The Student Room Group

America - like to hit but not get hit

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Chindits
Keeping the Islamists under control just as they did the Communists and fascists.

Without America's lead, we'd have Jihadists afflicting more countries with the yolk of totalitarian Islam than they already do.

Remember, the Islamists have been at it for far longer than America's war on terror (before anyone brings that up as being the spark)

Churchill warned about Islam as far back in 1899.

Oh you think so? So the hundreds of thousands of muslim kids and women that they kill and old people, and homes that they destroy is because they are "Jihadists"? The innocent defenseless muslims are "Jihadists" ? Nothing justifies killing innocent people.
Original post by Mr Advice
Haha and that makes the million murders they committed alright? Wake up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i think YOU need to wake up. million murders ?? you could be an advocate for the Sun with these exaggerations.

what is Terrorism ? a tactic used to spread terror and fear. Terrorists deliberately target innocents in order to cause panic , terror and fear.

With this knowledge in mind - does the USA attack Afghanistan/Iraq in order to deliberately spread panic and fear amongst the innocent people ? does it deliberately target the innocent people of the country ? the answer to that is NO. It targets extremists - the real criminals. This doesn't make the attacks right in a moral sense , however it does nullify any claim that America are the " real terrorists "
I'm not sure how the hell these idiots can switch from the OP's question, to Muslims in an instant. It's like your brains are hardwired to attack Islam regardless of if the thread is even to do with Islam. I won't be suprised if Chindits or slickrick pop up in a revision thread with "Death to Muslims!" posted around 50 times.
Reply 23
Original post by IdeasForLife
Aslong as its not their citizens getting, they don't give a hoot. I think they kill something like 10 civilians for every 1 militant in their drone attacks?
Btw love the way you take negging so seriously to actually go hunt down my last post to neg it, bit funny that you got so butt hurt.

Its much worse. 1 to 50 ratio

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2208307/Americas-deadly-double-tap-drone-attacks-killing-49-people-known-terrorist-Pakistan.html
Reply 24
Original post by Fas
i think YOU need to wake up. million murders ?? you could be an advocate for the Sun with these exaggerations.

what is Terrorism ? a tactic used to spread terror and fear. Terrorists deliberately target innocents in order to cause panic , terror and fear.

With this knowledge in mind - does the USA attack Afghanistan/Iraq in order to deliberately spread panic and fear amongst the innocent people ? does it deliberately target the innocent people of the country ? the answer to that is NO. It targets extremists - the real criminals. This doesn't make the attacks right in a moral sense , however it does nullify any claim that America are the " real terrorists "

Only 1/50 drone strike victims are enemy combatants. 49/50 are civilians. If that isn't terrorism..
Original post by Aj12
Given that their actions are generally not targeted at civilian populations with the main aim being to spread terror I feel confident that most of their actions do not constitute terrorism.

US Drone attacks kill 49 civilians to 1 terrorist, I would consider that targeting the civilian population
Reply 27
Original post by Andy_J
Reliable source.

Just one in 50 victims of America’s deadly drone strikes in Pakistan are terrorists while the rest are innocent civilians, a new report claimed today.
The authoritative joint study, by Stanford and New York Universities, concludes that men, women and children are being terrorised by the operations ’24 hours-a-day’.

The aim of the recent US wars has not been to spread terror through violence. In their wars they have clear aims - to defeat a particular military enemy. Even if they have ulterior goals - like securing oil (unlikely as they have bags of their own) - they still are not simply seeking to inflict violence for the sake of violence. They are therefore not terrorists. Terrorists have no goal - they don't seek to achieve anything other than random and purposeless death.

The US has undoubtedly killed many civilians. But that's what happens when their enemies hide in civilian places, amongst civilians, dressed like civilians. It's unavoidable. If the Taliban surrendered, stopped fighting, asked to negotiate, hadn't attacked the US or came out to meet them, civilians wouldn't die. They are the ones responsible.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by paddyman4
The aim of the recent US wars has not been to spread terror through violence. In their wars they have clear aims - to defeat a particular military enemy. They are therefore not terrorists. Terrorists have no goal - they don't seek to achieve anything other than random and purposeless death.

The US has undoubtedly killed many civilians. But that's what happens when their enemies hide in civilian places, amongst civilians, dressed like civilians. It's unavoidable. If the Taliban surrendered, stopped fighting, asked to negotiate, hadn't attacked the US or came out to meet them, civilians wouldn't die. They are the ones responsible.

This, there is no evidence to draw direct parellels between those behind events such as the Boston bombings and the US's role in the middle east, regardless of me not being supportive of the US's interventions.
Original post by GPODT
Only 1/50 drone strike victims are enemy combatants. 49/50 are civilians. If that isn't terrorism..

If a high civilian/military death ratio is sufficient, on its own, to define an act as terrorism, do you consider the bombings of Nazi Germany in WW2 by the British to be terrorist acts? Was Churchill a criminal?
Reply 31
Do you know of a country that does like to get hit?!

Bit of a stupid thread title.
Reply 32
Original post by HeavyTeddy
I'm not sure how the hell these idiots can switch from the OP's question, to Muslims in an instant. It's like your brains are hardwired to attack Islam regardless of if the thread is even to do with Islam. I won't be suprised if Chindits or slickrick pop up in a revision thread with "Death to Muslims!" posted around 50 times.

I didn't think of that but it is amazing. Just shows how we've become sheep to the media.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by paddyman4
The aim of the recent US wars has not been to spread terror through violence. In their wars they have clear aims - to defeat a particular military enemy. Even if they have ulterior goals - like securing oil (unlikely as they have bags of their own) - they still are not simply seeking to inflict violence for the sake of violence. They are therefore not terrorists. Terrorists have no goal - they don't seek to achieve anything other than random and purposeless death.

Even if the US had no enemy they would create one - this is the form of their imperialism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Original post by Fas

You ask all the Iraqis and Afghans what a terrorist is and ask them who is the biggest terrorist - they will say America. How can they not be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 35
Original post by RtGOAT
Quite simply they are trying to extend civilization around the world while barbaric Islamic extremists are trying to destroy civilization.

Sheep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even if the US had no enemy they would create one - this is the form of their imperialism.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Accusing the US of imperialism is a bold accusation. Would you care to back up your claims with an argument with evidence to support? Or are you just going to leave them as they are, unsupported and not credible.
Reply 37
Nation doesn't like getting bombed shocker. OP you're a tit.
Reply 38
Original post by Thriftworks
Accusing the US of imperialism is a bold accusation. Would you care to back up your claims with an argument with evidence to support? Or are you just going to leave them as they are, unsupported and not credible.

It's a different form of imperialism. It isn't about ruling a country directly but maintaining an influence over them and that area, not letting go. It's happening all over the world - the Middle East and in the Gulf region for time now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a different form of imperialism. It isn't about ruling a country directly but maintaining an influence over them and that area, not letting go. It's happening all over the world - the Middle East and in the Gulf region for time now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The US gaining influence over the middle east is inevitable. The US is a global hegemony and the largest importer of oil, thus it is inevitably going to gain influence over the middle east a region which heavily relies on oil exportation and has been unstable for a long time. Example : Us intervention in the gulf war, the UN gave the US a mandate because they were/are the global power hegemony, they didn't bother countries like Iceland, who are not as powerful. Thus Iceland did not gain influence over Kuwait

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending