The Student Room Group

Come on now "lads". Who disagrees with me...?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by The Troll Toll
Can your personality bench 2 plates? Get the **** out with your liberal ****.

I wonder... I'll give it a try in the gym next time. (May need a spotter).
Can your personality bench 2 plates? Get the **** out with your liberal ****.

Lol when the **** is doing that in todays world ever going to actually benefit you? well it probably will if your attitude is like that.. you and your prehistoric redundant cave man skills...

Go and actually go and look in the mirror instead of trying to overcompensate for your lack of a manhood.
Reply 42
The worst thing is that these people stole 2 of our best words: 'lad' and 'banter.' :frown:
Reply 43
Original post by Voltozonic
Bit of a rant due to some douche i'm battling out with on another thread whos confidence relies on going to the gym and pulling. What a man he is - yet this seems to be most men around the 20's area nowadays.

If a fit girl came up to you in a bar because she was keen and asked/expected you to buy the drinks even though you hadn't even noticed her previously would you ?

I personally wouldn't, she came over so she can by me the drink - and just me saying that now probably has the majority of you saying "what ? - what on earth is wrong with you are you bent!" This is the reaction i've gotten, just like you probably have all the way through your teenage years from your other male friends and that's why you have that reaction.

Doesn't it annoy you that when you go out, a lot of girls don't make half as much of an effort with you even though they may be just as interested in "pulling". On top of this we have this whole feministic culture which every girl (quite rightly) agrees with. A world where men and women are exactly the same - yet this is the one thing that seems to be set in stone and isn't allowed to work both ways. This is just how society works and you have to deal with it and put up with all the "lad" banter crap that's around now a days. Like c'mon.

Every single movie, magazine, book, your older brother, your dad...whatever has brought men up to believe that they are expected to make the effort and women are to expect the effort.

With a society in the present day, where men and women are as equal as they ever have been, most males think their sole purpose to achieve masculinity is to bang as many females as possible to feel confident.

Tis all about numbers right ? The more women you've "smashed" the greater an alpha male you'll be in the eyes of your male friends. Ooooh aren't you such an uber male.

Don't you think it's time a lot of males pulled their heads out of their arses, stop going to the gym if its only purpose is to get hench and pull. Start believing that they're nice and good looking guys. That you know women should want to be with you because you yourself know your a good-looking and nice guy and so therefore 50% of the time they should make the effort with you ?

Even though, i'm practically sticking up for every guy here with this rant and telling you I don't understand how it's fair that men have to make and unfair proportion of the effort all of the time when it comes to women - I'm still expecting a complete bombardment of neg's from anyone who replies. I'm expecting comments like "man-up" or that i'm having a paddy because "I'm not able to pull," that "i've never had a girlfriend" etc etc. All of which are childish responses and untrue.

If one of your male friends has pulled the most (30 girls) for example, hes the most insecure about his masulinity than the guy who's pulled 3 even though every other guy thinks he's a "lad" or whatever. Does noone else see this or is it only me ?

Why not aquire some self-worth and start believing people should make the effort with you, if you fit the societal stereotype of a modern day lad ?

EDIT: For the people skim reading and feel I slated their precious gym - I haven't said there is anything wrong with going to the gym if its to be healthy. I said it's silly if it's with the intention of getting hench with the only intention being to pull.

Interesting points, but I disagree that women should make 50% of the effort. I'd actually prefer it if we could (I'm an extrovert so like putting myself out there!), but due to certain societal stereotypes women are often seen as desperate/needy/more willing to have sex if they chase a guy, in a way that guys obviously aren't.

Most of the time, when me or my female friends tried to pull a guy/tell him we like him, it's assumed that we really like him, and he seems to expect that he can treat us worse than he could otherwise, as, after all, we're the one trying to pull him. He has higher demands of us (including sex very early on) as he's the one choosing to be with us, not the other way around. Also, as men are seen as the ones who want sex (whether or not that's actually true), when a woman behaves in a stereotypically "male" manner regarding pulling it's assumed that there must be something wrong with her as pretty much any girl can attract a guy.
Reply 44
Bit of a rant due to some douche i'm battling out with on another thread whos confidence relies on going to the gym and pulling. What a man he is - yet this seems to be most men around the 20's area nowadays.

If a fit girl came up to you in a bar because she was keen and asked/expected you to buy the drinks even though you hadn't even noticed her previously would you ?

I personally wouldn't, she came over so she can by me the drink - and just me saying that now probably has the majority of you saying "what ? - what on earth is wrong with you are you bent!" This is the reaction i've gotten, just like you probably have all the way through your teenage years from your other male friends and that's why you have that reaction.

Doesn't it annoy you that when you go out, a lot of girls don't make half as much of an effort with you even though they may be just as interested in "pulling". On top of this we have this whole feministic culture which every girl (quite rightly) agrees with. A world where men and women are exactly the same - yet this is the one thing that seems to be set in stone and isn't allowed to work both ways. This is just how society works and you have to deal with it and put up with all the "lad" banter crap that's around now a days. Like c'mon.

Every single movie, magazine, book, your older brother, your dad...whatever has brought men up to believe that they are expected to make the effort and women are to expect the effort.

With a society in the present day, where men and women are as equal as they ever have been, most males think their sole purpose to achieve masculinity is to bang as many females as possible to feel confident.

Tis all about numbers right ? The more women you've "smashed" the greater an alpha male you'll be in the eyes of your male friends. Ooooh aren't you such an uber male.

Don't you think it's time a lot of males pulled their heads out of their arses, stop going to the gym if its only purpose is to get hench and pull. Start believing that they're nice and good looking guys. That you know women should want to be with you because you yourself know your a good-looking and nice guy and so therefore 50% of the time they should make the effort with you ?

Even though, i'm practically sticking up for every guy here with this rant and telling you I don't understand how it's fair that men have to make and unfair proportion of the effort all of the time when it comes to women - I'm still expecting a complete bombardment of neg's from anyone who replies. I'm expecting comments like "man-up" or that i'm having a paddy because "I'm not able to pull," that "i've never had a girlfriend" etc etc. All of which are childish responses and untrue.

If one of your male friends has pulled the most (30 girls) for example, hes the most insecure about his masulinity than the guy who's pulled 3 even though every other guy thinks he's a "lad" or whatever. Does noone else see this or is it only me ?

Why not aquire some self-worth and start believing people should make the effort with you, if you fit the societal stereotype of a modern day lad ?

EDIT: For the people skim reading and feel I slated their precious gym - I haven't said there is anything wrong with going to the gym if its to be healthy. I said it's silly if it's with the intention of getting hench with the only intention being to pull.

Preach it. :bban:
I was in a club the other day and a girl approached me and started chatting, of course I was thinking along the lines of 'well in! she's obviously interested since I didn't have to approach her. Effortless pull aww yeah :smug:'

Anyway, I'll admit that I always buy girls drinks/make the effort, since that's just the way it's always been the majority of the time, and I would have bought this girl a dink, being the gentleman that I am ;p but for some reason I decided that since she's obviously interested I'll ask her if she's going to buy us drinks. I even gave her a cheeky wink when I said it... But it obviously offended her... she gave me a look as if to say 'u mad bro?' And walked off. :frown: yes she only really wanted drinks, but most of the time I get a cheeky neck or a pull out of it by sweet talking (chatting ****) to them as well. It's rare a girl will take the drink I buy her and just walk off, so it does work!

Moral of the story, man up and buy the girl a drink;p is it really that wrong? It's the way it's been for years, does it need to change?
Reply 46
I completely agree with everything you've said.

And i understand how the societal stereotypes work - I just have a problem with them in the present day and think efforts need to be made to change them. If we're aiming to move towards completely equality between men and women it all needs to work both ways.

Thanks - what efforts would you suggest girls make, then? I don't go for quick pulls in clubs so wouldn't buy a guy a drink lol
Original post by AverageExcellence
Lol when the **** is doing that in todays world ever going to actually benefit you? well it probably will if your attitude is like that.. you and your prehistoric redundant cave man skills...

Go and actually go and look in the mirror instead of trying to overcompensate for your lack of a manhood.

lol what are you drivelling about now. First of all are you seriously using prehistoric as an insult?? Dinosaurs are prehistoric and they were the most ripped of the whole animal kingdom, not to mention it was probably the spotters fault they died anyway.

Secondly obviously being able to bench 2 plates helps me. The main time it helps is when the bar is loaded with 2 plates and I am trying to bench it, but there are other times too. I can open jars for idiots like you who probably think jam has enough protein to sustain hypertrophy. NEWSFLASH: it doesn't, because if it did it would be powder instead of jam. Thirdly it gives me more confidence when I walk past other guys and reassure myself that I could totally take him if it ever came to that. It never does because while danger may linger I am the level headed bouncer that keeps violence in check. Fourthly the extra muscle I build increases my metabolism and enables me to drink more which is perfect for my role as bouncer. Any time there's a riot I'm getting wasted on grain alcohol and that's a straight up fact. Anyway I digress. Fifthly you are probably gay. Sixthly my whole post was a joke anyway because I actually bench 2 and a half plates and it isn't even my best lift.

Honestly the more I dismantle your feeble argument (albeit probably not as feeble as your squat) the more I feel you must have been trolling anyway. So well played sir, you had me for a minute but I worked it out in the end, probably because if my brain had biceps they'd be 18" with solid levels of vascularity.
lol what are you drivelling about now. First of all are you seriously using prehistoric as an insult?? Dinosaurs are prehistoric and they were the most ripped of the whole animal kingdom, not to mention it was probably the spotters fault they died anyway.

Secondly obviously being able to bench 2 plates helps me. The main time it helps is when the bar is loaded with 2 plates and I am trying to bench it, but there are other times too. I can open jars for idiots like you who probably think jam has enough protein to sustain hypertrophy. NEWSFLASH: it doesn't, because if it did it would be powder instead of jam. Thirdly it gives me more confidence when I walk past other guys and reassure myself that I could totally take him if it ever came to that. It never does because while danger may linger I am the level headed bouncer that keeps violence in check. Fourthly the extra muscle I build increases my metabolism and enables me to drink more which is perfect for my role as bouncers. Any time there's a riot I'm getting wasted on grain alcohol and that's a straight up fact. Anyway I digress. Fifthly you are probably gay. Sixthly my whole post was a joke anyway because I actually bench 2 and a half plates and it isn't even my best lift.

Honestly the more I dismantle your feeble argument (albeit probably not as feeble as your squat) the more I feel you must have been trolling anyway. So well played sir, you had me for a minute but I worked it out in the end, probably because if my brain had biceps they'd be 18" with solid levels of vascularity.

Lol do you even read what you're writing? you're full of poop mate im actually laughing. You're so insecure its actually unreal.. And you a bouncer? I know a number of bouncer.. none would be as pathetic as you to come on a student page and start bragging about how big and strong they are (you probably are an amateur anyway. You couldn't dismantle a special persons argument in an early learning centre.

You don't even know me so how can you comment on my exercising lolol. I bet you're skill in school. The only jars you open are tubs of penis enlargement cream for your tiny wang..
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
Original post by james1211
Does buying a woman a drink even work? I'd have to be pretty retarded to automatically want to bang someone just because they paid for a drink for me.

no

and if girls come up and actually ask for a drink then chances are they are just literally using you for a free drink.
As a girl I totally agree with this.

I hate guys buying me drinks, it makes it seem like they're trying to buy the chance to talk to you. Or even that they think they can buy sex with a drink worth about £2 :rolleyes:
I'll generally talk to most people at the bar and happily buy my own drinks. If we'd been getting on well and I liked them I'd probably let them buy me a drink if they offered, and then I'd offer next time.

I hate the massive hench guys that seem to have competitions about who can pull the most girls. This is why I don't really like clubs or bars for meeting people. Also guys flashing money around is just irritating.

Also girls really need to put more effort in if they like someone. The past two guys I was seeing I've been the one to make the effort because I liked them and they appreciated it. My last boyfriend was quite shy with girls but became pretty confident after I'd made the first move. I will happily ask a guy out for a drink and pay for the drink if he lets me. I think whoever invites the person out should pay.

Also on the subject of hench guys, my last boyfriend weighed about the same as me (I'm not fat).
(edited 11 years ago)
If a lady goes to a bar and expects to be bought drinks and offers nothing in return...

...she needs to be introduced to the 21st century. Chivalry is dead. Politeness and common courtesy are the order of the day.

I also pray for the day where it is a social norm for a girl to approach a guy in a bar and chat him up.

Too many fellas out there with low self esteem because they can't persevere and realise that depending on their looks and charm, they may have to try a few times and fail before they pull.

Luckily I have a brass neck and alcohol dependency. Problem solved.
Original post by AverageExcellence
Lol do you even read what you're writing? you're full of poop mate im actually laughing. You're so insecure its actually unreal.. And you a bouncer? I know a number of bouncer.. none would be as pathetic as you to come on a student page and start bragging about how big and strong they are (you probably are an amateur anyway. You couldn't dismantle a special persons argument in an early learning centre.

You don't even know me so how can you comment on my exercising lolol. I bet you're skill in school. The only jars you open are tubs of penis enlargement cream for your tiny wang..

Um no I write what I'm writing so why would I read it? Definite :troll:
Um no I write what I'm writing so why would I read it? Definite :troll:

Kl story bro
I seriously haven't met these women that expect drinks to be bought for them. Like do they actually go up to people and ask for drinks?? Not enough do this to even mention it tbh, problem is too many guys use it as a way to 'get in there' and ruin it for other guys.
Reply 55
nah you don't lift
Original post by Nomes89
I seriously haven't met these women that expect drinks to be bought for them. Like do they actually go up to people and ask for drinks?? Not enough do this to even mention it tbh, problem is too many guys use it as a way to 'get in there' and ruin it for other guys.

I have never let anyone (other than friends) buy me a drink, let alone ASK for one. People do this? The effort involved would not be worth the hassle if you literally did just want a free drink :s-smilie:

Anyway, I see what the thread-starter's point is. We can't moan about sexism in a one-sided way. It is kind of expected that men will pay for dinner or a date or whatever in some circumstances still. If you both earn money, what's the point?

I say everyone should hold the door open for the person behind them and chivalry should just be politeness between human beings. I don't mind people being nice, but some people go so out of the way to be gentlemanly, it's like '...i'm OK holding this door. Really. you don't need to run from ten yards away to come and open it for me. Too much.'
Reply 57
36bw9a.jpg
Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt
If a lady goes to a bar and expects to be bought drinks and offers nothing in return...

...she needs to be introduced to the 21st century. Chivalry is dead. Politeness and common courtesy are the order of the day.

I also pray for the day where it is a social norm for a girl to approach a guy in a bar and chat him up.

Too many fellas out there with low self esteem because they can't persevere and realise that depending on their looks and charm, they may have to try a few times and fail before they pull.

Luckily I have a brass neck and alcohol dependency. Problem solved.

How you doing? :wink:
(that's my best chat up line)

I agree that I don't think it's weird for girls to chat guys up, I do it if I like someone.

I think the trouble is that these guys with low self-esteem think that all their women problems will be solved by gaining a few kilograms and buying a polo shirt. Once they've disposed of their initial charming one-liners they are exposed as the boring, shallow guys they really are.
Most of these guys have the personality and integrity of a wet biscuit.
Original post by therisenmitten
How you doing? :wink:
(that's my best chat up line)

I agree that I don't think it's weird for girls to chat guys up, I do it if I like someone.

I think the trouble is that these guys with low self-esteem think that all their women problems will be solved by gaining a few kilograms and buying a polo shirt. Once they've disposed of their initial charming one-liners they are exposed as the boring, shallow guys they really are.
Most of these guys have the personality and integrity of a wet biscuit.

Haha, for lads, cheesy chat up lines are awful. But if a cute lass used one on me, the fact that such occurrences are so rare would make have me smitten.

You have to admit its extremely rare for girls to initiate. It's a social/cultural thing for sure. The social roles women have been burdened with in the west. I just think it's a shame.

And now that I think of it, I'm perfectly happy to see rugby player/polo shirt wearing/lad culture embracing Neanderthals dress overtly as such.

It makes guys like me stand out more.

I think a girl has approached me once in bar, and only with the less than discrete prompting from her mates.

If I had an ugly face I'd most definitely be hitting the gym.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending