The Student Room Group

Higher Modern Studies 2012-13: Discussion and Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by weejackie10
The WHO report in 2008 on world health identified that the Calton area of East Glasgow plagued with high unemployment has the lowest life expectancy in the developed world at 53.9? Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it's this one, thanks!
Hey, I was wondering if any of you guys reckon for the USA topic there'll be a question on the supreme court controlling the powers of the president? I can only find one point for the supreme court and that's judicial review... so if it comes up I won't have a very balanced essay...
No problem, very slim chance that was last years question. It'll be on social/economic influence or American dream goes in a pattern 07,09,11 wasn't last year so if assume its this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
I assume it's this year*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! That's a weight off my shoulders! I feel prepared for those two essays so here's hoping! :wink:
Reply 1145
Does anyone have any essay plans for BEE or lifestyle choices affecting health? Thanks.
Original post by Awesome_Possum
Hey, I was wondering if any of you guys reckon for the USA topic there'll be a question on the supreme court controlling the powers of the president? I can only find one point for the supreme court and that's judicial review... so if it comes up I won't have a very balanced essay...

there wont be a complete essay on that cause theres not much to say really, hence why they chuck in congress and supreme court together as theres more to say about congress checking the presidents power. your better revising other questions tbh cause this wont come up :smile:
Getting slightly more confident... Probably won't be the case in a few minutes though :frown:
How's everyone doing today? Revising I hope :wink: Been up since 5am myself... feeling pretty confident though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NinetyOne
How's everyone doing today? Revising I hope :wink: Been up since 5am myself... feeling pretty confident though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How are you revising?

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the USA I'm revising the American Dream, S&E inequalities, political progress/political influence of ethnic minorities. Is there anything else I should cover?
This is what I've revised:

Voting systems - AMS/STV vs FPTP
USA - EM influence on elections, social and economic inequalities/American dream, govt responses and am about to do immigration
Health and Wealth - govt responses to inequality, gender, health and wealth link, but feel a bit shaky on collectivism vs individualism and gender
Africa - NGOs and UNOs.
Original post by youjustburnkid
For the USA I'm revising the American Dream, S&E inequalities, political progress/political influence of ethnic minorities. Is there anything else I should cover?

Immigration and I've also revised govt responses to inequalities.
Original post by ladymarshmallow
Immigration and I've also revised govt responses to inequalities.

Oh yeah I've done immigration, and kind of covered the govt responses in my revision, but I might look at that in more depth :smile:
What is the difference between a grade C and B essay? Our teacher never gave us marks for essays so I don't know what standard mine are. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1156
Lack of ethnic minority representation in congress, such as the fact that there are currently no black senators.

Just to mention in case this comes up, there are now 2 black senators.
Reply 1157
This is what I've revised:

Voting systems - AMS/STV vs FPTP
USA - EM influence on elections, social and economic inequalities/American dream, govt responses and am about to do immigration
Health and Wealth - govt responses to inequality, gender, health and wealth link, but feel a bit shaky on collectivism vs individualism and gender
Africa - NGOs and UNOs.

Is health and wealth link the same as impact of income on health?

and what two for health and wealth do you think are most likely to come up?

I'm just learning impact of income on health and collectivism vs individualism.
Original post by Scrabble96
What is the difference between a grade C and B essay? Our teacher never gave us marks for essays so I don't know what standard mine are. :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Grade C you're looking at just a pass 8/15. B will probably be 10 or 11 upwards?
Does anyone have any sample essays (or even essay plans) on government policies to reduce poverty? Because I can't think of much the coalition has done in terms of that...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending