The Student Room Group

"I didn't revise anything, I don't give a **** about exams." *Gets 10 A*'s*

Of course the title is a bit of an exaggeration but still.

People say they don't revise. Ever. And then on August the 23rd they get mostly A/A*'s (some full UMS marks).

And then they say "I don't know how I got that I didn't know anything."

No bitch, you revised. You revised to your heart's ****ing content.

Why do people do this? It pisses me off. I'm sorry for the exaggeration and swearing but this ALWAYS happens. Just say you revised. What are you gonna lose?

Edit: Note I said people who claim they do not revise AT ALL, not "a bit". And then they get A/A*'s and claim they didn't understand anything. Please.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Some people actually are smart, and don't need to revise that much. Most exams (humanities) don't have that much content, so revising for 10 hours a day wouldn't help you a whole lot anyway. The key is to understand what to do in the exam.
Reply 2
I guess they just meant they didnt think they revised enough to get an A*
Reply 3
I think what most people mean is that they didn't revise as much as they could have done. Certainly by the time you do A-Levels you realise how little the workload was at GCSE anyway :smile:
I agree! People seem to be almost ashamed of revising, but why? I don't understand, because surely you should feel proud of working hard and getting good grades as a result... I know people that say before exams "I haven't even revised at all..." yet they are the people that revise the most and their grades show it. I always admit that I revise for hours if anyone asks, because I don't think it seems cool not to revise like some people must think, and I like people to know that I've been working hard.

I also know people that say "revising is cheating." I can't help but laugh at that statement, because it just seems like a ridiculous thing to say...
Reply 5
Original post by Tabzqt
Some people actually are smart, and don't need to revise that much. Most exams (humanities) don't have that much content, so revising for 10 hours a day wouldn't help you a whole lot anyway. The key is to understand what to do in the exam.

Hm, isn't History a humanity? That's probably the subject with the most content (that I do).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Ry_p94
Hm, isn't History a humanity? That's probably the subject with the most content (that I do).

still not that much content tbh.
It's also probably easier for most people to remember historical figures and events than complex physics formulas or whatever.
Original post by Tabzqt

No but not revising AT ALL and not understanding much of the context - I'm sure that would NOT get you full marks. A lot of people in my school have stated this and gotten full UMS marks. I am sorry but this makes me so angry.
Original post by Albino
I guess they just meant they didnt think they revised enough to get an A*

No but they say they didn't revise AT ALL. If this is the case then they could just say "I didn't revise that much."
Original post by Ry_p94
I think what most people mean is that they didn't revise as much as they could have done. Certainly by the time you do A-Levels you realise how little the workload was at GCSE anyway :smile:

They state they didn't revise AT ALL. Yes I'd love to see what grades&believers them lies get them at A-Levels.
Whilst some people are just trying to impress people or are trying to be cool, there are still people who have a natural ability to absorb and understand information and do not need to revise as much. You can't just say "No bitch, you revised" because that's just factually incorrect for some people.

Having said that, even if you don't revise, that doesn't give you an excuse to show off about it.
Reply 9
Original post by Tabzqt
It's also probably easier for most people to remember historical figures and events than complex physics formulas or whatever.

Seriously? History is so full of content, our teacher told us to start revising months ago!
Reply 10
It depends on the person. I didn't revise for more than a few hours for each exam. Some exams I did nothing, for example English and Maths. I had family issues which meant going home to revise was the least of my concerns. Some people don't have to revise, learning the content in the lesson is enough for some subjects.
I don't understand this either. If you fail, you just look like a berk. If you pass with top marks, then clearly you're full of crap. If you get average grades, what do you want, a Blue Peter badge?

I think it's a bit of a safety net. People think that by saying this, if they fail to meet expectations, they can say yolo and swag and Ali G and whatever else. I hate people.
Original post by Kira13
Seriously? History is so full of content, our teacher told us to start revising months ago!

Some people just have a brilliant memory. Most people find History one of the most difficult subjects in terms of content, but for those with an excellent memory and who understand the exam technique, it's easy.
Original post by Dougieowner
I agree! People seem to be almost ashamed of revising, but why? I don't understand, because surely you should feel proud of working hard and getting good grades as a result... I know people that say before exams "I haven't even revised at all..." yet they are the people that revise the most and their grades show it. I always admit that I revise for hours if anyone asks, because I don't think it seems cool not to revise like some people must think, and I like people to know that I've been working hard.

I also know people that say "revising is cheating." I can't help but laugh at that statement, because it just seems like a ridiculous thing to say...

Exactly, and I be honest. Because I also like encouraging other people to revise. If I revise and get A/A*'s, then wouldn't that encourage them to revise?

Whereas, there are people who say "nah, I've just watched TV the whole time". And suddenly, BAM! Miracle they get A*'s! No.
They just want to lull you into a false sense of security - "if so and so isn't revising you will feel less inclined to yourself".

I hate these sort of people, they aren't your friends and don't want you to do well.
If it's GCSE you're talking about then some people just honestly didn't revise. At that level it's still pretty easy to get by with natural ability.
I'm not going to claim I did "nothing" but I just went to all my revision classes (no study leave) and revised for each exam a night or two before and got 12 A*/A. I would hardly say I revised "to my hearts content". Also two of those were art so I couldn't revise if I wanted to.

I'm not trying to say I'm a genius because uni is a completely different story! I work really hard.
I'll admit there are a lot of people who claim not to do anything but secretly they're in the library every night. I guess it will always be considered "cool" to not do any work or to try and convince everyone that you are some sort of prodigy.
Reply 16
Original post by Kira13

Not really. Our course is British history 1951-2007, and although that is a fairly long period, all you need to do is remember key events/statements/continuity/changes. It would be much harder if you had to remember every detail, but that is never expected of you.
Original post by Tabzqt

That may be for you. Others can have different ability with History.
Original post by Chlorophile
Whilst some people are just trying to impress people or are trying to be cool, there are still people who have a natural ability to absorb and understand information and do not need to revise as much. You can't just say "No bitch, you revised" because that's just factually incorrect for some people.

Having said that, even if you don't revise, that doesn't give you an excuse to show off about it.

This is about people who say they do not revise AT ALL. I understand that about people who do revise a bit and can still ace. But if someone hasn't revised AT ALL and get a*'s and then claim they didn't understand ANYTHING. Then yes. I can say "No bitch, you revised".
I actually didn't revise at all for my GCSE's and got Bs As and A*s - I also missed 20% of the two years apparently.
That's the last time I've been able to do it tho haha - professional financial exams are hard!!
Everyone is different, some people have to work their asses off to get Cs, some people can coast by and get A*s - it will catch up with them at some point tho...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SexiestNameEver
That may be for you. Others can have different ability with History.

This is about people who say they do not revise AT ALL. I understand that about people who do revise a bit and can still ace. But if someone hasn't revised AT ALL and get a*'s and then claim they didn't understand ANYTHING. Then yes. I can say "No bitch, you revised".

If someone claims they didn't revise at all and didn't understand anything, I agree they're talking utter nonsense. I've never personally heard anyone say this, and I know a lot of show-offs.

Latest