't able to run itself and we can clearly see that because of the debt. There is much more detail into how shariah can solve those problems, like debt and paying those who give the electricity and why the tax would work. I will do later though as I am busy at the moment and will take time, check the thread tomoro evening or so.

As for people being able to do anything they want in public, are you talking about shariah there? because thats not what i said, you can do whatever you want privately, but certain laws such as punishment for fornication and doing drugs only apply if done publicly or if the person owns up to doing them.

My apologies, I meant to say if not in public, not public.
So if I rape and murder 30 people,all in private and I don't own up, that's fine and I won't be punished??. Either you're wrong on this or Shariah is a disgusting law system.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending