The Student Room Group

French help

French is under a month away, just needed some tips on what recommended to revise, any good phrases, example essays? I looooooooove french but I know the exam is going to go badly - slight pessimism but its true :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Are you doing GCSE or A Level, and which exam board?

You can't go wrong with doing loads of past papers because then you can see the style of questions you are going to get asked. It also depends on what your weak points are? Speaking, listening, reading, writing?
Reply 2
Original post by Yunggee
French is under a month away, just needed some tips on what recommended to revise, any good phrases, example essays? I looooooooove french but I know the exam is going to go badly - slight pessimism but its true :frown:

I'm guessing you're doing A-level?
I can help you! :biggrin: Just reply to my message so I know that you're still interested! :h:
Reply 3
Original post by boumavilla
I'm guessing you're doing A-level?
I can help you! :biggrin: Just reply to my message so I know that you're still interested! :h:

Yeah I'm interested, Yep A-Levels, the killer ones
Reply 4
Original post by Yunggee
Yeah I'm interested, Yep A-Levels, the killer ones

So what would you like to know? :h: Ask away!

You mentioned essay phrases, I could give you some of those? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Yeah for both speaking and stuff I can use in my french essays for all topics.
Reply 6
Here's a list of some from the top of my head that i hope will help! :woo:

Réflechissons d'abord à... - Let us first of all think about...
Tout bien considéré - All well considered
D’autre part/En revanche/Au contraire/Par contre- On the other hand
Il va de soi que - It goes without saying that
J’aurais pensé que - I would have thought that
Il faut peser le pour et le contre - One must weigh up the pros and cons
Je dirais que - I would say that
J’en ai marre! - I am fed up!
Il faut tenit compte du fait que - We must take into account the fact that
Il se peut que - It could be that

Also remember to use lots of opinion phrases and connectives and try to fit in some subjunctives using phrases like "il faut que" (it is necessary that) etc... :yep:
And don't panic in the speaking! :wink:
Reply 7
thanks dude :smile:

Also, do you know what I could do to improve the essay section of the written paper, any good sites or anything?
Much appreciated :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Yunggee
thanks dude :smile:

Also, do you know what I could do to improve the essay section of the written paper, any good sites or anything?
Much appreciated :smile:

I don't use sites tbh. I think it's good to be concise, separate your points into paragraphs and include plenty of fancy phrases! :h:

Remember TSV too (Topic Specific Vocab), where say if you were asked about cinema, you could spout out words into wonderfully crafted sentences and paragraphs to make a great argument! :biggrin: Words for directors, writers, special effects, actors and plenty opinion phrases are needed!

I would give you some ideas in French but I have a Spanish speaking on Friday so I'm trying not to get myself too confused! :mmm:
Reply 9
How did Spanish go? Mine is under a week now :eek:
Original post by Yunggee
How did Spanish go? Mine is under a week now :eek:

Fairly well, thanks! :h:
Once it started well I felt quite confident about it all! :smile:

I'm all French now, mine is on Thursday at 10am! :woo:
I'm not as prepared as I was for Spanish, for 2 main reasons:
1) Spanish is slightly easier
2) My Spanish teachers are better than my French ones :tongue:

So how are you doing? :biggrin:
Reply 11
So very scared, am quite literally almost crapping myself :/ how did French go, any tips?? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Original post by Yunggee
So very scared, am quite literally almost crapping myself :/ how did French go, any tips?? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Hey! :h:

Yeah I thought it went quite well, thanks! :biggrin:
About the same as my Spanish, where I've been hinted a B. Which although I really want As, the speaking exams are so difficult... :frown:

Ok, tips:
-Keep Calm
-Think to yourself that you'll beast it as you walk in, confidence ensures 50% of the marks :wink:
-If you don't know a word, don't say it
-Take water
-Take a stress-ball
-Try to crack a joke or two to liven yourself up and boost confidence (I did this in both of my exams :colone:)
-Learn some hesitators or French speaker words, basically, things like, "you know", "well", "maybe"
-Sound enthusiastic and really confident! :woo:
Reply 13
Here's a list of some from the top of my head that i hope will help! :woo:

Réflechissons d'abord à... - Let us first of all think about...
Tout bien considéré - All well considered
D’autre part/En revanche/Au contraire/Par contre- On the other hand
Il va de soi que - It goes without saying that
J’aurais pensé que - I would have thought that
Il faut peser le pour et le contre - One must weigh up the pros and cons
Je dirais que - I would say that
J’en ai marre! - I am fed up!
Il faut tenit compte du fait que - We must take into account the fact that
Il se peut que - It could be that

Also remember to use lots of opinion phrases and connectives and try to fit in some subjunctives using phrases like "il faut que" (it is necessary that) etc... :yep:
And don't panic in the speaking! :wink:

Your tips are really good especially the ones for speaking, but I didn't see them before my French oral. I was stressed but I went through with it. I liked it in the end. Do you have any tips for intros/conclusions?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Smarticus
Your tips are really good especially the ones for speaking, but I didn't see them before my French oral. I was stressed but I went through with it. I liked it in the end. Do you have any tips for intros/conclusions?

Thanks! :h:

Indeed, afterwards you feel good, because you've just spoken another language for 20 minutes straight! :biggrin:

Well, in those phrases, there are some phrases that are suitable for the intros and conclusions, but also, you could say in your intro about how you are going to discuss x and y in your essay. In the conclusion, don't introduce new points, repeat your intro and attempt to include an opinion. :smile:
Reply 15
Thanks and yeah, I was shocked that I spoke for that time as well. I enjoy French a lot. However, it all counts on me tbf, this is the first time my sixth form has introduced French and only 4 people (all boys including myself) do it, but I enjoy it as we always banter each other in French, which is always fun

Reply 16
Hey! :h:

Yeah I thought it went quite well, thanks! :biggrin:
About the same as my Spanish, where I've been hinted a B. Which although I really want As, the speaking exams are so difficult... :frown:

Ok, tips:
-Keep Calm
-Think to yourself that you'll beast it as you walk in, confidence ensures 50% of the marks :wink:
-If you don't know a word, don't say it
-Take water
-Take a stress-ball
-Try to crack a joke or two to liven yourself up and boost confidence (I did this in both of my exams :colone:)
-Learn some hesitators or French speaker words, basically, things like, "you know", "well", "maybe"
-Sound enthusiastic and really confident! :woo:

Thanks dude :adore:
I'm still so nervous, do you know any non cliche ways to greet and leave the examiner?
:france:
Original post by Yunggee
Thanks dude :adore:
I'm still so nervous, do you know any non cliche ways to greet and leave the examiner?
:france:

Well, just greet them normally! :tongue:

In my experience, the language teachers just say, "Hello, how are you?" and then reply with something normal! :h: Like, Je vais bien! :biggrin:

It's likely you won't have to say bye or anything, so don't worry about that.

If you're nervous, it means you're going to do well! :wink:
Reply 18
Haha that made me smile, partly because I wish that was true -And because I get nervous for every exam and the results aren't always so hot.

Have you done the big written+listening+essay one yet? Don't know what to do about that one :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending