The Student Room Group

Dropping A Higher

Hey, I need counsel on dropping Higher English.

I got made to take it a term late in October and never really caught up, on top of being generally bad at close reading/essays. I got no award in the prelim and prospects are not great.

I'm also doing H: maths, phy, chem, bio. Predicted As.

What are my prospects if I drop English completely? How will it look applying for uni?
Original post by AtomSmasher
Hey, I need counsel on dropping Higher English.

I got made to take it a term late in October and never really caught up, on top of being generally bad at close reading/essays. I got no award in the prelim and prospects are not great.

I'm also doing H: maths, phy, chem, bio. Predicted As.

What are my prospects if I drop English completely? How will it look applying for uni?

Lets see I'll tell you what I know, and what I recommend:

If you drop English completely you'll be applying with 4 S5 subjects. This may not look like a rigorous academic scheme, however if you meet you're predicted grades you'll be applying with what I got, and I received mostly unconditionals. You'll be fine.

If you drop to Int. 2 English (Which if you're feeling completely lost I'd recommend trying some past papers of.) you'll be fine, plus with the added benefit of a fifth subject that everyone else would have.

If you continue with Higher, you have a chance of an A/B/C, and you'll have 5 Highers. Also (Someone please confirm this) if you get an N/A, then you won't have to put the subject on your UCAS form. So you'll be fine.

Bottomline: Do what you wish, you'll be fine. However, I'd recommend sticking with English - either at Int.2 or Higher, since failing it (again confirm) means it doesn't have to be put on your UCAS form, and passing it is an extra qualification.
Reply 2
Original post by TheFOMaster

If you drop English completely you'll be applying with 4 S5 subjects. This may not look like a rigorous academic scheme, however if you meet you're predicted grades you'll be applying with what I got, and I received mostly unconditionals. You'll be fine.

If you drop to Int. 2 English (Which if you're feeling completely lost I'd recommend trying some past papers of.) you'll be fine, plus with the added benefit of a fifth subject that everyone else would have.

If you continue with Higher, you have a chance of an A/B/C, and you'll have 5 Highers. Also (Someone please confirm this) if you get an N/A, then you won't have to put the subject on your UCAS form. So you'll be fine.

Bottomline: Do what you wish, you'll be fine. However, I'd recommend sticking with English - either at Int.2 or Higher, since failing it (again confirm) means it doesn't have to be put on your UCAS form, and passing it is an extra qualification.

Dropping to int2 is pretty fruitless since I got a 1 at SG. My school wouldn't let that happen anyway.

Main reason I can see for doing it is to concrete those As in my other 4 instead of wasting time working for a N/A in English.

Could you tell me about what you applied for at uni and if they asked about why you didn't have English/a 5th sub.
Original post by AtomSmasher
Dropping to int2 is pretty fruitless since I got a 1 at SG. My school wouldn't let that happen anyway.

Main reason I can see for doing it is to concrete those As in my other 4 instead of wasting time working for a N/A in English.

Could you tell me about what you applied for at uni and if they asked about why you didn't have English/a 5th sub.

I had Int.2 English at an A, but the only thing that did was secure that I had met the faculty requirements. I applied for Chemistry (and I'm switching to Maths) at Glasgow, St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Heriot Watt, receiving unconditionals for the former 4, and a conditional from Strathclyde :smile:
Reply 4
I had Int.2 English at an A, but the only thing that did was secure that I had met the faculty requirements. I applied for Chemistry (and I'm switching to Maths) at Glasgow, St. Andrews, Edinburgh and Heriot Watt, receiving unconditionals for the former 4, and a conditional from Strathclyde :smile:

Thanks a lot, I should be fine. I might take up English again next year just in case i want to switch to a humanities undergrad course.
Reply 5

Did you get an unconditional with 4 highers, ( I'm asking this because I'm doing 4 highers )?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Although you will still have a good amount of Highers I honestly believe higher English is one of the most important, it's the main reason I got conditionals this year. If you can, take it as an int 2 and take it as a higher next year because it's really useful

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jack--
Did you get an unconditional with 4 highers, ( I'm asking this because I'm doing 4 highers )?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, if you get AAAA you're guaranteed an unconditional from Glasgow! (Unless you're applying for Law, Medicine, VetMed, Dentistry or Engineering.)
Reply 8
You might as well sit the exam, you've beared the class for a whole year. English is a funny one, i know quite a lot of people that have miraculously got a B in english after being no hopers for the whole year. English is always looked upon favourably by uni, it's a good qualification to have.
Reply 9
I got a B instead.
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!
so ive been doing biology higher for about 3 months and i did my first nab and failed. They want me to do a retake in a couple of weeks which is okay but i cant stand doing the subject for much longer. Im generally getting A's and B's for my other 4 subjects so really want to drop this one so that i can focus on my others. However, my guidance teacher says that if i drop it, i will still have to remain in the glass but do my own work- which i think is ridiculous. Does anyone have any experience with dropping a higher, and what the requirements are to do in the meantime. THANKYOU
Original post by Careyisawesome
SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!
so ive been doing biology higher for about 3 months and i did my first nab and failed. They want me to do a retake in a couple of weeks which is okay but i cant stand doing the subject for much longer. Im generally getting A's and B's for my other 4 subjects so really want to drop this one so that i can focus on my others. However, my guidance teacher says that if i drop it, i will still have to remain in the glass but do my own work- which i think is ridiculous. Does anyone have any experience with dropping a higher, and what the requirements are to do in the meantime. THANKYOU

Personally I haven't dropped a subject but I know people who have. :smile:
Some people who did drop a higher just went to the common room during those periods or the learning support base to do work but I've heard that some people just had to sit in the class doing their own work, though that may distract other people or themselves while the rest are learning the course.
I think that depends on the school though so you would probably have to just sit in the class. If it's just that you don't like the topic, then I'd say stick with it because it could just be that you'll find the other two units more interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending